Phuturetone GR-8 V/A Synth (KVR Dev Challenge)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Do you not see the hypocrisy in accusing me of having narrow tastes when Nettle is so unbelievably limited? I watched the video, heard the range of sounds presented and didn't even bother downloading it. I couldn't see it being more useful for us than any of our Kontakt libraries like Mosaic Tape or Straylight (which, last time I looked, weren't V/A synths). Because that's the thing, our music informs my choices and there simply isn't anywhere I could see us using something like Nettle. OTOH, just tonight I have slotted GR-8 into two different parts in one of our songs. It replaced ARP Odyssey and ANA 2, if you're interested, and gave the song the hard edge I'd been looking for. That's why I like it - it makes our songs better, which is the one and only thing I care about.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 am
BONES wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:57 am
pc2000 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 amThis is an entry to a cash prize contest. It's presented to be judged against other entrants.
Not here in the Instruments forum it's not. But even if it was, It stands head and shoulders above anything else in the contest in every way that's actually important.
Nettle beats it easily. But I know your taste is limited to classic VA synths with simple waveform oscillators and filters we have heard a zillion times…
(A little mirror for biased posters can’t hurt I guess…)
No offense, but I uninstalled Nettle a couple of minutes after trying. To my view this thing only produces garbled sounds. Appeared like an unfinished product to me, nothing but an experimental tool. :shrug:
My tastes are not limited to classic VA synths with simple waveforms oscillators and filters we have heard a zillion times, they're limited to sounds that remind me of something I could use in real life. If I make a production with Nettle, my audience will be like : WTF man... Are you making music for tortoises or something ? :shrug:
Last edited by DJErmac on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

bit narrow minded, why do you think all tortoises like the same music?

vurt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 pm bit narrow minded, why do you think all tortoises like the same music?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, sorry, my apologies. I have to admit my knowledge in tortoise music is very limited. If you have more informations about it, feel free to share, I'd love to know more.

Nettle beats it easily.
Why are you comparing them ? They are two completely different synths aimed at different targets. Nettle is thin and evolvoing and maybe useful for brittle ambient stuff. I thought that perhaps the presets were not doing it justice, but fiddling around with the controls does not produce anything much other that what it was designed for.

GR-8 on the other hand can handle the whole range of duties including ambient. Maybe not the evolving thin metallic sounding thing , but personally I have never had a need for that type of "press a key" and hear it evolve sort of stuff. It maybe has a use for Sci-fi . I uninstalled after a few minutes. Its all subjective of course, but GR-8 is a keeper and in a different league.

You see, we don't all make the same kind of music. I made this quick demo in a couple of hours using only GR-8 as a synth to see if it was usable in real life for me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rm9hjO ... sp=sharing

For my personal usage, GR-8 is the best entry this year.

DJErmac wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 pm You see, we don't all make the same kind of music. I made this quick demo in a couple of hours using only GR-8 as a synth to see if it was usable in real life for me.

Sounds good ! :)

Italo-disco meets euro synth pop (or something like it)

Shows how good this synth can sound in capable hands.

dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:31 pm
Nettle beats it easily.
Why are you comparing them ? They are two completely different synths aimed at different targets. Nettle is thin and evolvoing and maybe useful for brittle ambient stuff. I thought that perhaps the presets were not doing it justice, but fiddling around with the controls does not produce anything much other that what it was designed for.

GR-8 on the other hand can handle the whole range of duties including ambient. Maybe not the evolving thin metallic sounding thing , but personally I have never had a need for that type of "press a key" and hear it evolve sort of stuff. It maybe has a use for Sci-fi . I uninstalled after a few minutes. Its all subjective of course, but GR-8 is a keeper and in a different league.
Agreed with everything.

dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:50 pm
DJErmac wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 pm You see, we don't all make the same kind of music. I made this quick demo in a couple of hours using only GR-8 as a synth to see if it was usable in real life for me.

Sounds good ! :)

Italo-disco meets euro synth pop (or something like it)

Shows how good this synth can sound in capable hands.
Thanks !

I really don't know how to name this thing. :D

Call it "Dennis".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I had a mess about with GR8 yesterday, and it really has the potential to be a really top synth, I love it's sound tbh and it's workflow. But that CPU hit is crippling, i'd love to see it optimized and then I think it could become really popular.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

When did you d/l it? A new version went up a few days ago that slashes CPU usage.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am When did you d/l it? A new version went up a few days ago that slashes CPU usage.
Ah yeah, its older, i'll get the new one now.

OK well, there is no comparison now, the CPU hit has dropped considerably.

Yep, I can see me using this a lot, its got a really lush sound, and its workflow is really nice to use.

If it got even more optimized, I can see it being peoples mainstay. The Reaktor ensembles are nice too on their site, but Reaktor is crippling for CPU even though the sound from it is probably the best thing out there right now in softsynth land , some ensembles really are not beatable.

But I digress. I will be using this a lot now. Well done to the writers.

I hope he's not breaking any rules with updates during the challenge.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”