Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:27 am
AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm its all legal and legit isn't it?...
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 pm Emulator itself is legit and legal
AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm what's wrong with using a name?
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 pm it's up to the people writing it if they want to have their names attached to it or not.
AnX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 am doesnt answer the question tho
What was the question then?

IMO, if there's something that could potentially cause legal concerns it must be the ROM dumps as such and the sites hosting them, but not the emulator itself.
the question was why use unconventional payment methods....

seems like a group called the usual suspects? using bitcoin etc...?

if it's all legit, why not PayPal? what is the problem with using someone's real name?

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:17 am if it's all legit, why not PayPal? what is the problem with using someone's real name?
You say "if". There's all sorts of precedents, such as projects like MAME (which runs arcade game roms). This comparison is even more apt considering MAME has now added MIDI support, and the emulation of Yamaha sound chips mean synths, such as the Yamaha TX81Z, are available via MAME.

Provided care is taken in how things are packaged (trademarks / trade "dress" etc), these sorts of emulators ARE legal. There's no "dodgy area". They're 100% legit.

That doesn't mean a company, who might not like such a thing, couldn't attempt to find reasons to litigate. The problem there being such actions are often more about financial resources than who is in the legal "right". Thus the devs of this project appear to have taken a cautious approach, in terms of not inviting attention on any particular individual.

As for payment method.. You think Paypal are more legit than crypto-currencies? Hmmm. Maybe in terms of identity verification, but it's for optional donations rather than paying for a product, so doesn't make a whole lot of difference really..

The companies (who make the synths) still have options too. Native ports, of these synths, should always bring advantages and better performance. No quicker way to have people "forget" about this stuff than to announce they're doing their own VST port :)

numerouno wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:32 am
Shiek927 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:04 am Why couldn't you use a different core for each DSP chip on the original synth?
I honestly can't say definitively as I'm not a member of the team, but that's the information they've relayed a few times now....
Some things need to be clarified here :D
(Discord "dsp56300" writing)

Not sure where that rumor comes from, but the DSP emulation is only limited to a single core as long as we emulate devices that have one DSP.

If we emulate a machine that has got multiple DSPs, we can use multiple host cores to do so. Synchronization is not an issue as they do not operate on the same clock source. Two DSPs are not synchronized, the manufacturers came up with something very clever instead, and this helps us: They just feed the audio out of one DSP into the audio in of the next.

This is where "sync" comes into place for us and that is perfectly doable by using lock-free ring buffers or any other tech that I still have to think about, but it is definitely doable.

Before you ask: That is not going to happen soon. We first need to get the Virus B & C running properly, meaning including state saving and including a UI so this hassle with VirusHC, Ctrlr and loopMIDI is coming to an end.
Thank you very much for the clarification! my apologies if I was spreading any misinformation. It's certainly exciting if multi-DSP synths like the NL3, Nova, Q, and more are possible after all. Of course, those synths will wait a bit since there's still more work ahead and several 1-DSP synths to work on. Nevertheless, it's exciting news that every synth you guys have on your list is doable after all.

also, please clarify on your website that the Novation Supernova uses 8 DSP chips and not 1 :).

https://www.musicradar.com/news/synth-emulator-plugin

there's a new MusicRadar article about the project as well!

Well, it was him saying nobody wanted to put a real name to it which got me curious.... no big deal....im not really questioning the legality of the project

I can tell there aren't many gamers around these parts hahaha, but yes guys. This is the same as the scores of video game emulators for old-school consoles out there. Attaching the ROMs is illegal, but the Emulator itself is not. Regardless, everyone onboard has the right to privacy and, considering what they've developed which no other company has shown much interest in doing, created it at lightspeed in a matter of months, and are providing it for free, I think the gift of privacy is the least they can be given.

TLDR: don't overthink it, guys. Just enjoy it

for the last time, I'm not questioning the legality of the emu.... way to miss the point :roll:

Has anyone tried this yet? Which CPU are we talking about which is required to run this? Couldn't really try this yet, but, I assume my CPU is too slow anyway...

So I have this up and running ok in Ableton 11 doing what Gentleclockdivider said and put the emu and rom in the same folder using a Virus C rom.
Then stick this M4L device in front, Don't seem to be able to switch patches or anything yet and I'm getting 7% with the default single voice patch with some effects 8)
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6606/virusc

Edit - I can switch patches using the m4l device and even in poly mode using multiple voices I'm not going above 7% cpu on my I7 7700k @4.2 with 32gb Ram.
Some stuff won't work like the EQ, Distortion and Phaser but almost everything else does and this is a very quick way to get it up and running in Ableton
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

Did the Nord modular use these chips?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Don't seem to be able to switch patches
It seems to react to midi program changes, at least it worked here.
I have an 8 year old i5 , and just one voice =99cpu overhead0
Seven year old i7 here, 7% cpu here with one voice first two patches, odd.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:44 am Just create a new folder in your plugin dir , drop both the emulator and the rom in that folder.
Download acces virus midi cc list and create a generic midi cc template to control the virus ( almost any host can do that ).
That's how I do it , no need for a midi loopback controller
Awesome, thanks for that. :tu:

Will try it one of the next days.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 pm Did the Nord modular use these chips?
Yep! both the Nord Modular and Micro Modular

The Emulator works flawlessly using VSTHost in combination with VirusHC and midiLOOP, ive written a guide on how to set it up here: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/vsthost-configuration/

Judst tried it a bit. Funky. :) My CPU totally craps out though, as expected. Not able to play anything but some very simple patches. When I activate unison, for example, it's dropout galore. Very nice though. I'll keep an eye on this project, and hope for some performance improvements, and, maybe, one day, support for synths which use multiple of the Motorola DSP's.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 pm Did the Nord modular use these chips?
Yes they did .
I think the hardest part for the nord modular will be the editor ( if when they will ever do one )
It requires a separate midi bus for handling sysex data .
Happy G1 rack owner since 2003 :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”