2021 Ryzen 7 5800H laptops and DPC latency - Lenovo Legion Pro 5 VS Asus Strix G17 G713QM

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am finally going to upgrade my Legion Y520 and I am overwhelmed by the current options. I have nailed down two machines, but of those two only Asus is actually available without preorders in Europe.

The CPU, cooling and (imo) perfect screen sizes could ideally prove to be a perfect laptop for audio in its price range. However, Notebookcheck have yet to display DPC latency metering on those two models. Dealing with DPC latency on the Y520 model was a headache to say the least, and working with audio is as good as impossible without turning the wifi driver completely off and running the graphics from the integrated intel GPU.

I have read nothing but positive feedback on the G14 model from Asus, but I'd really like an bigger interface.

So, I was hoping if anyone has already purchased either a Legion 5 Pro or Strix G17 Ryzen laptops and can report back on DPC Latency and other possible Windows 10 issues? Are they both as good as it looks on paper? :hyper:
Last edited by kpv on Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I've been looking at the same one for a while. They are pretty cheap now actually. I've sen reports of DPC latency that is pretty reasonable, definitely under what is needed for audio. Wish I could find the chart I saw comparing latencymon results. Legion wasn't the lowest but was pretty good.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-Laten ... 376.0.html

This is a pretty good list, maybe the one you are thinking about? But its unfortunately lacking the machines I am considering.

I am interested in taking a look at other 5800H models under 2000 euros, if anyone can vouch for using them for audio.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”