Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chris-S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am It's a Core-i7 @ 2.6 GHz. The Impact-Benchmark reporting 220 MIPS.
IIRC, I had about 200 to 210 MIPs, and most sounds weren't really working. Anyway, if it works, it works. :)

deleted.
Last edited by Chris-S on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

using the newest, 1.2.20 version:
Chris-S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am - L and R are swapped (PAN-knobs)
not anymore
the pan in the patchlist ("part volume" shows to theleft, pans to the left
corresponding the "panning" setting in the ARP|SETTINGS page
Chris-S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am - No master volume (CC7) knob (at least couldn't find one)
left to the pan knob in the ARP|SETTINGS page is a "PATCH VOLUME" knob
acts as a master volume as far as i might see....
Chris-S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am EDIT: Virus B apparently does not have an equalizer
same here: B

patch volume CC91 is per patch (sic), master volume is global.
PS: Thanks for fixing

D-Fusion wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:10 amYou don't buy the Rom Files since they are there as a service for your product to fix problems or add more to your product.
The rom isn't a "service". It's included, and the product doesn't function without it. There's also ways to extract the contents without ever downloading anything. Rights of use can go past simple copyright, into areas like right to repair, too. All of that varies by circumstances and location. So there's no simplistic legal answers, outside of saying seek permission from Access if someone is in doubt and cares about legality.

The only reason, to even mention any of it, is some implied the thread should be shut down because such programs must be illegal (untrue), or that there was never any legal usage possible (uncertain / unproven .. ). Further, some thought downloading the ROM was illegal. (Untrue). But unauthorized distribution isn't allowed and, especially if you don't own the product(s) (and maybe even if you do), it's not unlike warez usage without permission from Access. None of that should have to be said, but some wanted to link to roms etc which, even if just in theory, leaves KVR liable. So don't do that.

SLiC wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:42 amPersonally I think there are better synths now in VST form anyway, so nobody really needs theses synths for music, but they definitely mean a lot to a lot of people (like retro video games)
Yep, I'm of the same opinion. For a certain group of people the Virus (not unlike the JP8000) was/is an important synth. So there is likely still a market there, of people willing to pay, if Access ever went down the virtual path. Just maybe not enough to tempt them to divert attention from the amp business..

nevermind
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muki wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:23 pm
Chris-S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am - L and R are swapped (PAN-knobs)
not anymore
Hopefully you fixed only for the B, because the C is panning correct. :P
EDIT: Test with v1.2.20 was successfull.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:40 am I'm not familiar with international laws,protecting software developers,program codes,so on programming stuff related to ROM business,but as sound designer and musician i can say that since modern OS have copy/paste function,everything in digital environment is legal- what i mean?
First nobody copyright the sound,there is no such a service,law protection so on ,which is bad,especially for sound designers,but in general help music evolution at all.
There is no law or any legal restriction to use sounds from ROM because the sound itself isn't property - the company owner of the synth,doesn't own the sound,even the designer made it doesn't have such - isn't moral issue if a kids use illigal sound,it's legal issue,cause nobody did anything to protect the work and products of the sound designers.
I suspect it's companies fault,cause they should keep rights over the sound as product,but nobody did anything in that direction last 50 years,back then was impossible,now is possible to be used some sort of digital signature,but nobody cares,sound designers are still like pet without name,woking almost for free.
So in fact people have legal rights to use any sound from any ROM and any synthesizer if somebody like these guys developing Motorola DSP563xx Emulator give them a tool to do it.
It's not immoral,it's not illegal,it's legal issue about copyrighting/authorising sound nobody even talk about,that there is nothing about protecting authors rigths even as conversation in 2022.
I try to open such a discussion few times,but zero result,obviously nobody cares.
So any thought about right vs wrong,legal vs illegal are only about software,licences so on not about the sound - everybody is free to use any sound, its' a jungle,when it comes to the sound as business www :)Cheers :)
Do you really believe and think its ok to take all the sounds you sell, to publish them on a web site somewhere to download them for free?
There are laws to protect you against things like that.
But first of all, its a different scenario than with a copy of a freely available ROM which they did not care about for years. They most likely benefitted from it, as it allowed users to fix problems. There is something called Customary law. If for years it was tolerated to get that ROM, it might be applicable here.
I guess it would be too late for them and not worth the hassle to get a case clearing it in all the countries of the world… The sounds is not the business of Access, its the hardware. I doubt this will affect their business. To the contrary, it might even push it, because more people get to know the hardware and how it can sound…
I would say, yes its a gray area, but nothing to worry about. It will stay gray unless the company itself will comment about it…
In the mean time we will have fun with it.
There is a similar case with old Macintosh emulators (Sheepshaver for example). Apple never cared about it, and if you owned such an old machine, it was legal to copy the ROM. I wondered always why. They even did not support that project and pay the developers for protecting their history…

