Tone Projects KELVIN coming next week

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kelvin Tone Shaper

gezellig sounds german and doesn't have that warm cozy sound as "hygge"

i really don't like german lanugage. I might just buy this plugin because it says hygge.

Hygge just works psychologically.
Gezellig sounds like something bad is about to happen

Yes, indeed.
Gesellig means to be socially integrated / active in german. Very very bad indeed :party:
Didn't know that gezellig meant laid back in dutch though, thought it would basically mean the same as in german, just with slightly different spelling.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

"Gezellig" in Dutch is something like cozy/warm/friendly. Hard to explain exactly. It can be used in a variety of ways ; a house can be "gezellig", being with friends can be "gezellig", even music can sound "gezellig".

And usually, this forum is far from "gezellig". :lol:
More BPM please

v1o wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 pm How good could a saturator even be? The problem with Gearspace is that everyone there gets caught up in the hype. It's a flavour of the month thing you'll never stop buying plugins.
As someone who was initially very impressed with Unisum, i uninstalled this Kelvin demo very quickly. Not because it was bad, i just didn't find any reason to buy it or keep it, just another decent saturator and i don't have room for that. Prefer the workflow, simplicity and sonics i get from Fuse and Airwindows saturators. There isn't any breaking ground here but it seem like a good plugin if you aren't covered saturator wise. I just wish people didn't get so strong FOMO on these things.

Gearspace is a fun study in infectious behaviour, which is partially caused by the fact that the distinctions people argue over are very minuscule (by design, and therefore ripe for snake oil, placebo, group dynamics and faith-based thinking). Increasingly esoteric recipes for 'mojo' etc. Usually it starts out when some key members with high clout are impressed by something (for whatever reason, which doesn't necessarily always reflect the quality of the plugin). People tend to forget the amount of taste and subjectivity involved with these things, and a lot of members seem to have "argument from authority" syndrome so that quickly sets off the rolling ball of hype.

It also seem like a type of pacifier-behaviour where we are collectively soothed by feeling like we are moving forward progressively, that the plugins of this year are leaps ahead of 2018 plugins which are leaps ahead of 2015 plugins etc. It feels good to participate in the ritual where this Kelvin plugin is _it_, the next-level culmination of human engineering/vision/creativity/intuition. And sometimes leaps actually happen, naturally, i just don't think they happen often enough or are important enough to warrant the hype most new plugins get, and the FOMO that ensues.

This seems pissy, not my intention - Kelvin seems good, just not qualitatively above anything else these days and people shouldn't really be group pressured into thinking they are missing out.
Last edited by cantaloupe on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In Norway, hygge/hyggelig just means nice/pleasant, but applied to a social context usually.

According to wikipedia: ""In both Danish and Norwegian, hygge refers to "a form of everyday togetherness", "a pleasant and highly valued everyday experience of safety, equality, personal wholeness and a spontaneous social flow""

This isn't true in Norway, don't understand where they get all that meaning from. Seems like a fabrication, or maybe the Danes have a completely different meaning that we don't.

cantaloupe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm This seems pissy, not my intention - Kelvin seems good, just not qualitatively above anything else these days and people shouldn't really be group pressured into thinking they are missing out.
Couldn't of said it any better (your whole post). I like the plugin, it's a good plugin. But it's just a saturation tool, and there's lots of them out there. It doesn't sound much different to anything else I have and I don't really have any trouble matching it with something like Saturn. If you don't have something like Saturn then it would be a great pickup.

cantaloupe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm As someone who was initially very impressed with Unisum, i uninstalled this Kelvin demo very quickly. Not because it was bad, i just didn't find any reason to buy it or keep it, just another decent saturator and i don't have room for that. Prefer the workflow, simplicity and sonics i get from Fuse and Airwindows saturators. There isn't any breaking ground here but it seem like a good plugin if you aren't covered saturator wise. I just wish people didn't get so strong FOMO on these things.

Gearspace is a fun study in infectious behaviour, which is partially caused by the fact that the distinctions people argue over are very minuscule (by design, and therefore ripe for snake oil, placebo, group dynamics and faith-based thinking). Increasingly esoteric recipes for 'mojo' etc. Usually it starts out when some key members with high clout are impressed by something (for whatever reason, which doesn't necessarily always reflect the quality of the plugin). People tend to forget the amount of taste and subjectivity involved with these things, and a lot of members seem to have "argument from authority" syndrome so that quickly sets off the rolling ball of hype.

