Went OTB - and then ITB again

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:21 am
kcearl wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:58 pmThis was all done in the Force, no onboard FX or built in synths were used...Im not saying its great but its nothing to do with being a DJ or making poppy EDM (not thats theres anything wrong with that) :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/superjakes/faultline
First off, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should or that it makes sense to. But this is very much DJ music. Like that woman's stuff, it doesn't go anywhere. It just meanders along, pretty much the same all the way through. You could cut into or out of it anywhere and it wouldn't make a difference. And you're all forgetting, or maybe it just never occurred to you, that I've done a lot more with a lot less. I used to get by with a drum machine and a one track sequencer and no sampler at all. This song is from 1986, although this recording of it was a couple of years later, when I had a two-track Korg SQD-1 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxmqD82 ... Nefastuoso
I really dont like to comment on other peoples work as we all play, and approach things differently (unlike yourself it seems)….but that was pretty awful, your bandcamp tracks are not my cup of tea but theyre (obviously) better, I remember that kinda stuff in the mid late eighties, but that was just not something Id ever be interested in or appreciate…I remember the kids into this stuff, techno ran over that scene in the UK anyway, thankfully.

Im glad you can make a living with it though… and your laptop, zero interest in making music with a laptop, Im sure I have one lying about though…its probably apple :)

Oh, that recording is terrible and I was never happy with it. But it was 1988 and someone graciously gave me three days in a studio to make a whole album, and he insisted on producing it. I could hardly say no but a year later I could do better from home because I'd bought a Korg M1. That was the way all through the 80s and into the mid-90s. The more money you could spend on studio time, the better you could sound. But I never felt ready to properly commit to an album until '95 or '96 and that is the first thing I ever did that I was happy with. Although, looking back now, I can appreciate for what it is and I'm glad it's out there. My first single, from 1986, is actually a lot better than I ever thought it was until someone wanted to re-release it a few years ago (which they did).

We don't make any money from music. I don't think anyone in our genre really does any more. Music costs me a fortune, really. I spend way too much on stuff I never end up using, just because it interests me at the time and we get nothing back. Our no. 1 album on the German Alternative Chart in 2016 netted us a total 69 CD sales and less than €10 from streaming in the first 6 months after release.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:21 am
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pmfrankly I couldn't give a friggin flying freaky fck about what people use
Really? I pick up quite a bit from it when people are happy to discuss things,
It happens by coincidents here. If I can hear people's music, I may get curious as to what they use, but not particularly interested in discussing it. However, mostly my gains are random pick ups, which actually reminds me to thank you for bringing my attention to Vital some threads ago in some conversation (or what to name it) you had with someone. I checked it out. Saw the JP Bass patch, tweaked it and got a better analog type bass to my taste than a couple of my emus. I mainly use one bass type, but made with different synths to vary it, and this one was a blast to me and actually the bass synth in our upcoming new tune. So, mate, there is an effect: The butterfly effect. My brain usually triggers my attention if it detects something in the ongoing chaos fractals of KVR.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

kcearl wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:58 pmThis was all done in the Force, no onboard FX or built in synths were used...Im not saying its great but its nothing to do with being a DJ or making poppy EDM (not thats theres anything wrong with that) :tu:

That develops nicely. I like it. I wanted to really like the Force more than I do. The pads suck. No, they SUCK! It kills my vibe working with it.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:40 am

That develops nicely. I like it. I wanted to really like the Force more than I do. The pads suck. No, they SUCK! It kills my vibe working with it.
Thx :tu:

Im not going to argue anyones opinion on the pads…they sit somewhere between the Push 1 & Push 2 in quality…which fall somewhat behind the Mk3 launchpad pro, which are best in class imho. Its a pity as I really rate the new MPC pads over the old models, but its all personal taste. I find them fine for most sequencing duties but anything expressive I use my keyboards.

All I know is Ive been through most of the grooveboxes, electribe, new and old, Roland MCs, new and old (MC707 and 101 sit on a shelf just now), quirky casios, unusable Zooms (yes both arqs lol) MPCs including the new Live and One, all the hybrids…maschine, MPC studio, Spark….yet, for me, none touch the Force in its current beta state. It just does exactly what I want it to do with little fuss.

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:11 am Oh, that recording is terrible and I was never happy with it. But it was 1988 and someone graciously gave me three days in a studio to make a whole album, and he insisted on producing it. I could hardly say no but a year later I could do better from home because I'd bought a Korg M1. That was the way all through the 80s and into the mid-90s. The more money you could spend on studio time, the better you could sound. But I never felt ready to properly commit to an album until '95 or '96 and that is the first thing I ever did that I was happy with. Although, looking back now, I can appreciate for what it is and I'm glad it's out there. My first single, from 1986, is actually a lot better than I ever thought it was until someone wanted to re-release it a few years ago (which they did).

We don't make any money from music. I don't think anyone in our genre really does any more. Music costs me a fortune, really. I spend way too much on stuff I never end up using, just because it interests me at the time and we get nothing back. Our no. 1 album on the German Alternative Chart in 2016 netted us a total 69 CD sales and less than €10 from streaming in the first 6 months after release.
I made a lot of stuff on a fostex four track, a sampling casio, and a Boss dr55 in the late 80s…thankfully lost as they were truly bad…but I sung then, Id never do that now lol.

Look mate youve obviously got talent, and damned you got an opinion, I just offer mine as it took me a long time to get the set up Im as happy with now. There is no denying there are advantages and disadvantages with different set ups have but if it doesnt move you to pick up (or load) an instrument to play, then its all a bit pointless. Playing live offers a whole new set of needs and challenges…not something Im interested in, though something I can very much respect.

pixel85 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 am Alright, your response is enough for me to know that it's not even worth to bother :D
Oh god, I feel like I'm getting sucked back in to the world of hardware sequencers. Again!

You've seen the new Retrokits hardware sequencer? The one that looks like an effing calculator???
My gas is on 100. Must be a bloody mental disorder... :dog:

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:12 am
pixel85 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 am Alright, your response is enough for me to know that it's not even worth to bother :D
Oh god, I feel like I'm getting sucked back in to the world of hardware sequencers. Again!

You've seen the new Retrokits hardware sequencer? The one that looks like an effing calculator???
My gas is on 100. Must be a bloody mental disorder... :dog:

/C
For me it's the opposite. I hate that thing just by looking at it 😁 Maybe partially because I hated math in school ;)

pixel85 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 am Maybe partially because I hated math in school ;)
If you hated math in school - shouldn't you love calculators? :hihi:

I was kinda hoping it was a synth!. Looks like it has a little speaker on it!

_leras wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:25 pm
pixel85 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 am Maybe partially because I hated math in school ;)
If you hated math in school - shouldn't you love calculators? :hihi:

I was kinda hoping it was a synth!. Looks like it has a little speaker on it!

its a microphone.
for voice activation.

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:31 pm its a microphone.
for voice activation.
sounds interesting!

_leras wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:31 pm its a microphone.
for voice activation.
sounds interesting!
im joking, i have no idea sorry :shrug:

It's not a speaker or a microphone. It's a ventilation hole to let air in for the gremlins inside that work the thing. They'd suffocate if there was no grille... :tu:

And...no way on earth I could work with those h/w sequencers again. It's seeing crap like that once in a while that really makes me appreciate how it all went s/w with DAWs. I started out with one of those Yamaha sequencers - a QY something-or-other. Hated it. I still prefer h/w for an awful lot of things, but sequencing/arranging I really can't see any advantage of h/w over s/w. That sort of thing is just obsessional for the sake of it.

it's actually a speaker, but for metronome only.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”