Are DAWs Today Just Boring ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes MuLab is intuitive, much more than Reaper, Samplitude, Cubase and what have you, at least for getting basics done, as the poster that I responded needed.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:34 pm Yes MuLab is intuitive, much more than Reaper, Samplitude, Cubase and what have you
Is it? Never had that impression when I used it. About the same, more or less.

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:12 pm Mulab intuitive??? I love Jo and his DAW, but it's only intuitive if you're into modular.
Yep.

I also always read that Reason is intuitive. Not when you go deeper... actually, I'd even say it's one of the harder DAW's to master, with all the stuff they added, and all the things you can do with it, modular wise.

At least I always found that Studio One is ten times easier to learn, for example.

I too find MuLab intuitive. It has modules but they function not like "hardware modulars" but more like nodes in a signal flow. So it's like a language for diagramming musical ideas. You need to learn some new 'words' but then you have a lot of freedom
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:45 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:34 pm Yes MuLab is intuitive, much more than Reaper, Samplitude, Cubase and what have you
Is it? Never had that impression when I used it. About the same, more or less.
Yes it is, for someone that never used DAW MuLab is really fun and intuitive, I tried to teach same people to do the same basic things on number of DAW's just so they can figure out what suits them the most, 9/10 of those guys went for MuLab and think one went with Logic because I gave him my Macbook and spend a day explaining him everything.

Mind you, those are the guys that will just knock down something quick to rap on, dunno, go and try to teach someone who never used a DAW to use your favorite DAW and convince him that all that makes sense because down the line your favorite DAW have better comping, ARA and whatever, he doesn't care, that's why tons of them use FL happily ever after.

Ok. Maybe it's the cartoon-ish looking GUI which made it so easy for them.

Sorry, just had to make that snippy comment. :D But, seriously, I think any DAW involves some learning curve, and, I really don't see MuLab being easier in that regard. It might have less feature than the others, granted, but, it also makes some things differently, which is always problematic when you're used to the way most DAW's work.

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:00 pm Ok. Maybe it's the cartoon-ish looking GUI which made it so easy for them.
Sure, that GUI is one of the reasons too, it all feels like game and fun. Also when you open it up for the first time you are immediately in project template that opens in piano roll ready to pencil in your beat, there's bass patch ready on another channel and so on, that alone make them click with it quickly.

So I taught that guy to use Logic and he had another one of his colleagues that use FL over, guy couldn't believe anyone can work in it, it went over his head, Logic 9, all grey and bunch of tracks zoomed out, it looks like work, nothing about whole thing really doesn't scream fun...

We are all different, we are reaching different stages of production differently and have different expectations, MuLab isn't my thing when I take my whole journey from start to finish into account and the way I work, but for those guys that aren't going to get beyond few looped bars to rap on, it's just the ticket. FL too, plenty never leave step sequencer pattern area.

Ive used Bitwig a lot in the past few years. It's a really fun DAW. There's a lot of 'flow' in the more creative parts of writing electronic music.

It's most completely taken over from cubase for me.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm
Smasha wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 am I'm a musician.
Try MuLab, it's hands on, everything is there and accessible, you can go crazy patching things up if you want to behind the scenes, DAW is totally modular, fun musicians DAW, don't think I stumbled upon anyone in real world that didn't find it intuitive and fun to work with, even without prior knowledge of DAW and music making.
I googled Mulab in you tube and got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxXoQDo4XM&t=56s

I looove the interface,uncluttered and practical.

Will be giving this a try.

Smasha wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm I googled Mulab in you tube and got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxXoQDo4XM&t=56s

I looove the interface,uncluttered and practical.

Will be giving this a try.
Awesome. 8)

Be sure to drop by with any question on their side of KVR forum, community around this DAW is amazing and helpful, lot of really cool guys that will help you with everything, also brain behind operation Jo is there too on disposal, it's like one small family over there. :hug:

viewforum.php?f=79

OK,having fun with the Mulab demo but now can't work out the simplest of tasks,how do I add an empty midi item?

I am left clicking on the screen,right clicking looking for an "insert midi item" dialog.

No menus to look this up.

I'm going senile.

P.S. duh,I have to hold down the left mouse button and drag an item into the arranger screen.

Odear.

Added an Instrument track in Mulab but not showing in the track section to the left,argh.

Mulab is intuitive,love the uncluttered layout but still stuffing around with simple tasks.

O my,this DAW scales!!!!! Awesome,I can see!,I can see!!!

P.S. Still stuffing around trying to figure out why my added instrument track in the mixing section,is not being added to the arranger section?

Drag the mixer to the arranger.
MuTools forum:
viewforum.php?f=79
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:14 am Drag the mixer to the arranger.
MuTools forum:
viewforum.php?f=79
Thank You. :tu:

I made a quick dance beat in Mulab,took me 15 mins.

I tried to duplicate the same beat in Reason 12,still fumbling around.

My right locator has gone MIA in Reason.

Reason is really very frustrating to work with for me.

Ok,I found a tiny little button I found by squinting hard at the screen that closes the editor,then I selected the midi Item and right moused "set loop to selection"

You really need PERFECT Eyesight for the majority of DAWS.

Thinking of buying a huuge TV to read the microscopic fonts and symbols which the majority of DAWS display.

I would love DPI scaling but NOT at the sacrifice of font or image quailty.

Mulab seems to be the ONLY DAW with built in scaling.

I will try Windows 10 scaling at 150 dpi with Reason and see if it isn't a blurry mess,after all Reason 's images and fonts are now high res.

We shall see.

P.S. Reason 12 scales BEAUTIFULLY at 150 dpi!!

No blurring textures.

I use this utility.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... i_fix.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”