Sonarworks SoundID Reference

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The All New Reference is Here

New update includes long-awaited custom target and translation check features, along with multiple user interface and driver improvements.

Hey there,

We're excited to finally reveal all details about our new product update that's now known as SoundID Reference (formerly known as Sonarworks Reference).
Here's a quick summary of things we have changed and improved.

👉 Custom Target curve adjustments
You have full control to adjust the target curve in real-time, including the ability to limit the calibration frequency range.

👉 Save precious time with Translation Check
You can now access a library of 20 predefined simulations that will allow you to check your mix in different listening environments.

👉 Two new systemwide driver modes for Windows users
Finally, near 0 latency for Windows users.

👉 Updated user interface for improved user experience
Multiple improvements and new changes to simplify and streamline your workflow.

Read more about the changes.

I just got that email. As a reference 4 owner, you can apparently get a free trial. Here are different upgrade paths. 89€ upgrade from studio, 39€ for the headphone edition.

Any thoughts?

gondii wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 pm 👉 Two new systemwide driver modes for Windows users
Finally, near 0 latency for Windows users.
This is the only reason I'd probably look at upgrading, not really interested in the other features as I wouldn't use them apart from maybe the different listening environments but I'm looking at getting some Slate VSX for that.

Would be interested in hearing thoughts on the new drivers for windows though before I jump and upgrade

Be sure to demo to see how it runs on your PC. Early reports sound like it's buggy. You may want to hold off a bit, but if anyone's champing at the bit to upgrade, definitely try to demo it first.

I installed the demo, but it won't start up at all. Good start.

I'm not sure if the studio version comes with app so you can listen to calibrated music on your phone?

I also wonder what that means for Reference 4. As I read it, will be the last version under that name, so I'm also not expecting any further updates. Sonarworks has become pretty essential for me, so I'll probably upgrade eventually, provided it's running on my system...

Yeah, I'm sure I'll also eventually upgrade. But Reference has had a recent history of becoming unusable with new, big updates, then slowly improving. I don't want to mess with what ain't broke at the moment.

gondii wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:44 pm I installed the demo, but it won't start up at all. Good start.
Same here. I knew nothing about this new release, but was working yesterday and saw within the VST plugin that there was a new update available. I hadn't updated in a while, so thought what the heck and hit 'Download'. It took me to the website download page, but instead of showing me the last version of 4.x it gave me SoundID instead. Having no clue, I thought it was just an update with a rebrand, so I installed it.

Big mistake... wouldn't start/load at all. The Windows EXE process for it just fails and restarts continuously in a loop. I uninstalled v4.x, uninstalled SoundID, deleted all of the folders for everything, rebooted multiple times, reinstalled and same thing. Finally, after 30-40 min of trying to get it to work I realized this was a paid update and immediately re-installed the last version of 4.x. Thankfully, all of my presets were still there.

$119 seems pretty excessive for what this update is so far at least for how I use. There should have been a much better intro offer for existing customers. I won't be upgrading any time soon... not until there's a major sale or discount let alone what seems to be significant issues with the initial release.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 pm . . . But Reference has had a recent history of becoming unusable with new, big updates, then slowly improving. I don't want to mess with what ain't broke at the moment.
So true. When Reference 4 was new, it almost blew my studio monitors with random, intermittent pops.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

sl1200mk2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:42 am $119 seems pretty excessive for what this update is so far at least for how I use. There should have been a much better intro offer for existing customers. I won't be upgrading any time soon... not until there's a major sale or discount let alone what seems to be significant issues with the initial release.
I believe they dropped the upgrade price to $89.

Yeah, they dropped the upgrade but $89 is still too high. I'm going to wait and see on this release. Reference 4 is a big part of my workflow and it works right now. I don't see what this release brings to the table for me.

I also don't feel like I need an upgrade right now, although I would like to try the demo (still not working). I assume that upgrades are also discounted during sales, so it might also be worth waiting for a few months in this case.

Yeah, not sure the new features are worth 89 bucks for me. Custom target curve could be interesting, but not sure if necessary.
I finally got systemwide working so that it runs without problems (e.g. regularly forgetting its presets), and the plugin works anyway.

Same here. I have Ref 4 speakers+headphones. It just works. $90 for the upgrade would only happen if I were very flush with cash. These days $90 for the budget sector is a lot of coin.

They are slightly cheaper over at JRR Shop (you know, with the code GROUP or FORUM). I'm sure that the upgrades will be on sale at some point, I think I'll wait and see.

gondii wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm They are slightly cheaper over at JRR Shop (you know, with the code GROUP or FORUM). I'm sure that the upgrades will be on sale at some point, I think I'll wait and see.
With FORUM it's currently 79something dollar.
Last edited by martinjuenke on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I used Sonarworks on the Mac until I got new headphones and they don't have a profile for them. I have nothing against Sonarworks and would probably still use it if they had profiles for my headphones.

Another Mac program that provides headphone correction is Soundsource by RogueAmoeba, and they give you access to way more correction profiles from many sources. You can even use a plugin like Pro-Q3 with your own correction profile. It's what I use now.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Effects”