Why don't more people use Tracktion Waveform?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edit: Stupid quote / edit bug / mistake. Carry on.
Last edited by mcnelson on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mcnelson wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am fair enough, devs gotta eat
But they won't if you and me and enough others aren't willing to pay the upgrade fee anymore.

I'm still on V9 - had they sticked to the 30$ upgrade fee from one version to the next, I undoubtedly would have immediately upgraded to V10 and V11, regardless of not really using it, just to support them and stay up to date...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I think TSC Tracktion are more in to synth and soundpacks (presets) right now . I mainly use StudioOne and mess with Live a bit. Waveform11 is pretty nice though , I wonder if people still have showstoppers and plugin compatibility issues on it still ? I thought they were getting things stable for W11 point something or another ? Anyhow I just mainly use StudioOne now . I upgrade when DAW companies do a SALEs , frankly I was fine with s1v4 but when they did a good sale for 5 I got it. Didn't really see anything ground breaking in the DAW world for s1v5 or live11 . Kinda like iPhones and Android phones nothing groundbreakingly new for them either .

lkj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lk
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dellboy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:01 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:32 pm
I have a 100% stable computer. Studio One crashes multiple times every day I use it. Least stable software I’ve ever owned.

Never said Waveform doesn’t crash - v11 has been very stable, and, as I said, crashes hardly ever in comparison to Studio One.
The answer must surely be to stop using Studio One then, its obviously unusable for you. Common sense.

Bandlab Sonar is very good, stable, and works great with external hardware. Why not give that a spin.
I might have to. Having spent the $200 or whatnot for Studio One, I'm hoping that it'll work itself out over time with some updates and/or with Windows 11, etc. I can always go back to Waveform 11 as needed.

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 pm Cum grano salis.

Been using Tracktion on and off for the last decade or two.

I think it's a great piece of software. I think the motives and the ethos of the 'developers' are sound.

For me it falls down in two major parts.

1: It's a nightmare to render stuff out. I guess they didn't factor this in to the development of the software that people would want to export whatever loops they made. It's possible, but convoluted and confusing. It is the worst of all DAWs I own (I own about a dozen), it is only slightly better than Podium, which is the absolute worst of all DAWs for rendering loops. In fact, you can't even render out certain parts of the song in Podium. Fritz is a great guy and a super talented GUI maker as well as DAW maker. But, it just doesn't work for me.

2: It's unstable. It crashes. I have to say I've not used the most recent versions so things might have got better. But it was always a crash fest. The devs seem more gung ho about introducing new features than squashing old bugs.

I won't mention how it's quite convoluted and complicated to set up for a noob. That is just par for the course with any DAW and this weakness is common in many other softwares.

But what an ingenious piece of software! Pretty obvious the devs were thinking outside the box with this one. It's fun. It's simple. It's elegant. It's quick. It's easy to make music in new ways that you couldn't do before in other DAWs.

I just don't get how the devs have made such an elegant piece of software to make music with on the face of it, yet they torture you for wanting to render out or save projects when you are done. It is perverse. It wasn't meant to be perverse, I am sure. But it's just wrong.

I can kind of get my head around it. I find it very easy to make great music with Tracktion and the program itself helps me with that, but it hinders me on saving projects and rendering stuff out.

I may be alone in this. Just my viewpoint.

Cum grano salis.
Tracktion is the only DAW to ever have made sense to me out of the box. It was so easy to start using. It's so simple: input on the left, output on the right, music in the middle. Something like Reaper is a nightmare - I honestly hate it (I've tried it a couple times over the years). Don't like Live or Bitwig, either.

Waveform 11 is a bugfix version (according to Tracktion). There really weren't many new features vs. 10. Prior to that, they were definitely all about the new features. Again, odd numbered versions seem to have more focus on stability than even versions, which have more of a focus on features. But, look at me and Studio One - people say it's super-stable, but for me it's a crash-fest. I can't even use the menu Quit function without starting it up next time hand having it say it quit unexpectedly! :dog:

Rendering: not sure what you're trying to do, but, for me, Waveform renders really easily for me.

jens wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:42 pm
mcnelson wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am fair enough, devs gotta eat
But they won't if you and me and enough others aren't willing to pay the upgrade fee anymore.

I'm still on V9 - had they sticked to the 30$ upgrade fee from one version to the next, I undoubtedly would have immediately upgraded to V10 and V11, regardless of not really using it, just to support them and stay up to date...
The price increase seems to have to do with the increased content/plugins. Back in the day, Tracktion came with pretty much nothing. It was the perfect DAW for people who already owned the VSTs they wanted to use and had no use for whatever happened to be bundled into a DAW. But for new users that's kind of a nightmare situation. I'm lucky I started with Cubase, bought some external VSTs, then discovered Tracktion.

I have no interest in the bundled content (even though some of it is pretty good), but I totally get why they want to include it. And it costs money to include.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:31 pm The price increase seems to have to do with the increased content/plugins.
No, I was actually talking about the "Basic" version... is there anything in there worth mentioing at all? If it was then they should hurry up and offer a "Basic Basic" version.

Either way, the relevance of Tracktion seems to decrease with every new major version they come up with.

At least for now a handful of people can be arsed to talk about it at all here right now :hihi:
(And, within a week, we even made it to page 4 :party:)

I however predict that if they keep going as they do, there will be no-one left to talk about Tracktion 12. :help:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:20 pm No, I was actually talking about the "Basic" version... is there anything in there worth mentioing at all? If it was then they should hurry up and offer a "Basic Basic" version.
Exactly. They no longer have the basic version that you and I would prefer. I'm willing to stick with Tracktion because I like it better than anything else, but I don't upgrade every version. If they had an inexpensive basic upgrade I would.
jens wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:20 pm Either way, the relevance of Tracktion seems to decrease with every new major version they come up with.
Meh. It's hard to know without actual numbers. Tracktion has always been an under-the-radar DAW. Is it more so now than before? Let your perception be your guide, I guess.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

When TSC came back from the wilderness years, they only had Tracktion 4. Now they've diversified into plugins and bringing other devs under their umbrella, I guess it's both a blessing and a curse?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

dellboy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:01 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:32 pm
I have a 100% stable computer. Studio One crashes multiple times every day I use it. Least stable software I’ve ever owned.

Never said Waveform doesn’t crash - v11 has been very stable, and, as I said, crashes hardly ever in comparison to Studio One.
The answer must surely be to stop using Studio One then, its obviously unusable for you. Common sense.

Bandlab Sonar is very good, stable, and works great with external hardware. Why not give that a spin.
I think it's once again Cakewalk. Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Once again? It was never called Cakewalk. Since V1 it was called Sonar. Cakewalk (later Pro Audio) from Twelve Tones Systems (later Cakewalk) was a different DAW altogether (Sonar's predecessor).

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/super-sonar

jens wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:54 pm Once again? It was never called Cakewalk. Since V1 it was called Sonar. Cakewalk (later Pro Audio) from Twelve Tones Systems (later Cakewalk) was a different DAW altogether (Sonar's predecessor).

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/super-sonar
Don´t you think the new owners know how it´s called??

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Never tried Waveform but i have T7 and i quite like it. Never use it though :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”