Is there something wrong with Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, first post in this community (yay).

I'm new to this hobby, and poor AF. So I'm pretty much only using free software, vsts and samples.

I dont see anyone talking about Cakewalk, so I'm gathering it isnt very popular. Is there something wrong with it?

No. Cakewalk is awesome for free. And it was even pretty good when it used to cost a bunch of money.

No one talks about it on KVR because it isn’t REAPER or Bitwig.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Just go for it. Best for no money that you can get. Nothing wrong with it, nothing wrong with using it.

Actually, I considered it a few times now, even though I'm on an expensive payware DAW. Unfortunately, my controller keyboard has some issues with it (some preset functionality using the Maeckie HUI protocol won't work with it), and, I found it to be a bit overwhelming, and kind of hesitated to get used to it. But, that's about it really. I'm sure you can work fine in it.

It is somewhat unpopular around here for some good reasons. First, and this has not really been mitigated AFAIK, it's a Windows only product. There was an attempt at a Mac version but it was something of a failure IIRC. Second, before it was free, Cakewalk, formerly 12-Tone Systems, had a very unpopular resale policy that didn't allow you to sell your used copy on if you didn't like it.

The latter point is of course completely irrelevant now that it's free. However, if you're trying to figure out why it's not that popular here, those are some of the reasons.

Finally, while it is a powerful and usable tool, it has something of a quirky design and weird user experience. This is largely because it is a product with a very long history and so still has some bad habits.

It's great for free, but I wouldn't expect most KVR users to be that interested in it today.

HSK wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:08 am I dont see anyone talking about Cakewalk, so I'm gathering it isnt very popular. Is there something wrong with it?
Are you sure, it's mentioned quite often (especially when someone is starting out and need a DAW) and there's always at least one thread in feed about it?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=550395
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=555649
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=558562
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=545794
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=525564
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=556181

Besides, CW has their own user forum.

There are at least two threads here on Cakewalk to the best of my memory. I use it myself and I am happy with it, at least for now. (One day I want to get FLStudio because I like the workflow) I particularly like the optional free VST instruments that you can download when you get Cakewalk. Even if you don't like the DAW, you can use the instruments in other hosts.

Awesome, thanks for the replies :)

Sorry for being a noob. Search function didn't really bring up much results, probably because I dont know how to use it. I'm aware of Bandlab's forum, but I avoid echo chambers dedicated to one product. I like reading tips tricks and opinions from broader communities that dabble in pretty much everything, hence why I'm here and not there.

I look forward to learning from all you going forward, thanks again :)

EDIT: Does this forum have an introductions section? Can't seem to find it.

HSK wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:11 am

EDIT: Does this forum have an introductions section? Can't seem to find it.
I don't think so but if you want to introduce yourself, you can try using the off topics forum. Welcome to KVR. :)

HSK wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:11 am EDIT: Does this forum have an introductions section? Can't seem to find it.
Not directly, but look at “getting started” or, especially if you want to show your music, the “Music Cafe”… In the DIY section you can show your builds if you are into hacking hardware, or in the hardware section there is a thread where every body shows their studio pics…

It is a bit curious there isn't more enthusiasm for Cakewalk by BandLab. I wonder if feelings of "if you're not paying for it, you're the product" might have something to do with it.

It feels unintuitive for me. I find it rather cumbersome coming from FL and Live.

Since being picked up by Bandlab Cakewalk has received fairly frequent updates. It's rock solid here.

I use CW for my guitar based music and it's a brilliant tool for the job. I still find FL Studio better for my synth based stuff but if I only had CW it could get the job done.

I was a paying customer up to Sonar X3 so CW by Bandlab is more of a free upgrade to me but I'm still very grateful for its continued support and development.

As always the best advice is download Cakewalk and give it a try for yourself. It's free so nothing to lose. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Cakewalk is free now? Just a dumb name I guess. My version of Sonar has Melodyne integrated so that's neat for vocal work.

KVR forum users have been around much longer then 2018.
It was 2018 that Cakewalk was sold to the Chinese Bandlab company that made it a free product.
Gibson that owned Cw before that, didn't seem to care about developing it further and only cared about getting paid for it. That was well known in these music groups KVR belong to so they remember those negatives and are not going to change that attitude as long as they don't test out this new and improved Cakewalk.
That takes us to the next point.
Daws of today is pretty complex. It means many hours of learning to get a grip of the daw of your choice. If you already learned a daw it is unlikely that you throw away all that hours to learn a brand new daw.
Cakewalk (by Bandlab) is very advanced and with a good team of developers updating it regularly.
It probably can do everything other daws can do but with a different workflow.
If you are flexible with workflows and guis Cakewalk is perfect for you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”