5%
Nemesis
6%
Saurus 2
10%

Total votes: 238

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was playing around with Warlock and so impressed with the depth and quality of the sound and started looking at other Tone2 synths. Never really paid any attention to them over the years and now I'm really curious. I demoed Gladiator 3 and Icarus 2 and they sounds equally great. Would love to hear which ones you like best and why.

Thanks!

Sound wise, Electra2 is the best for me. I hate its operation and architecture though. It makes things which are child's play in other synths unnecessarily difficult to its strict layer approach.

Icarus is much better in that regard. I prefer Electra2's sound though.

That said, IMO, all Tone2 have their flaws, which is why I still don't own one (I owned Electra, but sold it). There's always some major niggle I have with them. I also don't like their expensive price policy, TBH. Always high price, never a sale (no, that 50% off sale all year long on their site is a pure hoax...).

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:11 pm Sound wise, Electra2 is the best for me. I hate its operation and architecture though. It makes things which are child's play in other synths unnecessarily difficult to its strict layer approach.

Icarus is much better in that regard. I prefer Electra2's sound though.

That said, IMO, all Tone2 have their flaws, which is why I still don't own one (I owned Electra, but sold it). There's always some major niggle I have with them. I also don't like their expensive price policy, TBH. Always high price, never a sale (no, that 50% off sale all day long on their site is a pure hoax...).
Interesting. Trying a few demos and the visual looking complexity of the interfaces did scare me a little. Worried I'd get bogged down in the interface. Warlock seems a little different in that regard.

Definitely for me Icarus (2).
For me it just sounds the best, and its poly legato mode on vocoded stuff.

rsp
sound sculptist

It's a tough choice. Their synths are great!

My two favorite would be Icarus and Nemesis. They sound awesome and are both really easy to program.

Don't like any of them.
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.

I have Icarus, Warlock, Elektra, Firebird (I bought it as it was once Payware) and Rayblaster.
Warlock is sexy because it's new but Icarus is probably my favorite :party:

buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 pm Don't like any of them.
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.
Even in Icarus?
rsp
sound sculptist

I liked them all for their sound. Eventually sold them all because of the way the libraries were "locked in."
If their preset system was more flexible, something more like u-he, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
The first one being "Gladiator" or "Icarus".

I like both Nemesis and RayBlaster (those only I have from Tone2). I voted Nemesis because I slightly like it more.

Good that this thread reminded me of delving into them and doing some presets :)

I like all of them, but I've used Saurus the most. Also I've created presets for it that ended up in their optional soundsets.
Last edited by Examigan on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

try Icarus2

Have you guys read the descriptions of the Tone2 synths on their website? Is there any doubt? They are the bestest of the best synths, mega-uber-turbo better than any other, trained to eat input that would make a Billy Goat puke and able to create sounds never before heard to mankind!

One thing I notice is that their presets are loud as hell, sometimes redlining my meter. Make sure to listen with that in mind. I suspect it is a tactic to make the sounds more impressive--or what?

That said, the synths can make some nice sounds, and the re-synthesis on Icarus is as good as I've heard--and that's the one I've considered getting. Their demo policy is nice--demo them forever.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
try Icarus2
Well in fairness Icarus was the best of the bunch. Haven't worked with Icarus 2.

buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm
exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
try Icarus2
Well in fairness Icarus was the best of the bunch. Haven't worked with Icarus 2.
Icarus2 is pretty much one of the best (sounding) wavetable synths out there. Although, since Vital, i barely open it anymore.

Return to “Instruments”