It also seem like a type of pacifier-behaviour where we are collectively soothed by feeling like we are moving forward progressively, that the plugins of this year are leaps ahead of 2018 plugins which are leaps ahead of 2015 plugins etc. It feels good to participate in the ritual where this Kelvin plugin is _it_, the next-level culmination of human engineering/vision/creativity/intuition. And sometimes leaps actually happen, naturally, i just don't think they happen often enough or are important enough to warrant the hype most new plugins get, and the FOMO that ensues.

This seems pissy, not my intention - Kelvin seems good, just not qualitatively above anything else these days and people shouldn't really be group pressured into thinking they are missing out.
Good comment, however: I don't know of any other saturator that has pre-emphasis done so well (I do of one, but it's not out yet), and up until now i had to use either multi-band or some wierd-ass contraption of pre+post EQ with inverse gain.
It's not ground-breaking as pre-emphasis exists in saturation plugins, it's just not as straight forward, it's also really easy to dial in really good sounds.
It's also extremely clean in pristine mode - more than a lot of the competition.

Then there's:
- M1 compatibility and optimisations that happened with Unisum
- dev responsiveness to requests (Kelvin is a direct result of people responding positively to hygge as well)

I bought this partly because I like what Kelvin does and partly because I like what Tone Projects does

cantaloupe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 pm How good could a saturator even be? The problem with Gearspace is that everyone there gets caught up in the hype. It's a flavour of the month thing you'll never stop buying plugins.
As someone who was initially very impressed with Unisum, i uninstalled this Kelvin demo very quickly. Not because it was bad, i just didn't find any reason to buy it or keep it, just another decent saturator and i don't have room for that. Prefer the workflow, simplicity and sonics i get from Fuse and Airwindows saturators. There isn't any breaking ground here but it seem like a good plugin if you aren't covered saturator wise. I just wish people didn't get so strong FOMO on these things.

Do you think you impart in making this forum a better place by posting such a thing?

rageix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Couldn't of said it any better (your whole post). I like the plugin, it's a good plugin. But it's just a saturation tool, and there's lots of them out there. It doesn't sound much different to anything else I have and I don't really have any trouble matching it with something like Saturn. If you don't have something like Saturn then it would be a great pickup.
i have Saturn2 and love it for a lot of reason, however i really can't match it to Kelvin. How would you match emphasis in Kelvin to Saturn2?

nichttuntun wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm
cantaloupe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Do you think you impart in making this forum a better place by posting such a thing?
Not him of course, but what's wrong?
Do you think you make this forum a better place trying to suppress people's opinions?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Ploki wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 pm i have Saturn2 and love it for a lot of reason, however i really can't match it to Kelvin. How would you match emphasis in Kelvin to Saturn2?
Forgive me if I'm referring to wrong thing here but I assume by emphasis you mean using the shaping section in Kelvin. In this case it's just 2 eqs and you could easily just put your own eqs before or after. But the reason to use it is to cook different frequency bands more or less, and in Saturn you can set up your own bands and adjust the drive on each band as well as the volume of each band. Basic concept doesn't really seem all that different.

I eneded up grabbing this after demoing it, has a very different flavour from the usual suspects I use, can coax lots of different colours out of it, kind of reminds me of tupe by goodhertz, not as tubby sounding or as lively, has a more refined sound, altho it can get down and dirty, like the way some of the models break-up when pushed too. Intro deal was sweet enough to give it a go, as I like their comp but haven't bought it yet, was £41 all in, with the email newsletter offer.

I was a skeptic of Unisum too and the Gearslutz hype machine in general. But after being out for awhile and all the honeymoons have worn off, people are still raving about it, so I figure it must be actually as good as some say it is.

There's nothing average about Kelvin. The softening of transients is very analog-esque :O

rageix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 pm
Forgive me if I'm referring to wrong thing here but I assume by emphasis you mean using the shaping section in Kelvin. In this case it's just 2 eqs and you could easily just put your own eqs before or after. But the reason to use it is to cook different frequency bands more or less, and in Saturn you can set up your own bands and adjust the drive on each band as well as the volume of each band. Basic concept doesn't really seem all that different.
you're referring to the right thing.
however more bands = crossover and inherent crossover distortion
two EQs is how i've done it yes, but it's clunky af.
i'm not sure why more saturators don't have that standard.

evilantal wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm Will there be a lite version called Kelvin Klein?
:lol:

Return to “Effects”