Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Haha, 9 GB Banjo, dang.

I'd love to see some violins or flutes or what not.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

The reason I would say that omni 2 is "not worth it" is the stability and longevity of the codebase. From how the plugin has been behaving on my computers (both macs and pc's) throughout the years, it's pretty clear that programming is not a strong point for spectrasonics. If you absolutely have to have a huge preset bank megasynth that everyone especially in the media composing world is already using, then ok. I've moved to a smaller sample libraries that run more reliably and that don't make the composition process mostly browsing (slowly) for presets.

Liero wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:50 am The reason I would say that omni 2 is "not worth it" is the stability and longevity of the codebase. From how the plugin has been behaving on my computers (both macs and pc's) throughout the years, it's pretty clear that programming is not a strong point for spectrasonics. If you absolutely have to have a huge preset bank megasynth that everyone especially in the media composing world is already using, then ok. I've moved to a smaller sample libraries that run more reliably and that don't make the composition process mostly browsing (slowly) for presets.
The only bug affecting us for around 10 years on and off is the arp sync one, it sometimes rises its head even on Ableton. We originally thought it was logic issue (we dont use it anymore anyway) but.. Not a biggie, still its there.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I have just seen an Omnisphere tutorial where it was mentioned that all the LFOs were monophonic except no. 8.
Is this actually true?

buzz1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:27 am I have just seen an Omnisphere tutorial where it was mentioned that all the LFOs were monophonic except no. 8.
Is this actually true?
If by 'mono' you mean unipolar, then no. All LFO's can be set to be either uni- or bipolar.

LFO8 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:25 am
buzz1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:27 am I have just seen an Omnisphere tutorial where it was mentioned that all the LFOs were monophonic except no. 8.
Is this actually true?
If by 'mono' you mean unipolar, then no. All LFO's can be set to be either uni- or bipolar.
No I mean Monophonic as in each Lfo is common to all the notes played within a part.Instead of poly where the is an LFO acting on every note played separately.
Uni or bi polar just means whether the Lfo modulates above a certain point or above and below same.
Love the username BTW. Could not be more appropriate for this discussion!

What I do know is LFO 8 can be either monophonic or polyphonic. (which of course could mean either LFO 1-7 are either always monophonic or polyphonic)
I tend to think that in the tutorial was right, and 1-7 are monophonic.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Thanks.
Seems strange to have 7(!) mono lfos and only 1 poly.

buzz1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:36 am Thanks.
Seems strange to have 7(!) mono lfos and only 1 poly.
Only one polyphonique LFO seems to be way not enough... especially when mono can be easily provided by the DAW....

Is Omnisphere the biggest Rompler ever?
My original purchase came on 3 compressed DVD’s.
The latest version is more than double that… and it start to loose it’s appeal.
There are currently so many alternatives available that sound great if not better and being VA take up hardly any HD space…

no, as it's not a rompler.

I agree that having so many mono LFO's and only one poly LFO is really weird. However you can loop the envelopes which are complex multi-stage shapes if you want.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:41 pm However you can loop the envelopes which are complex multi-stage shapes if you want.
Well that does the trick... How many envelopes does Omnisphere has ?

Or it could be CLAP compatible and then BOOM, all the sexy LFOs and MSEGs of Bitwig would be polyphonically available...

You can do that with U-He Hive 2 for example and that's magical... It is like the innovation of one tool brings innovations to another...

To me this matters a lot in very realistic examples... Let say I setup a complex modulation pattern, for example a filter, managed by an LFO with the rate itself decided my an MSEG, carefully crafted that I will use on a chord (to have this nice polyphonic bumping chord).
If I do that inside the instrument, I can not anymore browse the presets to decide what kind of sound is better for the effect because each time I will take at least one minute to recreate the perfect modulations... With CLAP I can choose to externalise the modulations to the DAW while keeping the capacity to make it polyphonic... Pretty awesome...
Last edited by Jac459 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duplicate

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:49 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:41 pm However you can loop the envelopes which are complex multi-stage shapes if you want.
Well that does the trick... How many envelopes does Omnisphere has ?
There are 6 per part. One each for amp and filters and then 4 mod envelopes.

Return to “Instruments”