Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

A very long awaited news IMO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.synkrostudio.it, www. roundoround.com

It would be fantastic news if the future would also bring gapless playback to Cubase :lol:

And hopefully dongle-free doesn't mean subscription based only.

Are they going to refund existing users for having to buy that damned thing in the first place? ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The tone of those statements on their Twitter feed feels like it's something more substantial than just a change to the authentication system. And the fact they announced it so early makes me suspicious that this is a major change and they are allowing time for users to get used to the idea. I could be wrong but I bet they are going down the subscription route.

Seeing that they release every major and point release almost in the same time every year, they could easily go with Bitwig renew plan too.

I'd be damned if they wouldn't have worked towards a subscription system by now, which would have meant dropping the dongle, and going online authorisation anyway.

I would guee that that's what it means. Well, nice move anyway, as I can't imagine them dropping perpetual license in the process. :)

And... not that I want to emphasize it, but, I kind of predicted that (them dropping the dongle) a few days ago. :P

'the new environment'

sounds not even slightly ominous.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BTW, I hope they make their older products dongle free as well then. At least I wouldn't want to keep the dongle for Halion Symphonic Orchestra alone then.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 am 'the new environment'

sounds not even slightly ominous.
As I wrote, I'll be damned if that doesn't mean some kind of subscription system. "The Steinberg Cloud" or something. ;)

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 am ... sounds not even slightly ominous.
... some kind of subscription system.
:o well, that would be from bad to worse ... :ud:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 am ... sounds not even slightly ominous.
... some kind of subscription system.
:o well, that would be from bad to worse ... :ud:
Only if they don't do perpetual licenses at all anymore. Which I highly doubt. They probably rather go the way Presonus went with Sphere.

YES!!

Steinberg really need to bring High Sierra support back for those many users of Mac Pro 5.1's stuck on 10.0.6 :-(

I also suspect subscription on the way...hopefully (for Cubase users) Like Studio Ones system (buy or subscribe)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”