MPC Live 2 fun factor

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Have anyone tried this machine and can give a review how fun it is (or not)?

I have one, I like it a lot- but try the free MPC Beats software first and see if you like the workflow...tons of videos and reviews on YT.

Decent screen, storage, battery and the rather good built in speaker make it 'fun' for me to move around the house or garden and play without headphones...properly standalone- not many other things like that, but I do also recommend Novation Circuit Tracks for 'fun' and just plug a little speaker in the headphone socket, I use this one- plenty load enough! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Spe ... r=8-3&th=1
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I had MPC Live 1

I found the pads disappointing. I was unable to play a melody on them cause they took too much force. I like a light touch so they might be okay for someone else. I had to plugin a midi controller to get use of it.

After a few months, I sold the MPC Live... didn't find it fun or inspiring, but that really doesn't indicate whether you would. By comparison, my iPad Pro with Garageband and some iOS apps is lots of fun!

My suggestion is, find a way to demo one in person. Watching videos doesn't communicate what it feels like actually using it.

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:32 pm I have one, I like it a lot- but try the free MPC Beats software first and see if you like the workflow...tons of videos and reviews on YT.

Decent screen, storage, battery and the rather good built in speaker make it 'fun' for me to move around the house or garden and play without headphones...properly standalone- not many other things like that, but I do also recommend Novation Circuit Tracks for 'fun' and just plug a little speaker in the headphone socket, I use this one- plenty load enough! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Spe ... r=8-3&th=1
Agree about the Circuit Tracks, already returned one so don't know about the build quality, but damn if it isn't pretty.

'Fun' is a pretty hard thing top define...I had an OP-1 for about 5 years, that was definitely 'fun' but ultimately I stopped reaching for it... OP-Z didn't work for me at all, seemed to be the worst of both worlds needed to use a phone/ipad with it (or having a great memory!). I also had a go withy the 'Deluge' but sold that after about av year for similar reasons to the OP-Z...just couldn't remember all the things you needed to remember to use it...it was very powerful, but almost too complicated to be 'fun'.

So, after a lot of toys came and went, I am left with:

The MPC Live II - can be portable fun with the speaker at al, but I use it as a main mid/cv sequencer around my hardware synths.

Novation Circuit Tracks is probably about as much fun as you can have for £300 - easy to use/learn and battery powered, surprisingly powerful midi sequencing as well and audio with fx in makes it great for using with another portable fun little boxes (I use mine with an UNO and a Skulpt)

I also have a Polyend tracker that plays games (apparently it can also sample and sequence ;-))...I defy anyone to say that's not 'fun'!

https://youtu.be/y1rFHOXP57U
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

By fun I mean engaging, a device that has a fast workflow, sounds good but limiting in a good way. So after a hour or two I’ll have a result.
Honestly, I’m bit afraid that MPC LIVE is kind of computer because of the touch screen. I have Ableton as a full featured daw, don’t need another daw.
I need a centerpiece for my external gear. I have Neutron, Model D and Keystep. Maybe Oktatrack/Digitakt also an option.

roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am By fun I mean engaging, a device that has a fast workflow, sounds good but limiting in a good way. So after a hour or two I’ll have a result.
Honestly, I’m bit afraid that MPC LIVE is kind of computer because of the touch screen. I have Ableton as a full featured daw, don’t need another daw.
I need a centerpiece for my external gear. I have Neutron, Model D and Keystep. Maybe Oktatrack/Digitakt also an option.
MPC Live is a computer with a touch screen, no doubt!

Seriously- Novation Circuit Tracks! It has 2 synths, drum machine, load your own samples, midi sequencer (with probability, ratchet, p-lock) and audio in with FX- ideal, battery powered, limiting in a good way and fun! Cheap for what you get as well...

https://youtu.be/0To9D9RhlXs

roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am By fun I mean engaging, a device that has a fast workflow, sounds good but limiting in a good way. So after a hour or two I’ll have a result.
The MPC felt like a computer to me, but with a clumsier interface (didn't like the touchscreen). If I am going to use a computer, I would rather just use my laptop and main DAW.

I want a dedicated box to feel like an instrument and be fluid and creative. Towards that end, I have an Isla S2400 on order. It isn't trying to do everything, just be a creative groovebox.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm
The MPC felt like a computer to me, but with a clumsier interface (didn't like the touchscreen). If I am going to use a computer, I would rather just use my laptop and main DAW.

I want a dedicated box to feel like an instrument and be fluid and creative. Towards that end, I have an Isla S2400 on order. It isn't trying to do everything, just be a creative groovebox.
Isla S2400 is a bit like a 12 bit computer from 1987 :lol: Ultimate retro! It's a lot of money (2 grand in the UK), but I have read nothing but good things about it...I think if I was spending that sort of money on an isosteric drum machine I would go for the PULSAR 23 - something about patching with crocodile clips! That said, I paid £800 for my Analog RYTM MK1, still happy with it!

https://youtu.be/VK05sNGESIY

https://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pmIsla S2400 is a bit like a 12 bit computer from 1987 :lol: Ultimate retro! It's a lot of money (2 grand in the UK), but I have read nothing but good things about it...I think if I was spending that sort of money on an isosteric drum machine I would go for the PULSAR 23 - something about patching with crocodile clips! That said, I paid £800 for my Analog RYTM MK1, still happy with it!
I had a pre-order for the Pulsar-23... Wonderful looking machine! I ended up canceling cause I had I had enough things on pre-order.

Yeah, the S2400 is retro, but in other ways modern like easy drag-n-drop samples, projects etc. Having watched the online manual videos, I felt like I knew how to use it. And even though it has been a couple months since watching the videos, I still remember. The UI immediately makes sense to me.

I think the S2400 is going to compliment my Rytm(s) very well :tu:

Usually I have much more fun with my Akai Force, than I usually have with just a PC+DAW.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:02 pm I had a pre-order for the Pulsar-23... Wonderful looking machine! I ended up canceling cause I had I had enough things on pre-order.
I am sure you will enjoy the S … I think it’s a very long wait for the pulsar anyway!

I know what you mean about preorders…I have an Osmose, XFM and OXI sequencer all on order…the XLN was a bit of an impulse purchase…fits the fun toy category and was 199 USD inc case!

Sonicware LIVEN XFM, 4-Track Groovebox With Fusing FM Synthesis for consideration as a Fun Device…certainly a fun video :hihi:

https://youtu.be/SzgpcRqxy_8

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 pm
I am sure you will enjoy the S … I think it’s a very long wait for the pulsar anyway!

I know what you mean about preorders…I have an Osmose, XFM and OXI sequencer all on order…the XLN was a bit of an impulse purchase…fits the fun toy category and was 199 USD inc case!

Sonicware LIVEN XFM, 4-Track Groovebox With Fusing FM Synthesis for consideration as a Fun Device…certainly a fun video :hihi:
Good price! Like an inexpensive Digitone... If I didn't already have the Digitone... I've reached the point where I now have a '1 in' then '1 out' policy!

Thanks, and what do you think about the Octatrack mk2? Looks like fun to use, even that It doesn’t support overbridge and cv outputs…

I sold my Octotrack (used to have the dark trinity, still have RYTM and A4)

I found the OT far from fun, cryptic, weird file system...there are much more fun samplers IMHO - The OT is very capable and if you just play back and mess with the installed content its great...start importing your own or trying to loop takes a lot more work if you are used to drag and drop and large visual displays.

PUSH 2 with Live 11 on a laptop is far more fun and easier to use in my opinion for 'that type of thing', but if you must go hardware only in one unit, AKAI Force is probably more fun and does the same type of stuff.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”