GForce OB-E talk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think what lets the SEM-V down is the lack of a unison option in the voice allocation modes. It seems like a really obvious omission.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

the instrument sounds fantastic, but i came here to post an issue with the gui. i have since found a workaround for it.

problem:
using fl studio on windows...the vst opens at over 100% vertical screen resolution. this results in the bottom portion being off screen and unreachable to see, use, or resize.

workaround:
go into flstudio settings - general - advanced - check "dont limit windows to screen". close fl studio and reopen it. you should now be able to move the window up far enough to reach the resize corner. after resizing you can put your fl studio settings back and close the program as the vst will now remember the new size.

there should really be an about/settings menu when you click the oberheim ob-e logo that lets you access theses kinds of things directly (the expected behavior for a vst)....or at least allow the gui to be resized from any corner and/or with keyboard commands. also...why is it so huge in the first place?

hope this helps someone in the future.
ImageImageImage

If I gotta chip in my two cents, I would prefer if aftertouch messages weren't suddenly cut off by the sequencer retriggering notes. I noticed this when trying to add some aftertouch to SEM8's filter when playing a sequence in SEM8 mode. Perhaps an additional aftertouch mode that holds the channel pressure message somehow?

After playing around a bit more last night, I decided that I'd rather have Au$200 in my bank account than OB-E in my plugins folder. At US$49 I probably wouldn't have even bothered demoing it first but it's just way too expensive in a market where you can regularly get bx_oberhausen for $29.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Of course, this sounds good, there is no denying that, but it seems the show patches rely overly on the really excellent delay and new reverb for the wow factor. Turn that off and it doesn't sound so special.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:12 pm Of course, this sounds good, there is no denying that, but it seems the show patches rely overly on the really excellent delay and new reverb for the wow factor. Turn that off and it doesn't sound so special.
I disagree
The first thing I do when testdriving a plug is turning off the effects ,OB-E still sounds spectacular
Perhaps some are not familiar with the oberheim SEM sound and don't know what to expect .
It sounds bloody ace :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:58 pm
woodsdenis wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:12 pm Of course, this sounds good, there is no denying that, but it seems the show patches rely overly on the really excellent delay and new reverb for the wow factor. Turn that off and it doesn't sound so special.
I disagree
The first thing I do when testdriving a plug is turning off the effects ,OB-E still sounds spectacular
Perhaps some are not familiar with the oberheim SEM sound and don't know what to expect .
It sounds bloody ace :tu:
What he said!!

Rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, I've never owned *any* hardware synth let alone the SEM but to my ears the difference between this and other 8-voice emulations is night and day. Not a subtle difference at all.

But not to bx_oberhausen. To my mind, emulating the 8 Voice is pretty dumb, all that's needed is a polyphonic SEM. The 8 Voice interface is way over the top and it just gets in the way.

After spending more time with the obe. There are good number of quality sounds made for it.
Even though I can't use the modwheel for anything atm, it's still an excellent synth. I liked the sequencer sounds, and the unison sounds most. It looks like a lot of work to program it. A lot of options.

In the video Tom Oberheim says this is the only plugin that sounds like the actual hardware. I would trust his ears especially since he has nothing to do with G-force.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

What other plugins are there that are exact emulations of this?

AnX wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:50 am What other plugins are there that are exact emulations of this?
Cherry Audio’s Eight Voice.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

mcnoone wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:09 am It looks like a lot of work to program it.
That, then the price, have me wondering if I'd use it. And, of course, the lack of an init in the demo also stifled trying it out. I already KNOW I like the Oberheim SEM filter.

Yeah, I thought the omission of an INIT patch was very strange. Like you, it definitely stifled my attempts to decide if it was worth spending a small fortune on. In the end it was probably the determining factor - no INIT patch, hard to program, very expensive, why bother?

Return to “Instruments”