Are DAWs Today Just Boring ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hitherepeople wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:59 pm What is boring is that I still have stability issues with several hosts. Studio One has been pretty good though.
Audio software isn't perfect...

If you look at the last posts in the thread "Why you left Cubase",
you will see: Cubase is not boring at all! :roll:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

exactly my definition as pertains to the thread question: Cubase 11 needs to be less exciting

I'm living for these threads

NÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ! I remember recording on a little Phillips cassette deck, one of the first ones that came out in the 60's. The mic input was a a DIN input! It had a volume control for recording, not a 'condensor mic' with a 'limiter.' That was what I started on in 1974. Still have a couple of cassettes from that era. I never dreamed of the day that I'd have something like Logic Pro on a home computer where the only limits are my time and talent. There's so many things to do and learn in Logic, I doubt anyone knows everything it's capable of.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

there were, for some reason, two cassette decks in the house when I was 12, 13. I would try to sync-bounce and overdub.
I was more about found sound (musique concrete) than trying to construct "music" in the normal sense, but I did try a couple of things from a drums 'track' first. Enlisted my father to try and get a sort of basic kick/hat/snare track, he was basically inept so...

//
Last edited by expecto on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

They're too good now and we don't sample enough. I've listened to old demoscene tracker artists using newer daws and their music doesn't sound near as inspired as their old 8-bit work.

You are boring

arkmabat wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:28 amI've listened to old demoscene tracker artists using newer daws and their music doesn't sound near as inspired as their old 8-bit work.
The story of my life... :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I think DAWs are overly chocked full of crap to cater for every Tom,Dick and Harry.

I just tried samplitude Music Studio.

When I insert a midi object,it gives me this tiny editor after I click the object.

It should fill the screen.

When clicking an object,it should size itself to fit in the screen space instead of a tiny little editor with crap crammed around it.

All these zoom functions lol.

Just click a track in the mixer then bang that mixer is the main focus of the screen.

Click a midi item or object,bam,that object fills the screen.

Why are DAWS crammed full of crap?

DAWs just aren't that intuitive to use or practical to use unless you are a techhead.

I'm a musician.

Smasha wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 am I'm a musician.
Try MuLab, it's hands on, everything is there and accessible, you can go crazy patching things up if you want to behind the scenes, DAW is totally modular, fun musicians DAW, don't think I stumbled upon anyone in real world that didn't find it intuitive and fun to work with, even without prior knowledge of DAW and music making.

It is simply a question of take what you want and leave the rest. Logic is way more complicated and powerful for my needs, but for what I do, it's good to know if I want to do something differently, I can.
I, too, am primarily a musician. Been playing guitar and keys for the better part of 50 years. But Logic is not that hard to get your head around if you are simply into tracking and using softsynths.

Personally, I think the issue is not the DAW, it's whatever one brings to the table. Shit in, shit out.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

boring is not how i would describe my reaper daw. complicated is the word, to me at least. but i don't have to learn every function. it does what i need it to do. just midi stuff mostly.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm
Smasha wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 am I'm a musician.
Try MuLab, it's hands on, everything is there and accessible, you can go crazy patching things up if you want to behind the scenes, DAW is totally modular, fun musicians DAW, don't think I stumbled upon anyone in real world that didn't find it intuitive and fun to work with, even without prior knowledge of DAW and music making.
Mulab intuitive??? I love Jo and his DAW, but it's only intuitive if you're into modular. If you're a player, it's going to take some time to suss things out. That's not a knock, but intuitive as it's thrown around as a term in this forum (and in general) is highly dependent on experience.

Besides which, I think intuitive is not nearly as important as efficient. I don't care how easy it is to figure out a method if it works quickly and well once I know it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”