Audio Quality Opinions Sought - Can we hear aliasing in a mix?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
4090 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi all. I am doing some experimentation with audio and was hoping to your subjective opinios. Not on the music or playing but on the audio quality. If you happen to have a spare moment to listen to some of this and give my your critical opinion I'd appreciate it. Looking for your thoughts on the audio quality in whatever manner comes to mind...

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/sy ... i81OdhAbcm

Disclaimer: This was not meant to be a scienfic study, but rather an exploration of the topic to see what people would say and if there was any correlation or useful data to be extracted. Results will be a matter of opinion and not fact.
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
7434 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:04 am

well, to me it comes over as one big blur except for the steel drum sound that really sticks out like a sore thumb. keep at it. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRian
1162 posts since 23 Jun, 2007 from Findlay OH USA

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:10 am

I feel a bit sketchy commenting on the audio quality without having a sense of what kind of mix you want to achieve. The emergent parts come through nicely though. Overall I'd characterize the mix as a bit "dirty" - which isn't necessarily bad - but again that might be just what you want.

Best regards,

dp

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 am

You are getting the idea. this is not meant to be representative of some goal I am trying to achieve. I grant it's weaknesses - thats what I am looking for - whats bad about it to your ears and anything that might sound good. Sorry to be vague at this point but I dont want to lead you into any specific direct. Just take it for what it is and let me know how hits you, if you have the time and inclination. Thanks for the comments so far, thats what I am looking for. And dont worry, I know how to mix (for reassurance you can check out my tracks on soubdcloud under that account)

addled muppet weed
74960 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:42 am

bit "fizzy" in the highs.
lacks bass definition.
mids are fairly consistent with presence, clarity of individual parts.

im on the phone at the minute, so these could be different elsewhere.
but reading your second post above, maybe you're looking for weaknesses across diff playback?

KVRian
1067 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:07 pm

I can´t really say something about the audio quality of an unbalanced and "dirty" mix. I´d say that "audio quality" is fundamental. Tape vs 96 kHz.

But OK - let´s just say unbalanced and "dirty".

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm

This is great feedback! Thanks!

It's natural to think that I am driving at some goal with it musically or production. I am not. So don't worry about being offensive. This is more of a study in perception. So keep the feedback coming. I did clean the mix up a bit after the first two comments just to make it easier to hear whats going on. I will reveal what this is about when I get some more feedback.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 pm

I'd like to get a few more posts with some feedback on the audio quality in the first post and then I can tell you what this is all about and close the study off. If you don't mind taking a listen and pointing out anything that irritates you with as much specifics as possible. Not so much about the mix, but the over-all audio quality. Thanks!

KVRist
199 posts since 2 Sep, 2012

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:49 pm

The mid range is nice for sure.
I find the low end is lacking, the kick is subby and all, but there seems then a gap between the low end and mids. High end is likewise missing for me. Just taking in the overall sound, it gives me an uneasy feeling for some reason, almost disoriented. Good job! I’m interested to find out what this experiment is about.

KVRAF
3189 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:09 pm

I find the low end is overpowering and the mix in general kind of blurs together, frequencies between the instruments seem to be stepping on each others' toes.
A well-behaved signature.

KVRAF
29266 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Soundcloud audio isn't the best, which makes commenting on the quality of the audio of the track difficult. Having said that I agree with what JerGoertz wrote. Seems to lack bass & treble and has way too much going on imho. :shrug:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone. For what it's worth, here is the reveal and final results. This study was to try and answer the question "For a synth that many complain has aliasing, in a mix can anyone hear the aliasing to the point of it being a problem?"

This track uses 10 instances of Cherry Audio CA2600 including the drums.

Results here:
viewtopic.php?p=8023875#p8023875

Disclaimer: This was not meant to be a scienfic study, but rather an exploration of the topic to see what people would say and if there was any correlation or useful data to be extracted. Results will be a matter of opinion and not fact.

Return to “Music Cafe”