Big commersial songs/producers using factory presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Standard 8 Serum Sylenth1

Hi! I was wondering, are there some commercial songs or big name producers who you know used presets from synth's factory preset folder?

I just started to wonder after I did hear a commercial song using very familiar sounding sequence (I was trying the demo of a synth where the same sequence was as one of the factory presets) and I started to wonder if there are other songs but I just haven't noticed before?

I know Serum and Sylenth1 are very popular virtual synths among EDM producers (even with commercial ones if I am not mistaken)?

All of the time

Of couse there are.

Absolutely.I've heard a fair amount of music where I recognize a preset here and there. I don't think most big name producers set out to use a ton of presets if they hope to sound original but if a preset just works in a particular setting then so be it.

Sure. One I can name is Avicii : he always claimed he used presets to save time. And what about all the late 90’s hits that all used the same Roland JD800/XP80 pizzicato patch ?
A lot of people easily recognize factory presets from Nexus for example.
And for some sounds you can’t chose anything else. You can’t make your own piano from scratch, you HAVE to use a preset.
They’re everywhere.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm Sure. One I can name is Avicii : he always claimed he used presets to save time. And what about all the late 90’s hits that all used the same Roland JD800/XP80 pizzicato patch ?
A lot of people easily recognize factory presets from Nexus for example.
And for some sounds you can’t chose anything else. You can’t make your own piano from scratch, you HAVE to use a preset.
They’re everywhere.
I make ALL my pianos and harps from scratch one key and one string at a time. :lol:

DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm You can’t make your own piano from scratch...
maybe you cant

Great for you ! You don’t need any preset it seems. You sample yourself all the instruments of the world you need, even strings ensembles and choirs ? Perfect. You have a lot of time. If the results suit you and your audience, why not ?

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 pm viewtopic.php?p=8092795
Yes, if it’s the piano of your dreams, go for it !
I think it sounds like garbage that reminds me of a piano.
I prefer using the sampled pianos I love, that I’m unable to sample by myself.

Btw I highly doubt this thing can produce serious round robins, velocity layers and release pedal like a real piano, but since I forgot to mention ”you can’t sample your favourite piano” (because eh, some people enjoy using sounds they strongly dislike), no problem, try to prove me wrong just for fun. :D
Last edited by DJErmac on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Here's the big question: Why shouldn't they use presets?

I mean, sure for a lot of basic sounds it might even be faster to program yourself than wade through 546,682 presets looking for the right one, but if a preset works, use it. don't worry about the sound design hipsters or synth purists.

(That said, if your whole tune is you holding one finger down on a sequence preset over an uninspired four on the floor kick, that's pretty bogus, but yeah, otherwise use presets)

DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 pm viewtopic.php?p=8092795
Yes, if it’s the piano of your dreams, go for it !
I think it sounds like garbage that reminds me of a piano.
I prefer using the sampled pianos I love, that I’m unable to sample by myself.

Btw I highly doubt this thing can produce serious round robins, velocity layers and release pedal like a real piano, but since I forgot to mention ”you can’t sample your favourite piano” (because eh, some people enjoy using sounds they strongly dislike), no problem, try to prove me wrong just for fun. :D
never found a usable piano sample library myself, samples just won't do for me.... if you want a piano sound, use a piano

but there are great synthetic pianos out there, just not for me....

ShawnG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 pm Here's the big question: Why shouldn't they use presets?
i dont think anyone said they shouldn't, i think the question was looking to identify certain presets used by "famous" artists

things like the DX7, M1 and D50 are all over big hits of that era, for example....

I heard about this from deadmau5...
https://www.masterclass.com/classes/dea ... zed-sounds
My favorite was-- and God bless them, a talented bunch of guys-- it was The Prodigy with Firestarter.

They were big fans of this synth that came out, and I of course, didn't know this at the time.

But I had found a Korg Prophecy a long time ago, and it is a weird alien spaceship looking thing.

It was at the time the holy grail of these new synth things, and a buddy of mine had one.

So I go over to his place and check it out and I'm pressing some notes, changing some patches.

And of course, there's this one patch that just sounds amazing.

And it's like this cool 8-bit arpeggiation textural wash.

And it was called FireStar, and it's the second preset on the Korg thing.

And then of course, it's the opening of the track Firestarter by The Prodigy, and I thought that was the most hilarious thing in the world is they named the whole track after a preset, which they used in the first thing of the thing.

And that was kind of cool.

But of course, that gets abused a lot.

Anyone using a DX7.
I understand alot of commercial guys use Nexus presets for alot of stuff. If you understand deadlines and budget restrictions it makes good sense to do so.

I recently did a full commercial album where I programmed every synth sound including electronic drums.....I WILL NEVER do that again.

Presets are inspiring and useful.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Instruments”