Antivirus False Positives?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, I'm excited to try out these different plugins, but I've gotten several trojan alerts when scanning various ones. Does this happen a lot? Are they false positives because VirusTotal hasn't seen them before? Please forgive me if this has been answered, but I didn't find anything on it.

I don't know about VirusTotal specifically, but as another example, Microsoft Smartscreen can show some scary looking warnings when you open an installer that not many users have run before:
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen determines whether a downloaded app or app installer is potentially malicious by:

[...] Checking downloaded files against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Windows users. If the file isn't on that list, Microsoft Defender SmartScreen shows a warning, advising caution.
Very frustrating for independent developers.

carter_modsound wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Very frustrating for independent developers.
I completely agree. It's so ingrained in me to be on the look out for those warnings and so even if they're false positives, you still think twice.

32 bit for any 32 bit vst for the most part. I'd think it's likely that in the past older 32 bit plugins were made that did damage therefore it was assumed that others could do the same.

C-C- -01

This one is probably the most dangerous according to McAfee because the link is a noted and reported trojan.

For that to have happened is the file was scanned by McAfee or one of the competitors registered a complaint against the plugin. As the message implies that they had scanned the file already and it was on a register of known trojans I give the other developers the benefit of the doubt.

However I agree that some initially scanning should have been done by the promoters of the competition. The last thing i would want as the promoter of a competition is for a whole group of downloaders to be infected by a virus by the winning entrant. :oops:

The problem is i dont think that KVR has the resources to do that as they are merely a platform to sell products of producers. Plus getting someone like Norton, McAfee or Malwarebytes to check competition files would outstrip the prize money. However i would expect that the promoter had done this even because you see on some sites the name of the provider who scanned the file and link to the report. If I am wrong on this then I apologise.

i've been downloading these developer challenge plugins since forever. i don't notice any differences.

daw hiccup, that's always been there. i blame that on my weak almost 11 years old windows 7 computer.

or maybe it's improper buffer settings.

anyways, got to go and get back to testing the plugins. ciao.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I had a good old chuckle to myself after recently installing Big Sur. It really didn't like AmpLion...just straight up said "This file will damage your computer", no "may damage..." or anything, just a solid Nope! You can't have this. I'm actually quite surprised the number of plugins I have lost with this update, but I guess plenty are getting pretty long in the tooth and I seriously can't be arsed paying for dot point updates that basically offer no functional improvements (apart from maybe graphics scaling) in 8 or 9 years (you listening Scuffham?).

One good thing about this, though, it has certainly cured my software GAS. Logic does fine with just a very few decent plugins. No more DAW collecting, no more scouring the net for the latest 90% off discount. Actually, I'm not even collecting hardware anymore, I have a better than functional studio (although quite minimalist by today's standards I guess) but I am pretty sure I can still be learning what I have for many years to come.

A lot of SE stuff throws warnings, I think it's just to do with the way it's packaged with the sems. Always been the case.

Indeed

it will happen a lot

I think you're giving them too much credit. Some dude making sine oscillators is not thinking about credit card skimming from a call center in India.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”