Infernal 2; y mas

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I pulled this composition together finally. this was way out on a limb.
I was looking at the files Scott Brazieal started off with in this (guy has a Job) that i'd managed to miss at the time.
I flew in two clips and got them landed on time. now we're talkin', I had motivic material to work with.
so there's the Brazieal basic piano, center, and I converse with it on 'enveloping piano'. which does an amazing thing, it mixes with other vibrations in the room to sound like this precise chorus/delay.
A big contrast of pianos, he uses a keyboard workstation, it kind of needs help but it rubs up against the gnarly background and sounds filthy and a bit aggro.a very detached jam session basis.

but it was lookin' sorta bleak til I came up with that strategy and fully got the drums going, which happened with some immediacy once I had the form.
not so much final to be sure but this is a composition.

yo k
Infernal 2

pianos, Absynth, bass flute, weird-ass Babel vox by Orch Tools x2, bowed vibes, extreme low winds, bassi.
drums
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hi Jan, I've quite possibly missed it entirely on my phone, but where's the track link?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Indeed no track or link...
My music project "Strange Adventures in Void" :arrow:
https://soundcloud.com/savoid

–––
Last edited by eassae on Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

I don't think I have the musical background to really hear this type of music. What is your relationship to Timbre vs melody/harmony? This is a question I've been interested in with music in general, as there seems to be more and more that relies on sonic events, for lack of a better word, vs melody/harmony. Is there a time structure in this piece that I'm unable to hear, or no?
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

sorry, the dropbox link seems to have gone missing

music that is formally basically just a series of events was a thing for Edgard Varese in the 1920s

the original track was one take, long tones and it did this build up, that's the basic form. the texture and mood were everything.
Rhythmically in the metered section, well It's not all 4/4; the choices were about let's say angles, shapes other than square. the drums will probably portray that design better in a minute.
I chose a straight pulse and kept it minimal-ish on the drums for purposes of tension along with the sonorous slow crescendo. It climaxes but doesn't follow through.

By the time SB's piano comes in meter is out the window. I signal a breakdown of pulse with a quick 5:4 gesture.

These sections are very interested in rhythm but it's, donno, avant garde. It would speak more to a person familiar with avant-garde jazz yeah. The ending I really like, it just hangs there harmonically, subversively.

but seriously, there is development of motifs and evveythang in the meterless part. it's 'derangement of the senses' or like that if it needs 'splainin . madness

original 'Infernal'
https://youtu.be/eXuo5HsYjiY

I'm passing happy with the piano parts, the straight rhythm in the crescendo I think is perfunctory and can improve, it does the trick at the end of it.

fixed mistakes.
doubled the first piano line with bass clarinet, kinda standing there naked
[fixed] most of them, that part sounded f**ked-up in the render. weird harmonic structure/too 'warm', mixed, the fundamental of one note got buried in the din and it sounded really ugly/wrong. how can you tell the diff one may ask
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

final
https://youtu.be/AuNEbJ6cHhI
(edit = video to include credit for Brazieal)
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really like the deep rumble at the beginning of the piece. Like I said, I feel a bit out of my depth when talking about this kind of music, but all the elements sound great, especially the piano.
eassae.com

thanks

the rhythm is more convincing in the straight bits. and the drums sound _good_ now

the precept of the thread is here is a hot mess, I intend to slap it into shape. like you should care
I'm pretty happy with it now, it's dynamic af

Oh yeah, the actual wind samples, you can hear it in the beginning (it's there for over half of it) and really featured in the end, are:
https://hiddensound.net/latest-activity#new-release
KVR member buzby
really good stuff, and there's a lot of it in a pack.

I was thinking about your track more last night, and I started thinking of it in terms of painting—a medium I feel more comfortable with in terms of vocabulary and history. Anyway, I started thinking of music in terms of abstraction vs non-objective. I don't know if there is such a thing as realism in music, maybe this terminology doesn't even make sense, but I equated your music with abstraction, or abstracted from the real(maybe traditional is a better word in music instead of realism?) as opposed to non-objective or purely formal.

Do you have any thoughts on this, or am I off in LALA land? Don't worry about sparing my feelings, I get offended by almost nothing.
eassae.com

I was about to say 'abstract'
there may be something to considering abstract vs *representative* in a vague sense.

I think you want repetition to be where structure must be founded, as per your initial question. Actually I did reiterate ideas in specifically how the drums articulate the time, but a rhythmic pattern like a beat under a song this hasn't any interest in. I started off with one idea but I picked up a pulse in the noise as it were and kept straight time til it does that sort of ruined orgasm, the idea was tension, dynamics.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:01 pm I was about to say 'abstract'
there may be something to considering abstract vs *representative* in a vague sense.

I think you want repetition to be where structure must be founded, as per your initial question. Actually I did reiterate ideas in specifically how the drums articulate the time, but a rhythmic pattern like a beat under a song this hasn't any interest in. I started off with one idea but I picked up a pulse in the noise as it were and kept straight time til it does that sort of ruined orgasm, the idea was tension, dynamics.
I'm not sure if I would say that repetition is what I want, but it is what I'm conditioned to for sure—maybe semantics?—and I realize that's not what you're going for at all. I guess I like to hear your thoughts, as to expand my criteria for judging and just listening to different types of music. For example just saying the idea was tension, dynamics, make perfect sense to me as it could be language used to describe a painting, and I would apply a different set of standards when viewing or in this case listening.
eassae.com

Return to “Music Cafe”