Making music artwork. Alternatives to Adobe?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

f**k Adobe and f**k Serif if they think I am going to pay more to upgrade than I paid for the full versions I already own. I still do 99% of my work in Xara so new tools in Affinity Photo don't interest me in the slightest.

I noticed last night that Xara have gone to a subscription model but I haven't upgraded in years anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I used to upgrade just to support the company but since they were acquired by Magix, I don't feel any need to do that any more. Magix still offer perpetual licensing but they sell slightly different versions of the applications. I think subscription makes sense for Xara, though, as they seem more into adding content these days than doing any work on the code.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:35 am
ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:36 am Photoshop CS2 is free!
No, it isn't. It never was and never will be.
oh I didnt know the background of it, but If they really cared, they should have fixed their issue with the activation server by now in my opinion.

I make most of mine in Figma, free software with a nice community behind it.

Ooops, I had never heard of that: Figma! A brand new company - founded in 2022 - with a flicker
jitter website - covered with the latest marketing slogans. They sound like the latest shit. :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:31 am f**k Adobe and f**k Serif if they think I am going to pay more to upgrade than I paid for the full versions I already own. I still do 99% of my work in Xara so new tools in Affinity Photo don't interest me in the slightest.

I noticed last night that Xara have gone to a subscription model but I haven't upgraded in years anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I used to upgrade just to support the company but since they were acquired by Magix, I don't feel any need to do that any more. Magix still offer perpetual licensing but they sell slightly different versions of the applications. I think subscription makes sense for Xara, though, as they seem more into adding content these days than doing any work on the code.
You can get Xara, a version or 2 behind the current version through the humble bundle sometimes. I have a version of it from there pretty sure, though I don't recall ever using it. I thought it was a page layout program tbh.

Shunten wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:50 pm I make most of mine in Figma, free software with a nice community behind it.
the same Figma that Adobe bought for 20 billion? Good luck with that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:36 amYou can get Xara, a version or 2 behind the current version through the humble bundle sometimes. I have a version of it from there pretty sure, though I don't recall ever using it. I thought it was a page layout program tbh.
It's Illustrator, In Design, Photoshop, Flash and whatever Adobe call their web design app these days all rolled into a single application, only about 10 times more efficient than any of them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:05 pm
pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:36 amYou can get Xara, a version or 2 behind the current version through the humble bundle sometimes. I have a version of it from there pretty sure, though I don't recall ever using it. I thought it was a page layout program tbh.
It's Illustrator, In Design, Photoshop, Flash and whatever Adobe call their web design app these days all rolled into a single application, only about 10 times more efficient than any of them.
Cool, generally I have never been a fan of Corel aside from painter. Even that's only because they
acquired it from Metacreations. I will definitely keep an eye out for the next time they offer it at the humble store.

just use text to image AI generators. thats what everyone else is doing I think.
all the best

It's not terribly useful when it comes to laying out you track list or even the album title and artist's name. It's amazing for creating the background art, though -

ARTIFICE-02c.jpg

ARTIFICE-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:14 pmCool, generally I have never been a fan of Corel aside from painter. Even that's only because they acquired it from Metacreations. I will definitely keep an eye out for the next time they offer it at the humble store.
Corel haven't been involved with Xara for 20 years or more. They are owned by Magix these days.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:10 pm
pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:14 pmCool, generally I have never been a fan of Corel aside from painter. Even that's only because they acquired it from Metacreations. I will definitely keep an eye out for the next time they offer it at the humble store.
Corel haven't been involved with Xara for 20 years or more. They are owned by Magix these days.
Ahh ok, got it. I missed that part apparently, it's difficult sometimes, getting old I mean. :lol:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Maybe it's controversial but I think AI generated stuff can be awesome, depending on the genre.

https://creator.nightcafe.studio/ (https://creator.nightcafe.studio/)

Is a pretty nice one, was free for what I wanted to do.

Yeah, it's a front end for Stable Diffusion, which is one of the more usable AIs, I think. It seems pretty handy but the results are far too tame for our needs.

There are others not previously mentioned-

First & really the BEST is Chasys Draw IES which is free photoshop killer for sure. Tight coding, free, no bloat & runs on any windows OS. Updated about once a month. Uses PS, GIMP, PSP Brushes & more. Cpmpat with modern formats. The works-

https://www.jpchacha.com/chasysdraw/

Second is LView Pro 2006 which is very similar in workflow to the old JASC PSP. Very good also-

https://www.lview.com/

#NOTE# There is reg info on the page you need to save-use.

Finally there is Pixopedia which is good also but unlike first two it's more for painting. Free like the first two-

https://sigmapi-design.com/

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”