I'm not familiar with international laws

Clearly

There is no law or any legal restriction to use sounds from ROM because the sound itself isn't property - the company owner of the synth,doesn't own the sound

Wrong

everybody is free to use any sound

Wrong again

This sort of misinformation could get somebody into trouble.

sound designers are still like pet without name,woking almost for free

some maybe, others are making decent money. i know a couple who make "stupid amounts of cash"

it depends who and what you are designing sounds for.
and of course how good you are, and if you are doing interesting work.

nevermind
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:09 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:40 am I'm not familiar with international laws,protecting software developers,program codes,so on programming stuff related to ROM business,but as sound designer and musician i can say that since modern OS have copy/paste function,everything in digital environment is legal- what i mean?
First nobody copyright the sound,there is no such a service,law protection so on ,which is bad,especially for sound designers,but in general help music evolution at all.
There is no law or any legal restriction to use sounds from ROM because the sound itself isn't property - the company owner of the synth,doesn't own the sound,even the designer made it doesn't have such - isn't moral issue if a kids use illigal sound,it's legal issue,cause nobody did anything to protect the work and products of the sound designers.
I suspect it's companies fault,cause they should keep rights over the sound as product,but nobody did anything in that direction last 50 years,back then was impossible,now is possible to be used some sort of digital signature,but nobody cares,sound designers are still like pet without name,woking almost for free.
So in fact people have legal rights to use any sound from any ROM and any synthesizer if somebody like these guys developing Motorola DSP563xx Emulator give them a tool to do it.
It's not immoral,it's not illegal,it's legal issue about copyrighting/authorising sound nobody even talk about,that there is nothing about protecting authors rigths even as conversation in 2022.
I try to open such a discussion few times,but zero result,obviously nobody cares.
So any thought about right vs wrong,legal vs illegal are only about software,licences so on not about the sound - everybody is free to use any sound, its' a jungle,when it comes to the sound as business www :)Cheers :)
Do you really believe and think its ok to take all the sounds you sell, to publish them on a web site somewhere to download them for free?
There are laws to protect you against things like that.
But first of all, its a different scenario than with a copy of a freely available ROM which they did not care about for years. They most likely benefitted from it, as it allowed users to fix problems. There is something called Customary law. If for years it was tolerated to get that ROM, it might be applicable here.
I guess it would be too late for them and not worth the hassle to get a case clearing it in all the countries of the world… The sounds is not the business of Access, its the hardware. I doubt this will affect their business. To the contrary, it might even push it, because more people get to know the hardware and how it can sound…
I would say, yes its a gray area, but nothing to worry about. It will stay gray unless the company itself will comment about it…
In the mean time we will have fun with it.
There is a similar case with old Macintosh emulators (Sheepshaver for example). Apple never cared about it, and if you owned such an old machine, it was legal to copy the ROM. I wondered always why. They even did not support that project and pay the developers for protecting their history…
Man it's a problem even to start a talk about sound designer's 'rights',that's how deep is rabbit hole in this 'business',nobody even cares who made the sounds you are listening when turn radio on...

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:35 pm sound designers are still like pet without name,woking almost for free

some maybe, others are making decent money. i know a couple who make "stupid amounts of cash"

seriously,share some of these names and their interesting work...if there is such outside your imagination...

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:30 am
vurt wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:35 pm sound designers are still like pet without name,woking almost for free

seriously,share some of these names and their interesting work...if there is such outside your imagination...
You find them on sites who sell synth VSTs, they are simply hired by those companies to create the factory sounds.
KVR member Himalaya is great, as well as Simon Stockhausen (Sampleconstruct) who has his own forum here. And of course the Jordan Rudess of sound designers Richard Devine. He is all over the place and his sounds are most likely not your taste… They all value quality over quantity…
Its never about bread and butter sounds, though you need to be able to deliver those as well. And they have to work without reverb and other fx…
If you want to get into that business, you should know the heroes of the scene and of course build up your connection network. I guess just posting on KVR isn’t sufficient for that…

Return to “Instruments”