Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:49 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm ... which could well leave you with a non-functional software, if things go bad.

But then, that's not exclusive to Steinberg. They all do that, more or less.
It would have to go really bad, isf a program with barealy one year would stop working, all of a sudden. I still have Cubase 8.5 installed (because of 32-bit bridge that no longer exists in later versions) and you know what? It still works, in the latest Windows 10 version, in a brand new i9 10k computer.
Imagine a manufacturer would introduce a new CPU architecture. Oops!
Imagine I would sh*t on that manufacturer :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:46 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm ... which could well leave you with a non-functional software, if things go bad.

It would have to go really bad, isf a program with barealy one year would stop working, all of a sudden. I still have Cubase 8.5 installed (because of 32-bit bridge that no longer exists in later versions) and you know what? It still works, in the latest Windows 10 version, in a brand new i9 10k computer.
So, basically, on all that is present today.

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:08 am
fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:46 am

So, basically, on all that is present today.
What? Did you read what I wrote? I am running Cubase 8.5 (as well as Cubase 11) in a newer PC assembled in the end of last year, running the latest version of Windows 10.

I am also using an RME HDSP PCI + Multiface. Of course, this wouldn't be possible in that other platform we know about :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

And you have said that you will shit on any manufacturer that introduced a new architecture. Is that correct? Or I am missing something?

Your interpretation is incorrect. He didn't say that he shits on any manufacturer that introduces a new architecture.

I'd shit on it as well though, if I can't even use my old stuff anymore (not that I don't shit on it for other reasons as well though..). In another thread someone asked if Waldorf Largo will get a M1 compatibility update. I highly doubt it. And, I wouldn't want to live without Largo really. Being on the bleeding edge of technology sucks, especially when you claim that your computers are professional music, design and what not workstations. That's like the far opposite of what you should do then.

Not that Microsoft isn't on a good way to become the same though, regarding the system requirements of Windows 11. Obviously they learned from Apple, in a bad way.

I mean, it's clearly an overstatement, windows had arm computers for a while now. But they seem to not support almost any professional software.

And now, after Apple's success with ARM architecture, all other manufacturers sudenly started to develop an arm-based soc.

So I assumed that "shit on this manufacturer" also affects future products.

Yeah, Windows has ARM as well, but, it never really took off, most probably also because of compatibility problems. As far as I know, there's very few ARM native software for Windows.

If anything, it will take decades for Windows to completely adopt ARM. Apple just says "Screw this, we will do it now, today.". Ok, that's just consequent. People will have to live with the consequences of such consequence though.

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:35 am I mean, it's clearly an overstatement, windows had arm computers for a while now. But they seem to not support almost any professional software.

And now, after Apple's success with ARM architecture, all other manufacturers sudenly started to develop an arm-based soc.

So I assumed that "shit on this manufacturer" also affects future products.
If Microsoft would EVER assume a clear bet on ARM, I think that would never be made at the cost of stopping support existing platofrm. So, users would have the possibility to choose which platform to use, and therefore, keeping compatibility.

Which, BTW, is the status of Apple too. They even said they will not abandon Intel right away. Only the lower part of their catalog is now ARM based. Any top model is still Intel.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

It is true.
Anyways, very interesting why many big software names already created native apple silicon products but were laughing on windows with their ARM laptops back then (Adobe particularly). But MacOS is only around, what? 10% of the market?
I am very surprised about the speed of software transition.

Back to the topic. Dongles suck balls :D

IF Microsoft would go fully ARM, it would be still ol' Win NT with just an additional layer for ARM. Win98 icons would be still there for all of us who can't live without them :D

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:32 pm It is true.
Anyways, very interesting why many big software names already created native apple silicon products but were laughing on windows with their ARM laptops back then (Adobe particularly). But MacOS is only around, what? 10% of the market?
Adobe? Not ALL of them - just a few: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-instal ... -chip.html

And they will keep supporting Intel too:

"Will Adobe continue to support Apple devices with Intel processors?
Yes. We have no plans to stop support for Apple devices with Intel processors."

Better safe than sorry, I guess. And the amount of their monthly revenue helps paying for the extra burden in development costs :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:02 pm That won't break your DAW though.
My mac mini m1 runs all my daws just fine, either as native or through rosetta(including cubase).

Do you actually own an m1 mac or are you just regurgitating some bollocks you saw on a clickbait youtube video?
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Be happy that most developers contemporarily patched their software, that's all I can say.

AFAIK, Logic Pro and Bitwig are the only ones which run natively on M1 anyway, anything else is Rosetta.

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:20 pm Be happy that most developers contemporarily patched their software, that's all I can say.

AFAIK, Logic Pro and Bitwig are the only ones which run natively on M1 anyway, anything else is Rosetta.
MOTU DP is M1 native also. I'm sure both users are stoked.

And Reaper as well…
Bitwig in native mode is the one one which can run plugins which are native together with those which are not (yet)… Only old 32-bit plugins are locked out…
And as Max 8.2 will be native as well (its in public beta now), its only a question of time to switch to a way faster macbook pro…

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”