Korg ARP Odyssey vs 26000

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

btw, does anyone know how long Korg's current sale is going to last?

So I have the Odyssey and it sounds really nice. The arpeggiator modulation options are also really good as well. However it has the same problem as the M1, and indeed some of their other apps, it's not very loud. However the M1 has a global setting where you can boost the volume. I can't find anything similar. In fact there don't seem to be any settings options at all; I can save them and then load them, but I can't find anything to change them. So I'm not sure what I'm saving or loading as a result. Perhaps I've overlooked something

i think the volume is set up the way it is to give the drive gain some headroom - otherwise it would go over 0dB when cranked at high resonance. it peaks at around -6dB as it is if you drive it hard on the original filter.

So you recommend using the distortion component to increase gain if required?

that's not what I mean: use the master output on the big-screen setting to push up the output volume if you want. i think they've just set up the gain on the default patches to keep a lid on its output if someone cranks the resonance and drive gain when filter I is engaged.

and pop a gain plugin on the channel if that's not enough.

I was referring to a situation where the master ouput (the fader on the right next to the reverb is already at max.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you

as with any instrument, if it ain't loud enough, just follow it with a gain plugin.

the ARP Odyssey is fairly straightforward, though unique, which I think is the reason to get into it. The 2600 offers a lot more possibilities, but like someone else said I'm not into modular.

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am specifically in regard to the softsynth versions.

The Korg one is non modular, which I like because modular synthesis isn't for me.

Would i then be correct in assuming that in terms of pure synthesis/sound design options it is less capable? (Whether that matters or not isn't relevant here)?
Well, I think the original ARP2600 was mainly interesting, because the lack of similar (three oscillator, semi modular) synths and also as a cheap(?), compact alternative to a real modular, with an overall very good and probably unique sound. By virtual and today's standards, the structure was/is not that convincing to me. I preferred the Moog ModularV over the ARP2600V and later Reaktor.

So my vote would go to the ARP emulation with the best sound. It makes no difference for me, whether the ARP2600, or the Odyssey. I own Oddity2 and also the Korg ARP Odyssey VST, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound. They are okay, you can do music with it....

The ARP Odyssey plugin is phenomenally good. I own both the plugin and the actual hardware (Korg module) and it's pretty easy to make them sound identical (I seriously can't tell which is which if I'm not looking). It's one of the best analog synth emulations I've ever used. As is usually the case, the slider positions do not exactly match; you have to tune it by ear to get the sound right (if you're trying to match the hardware, that is).

I have yet to hear an ARP 2600 plugin that sounds as good as Korg's ARP Odyssey plugin. Arturia's is just okay. So far Cherry Audio CA2600 is the best one I've heard. People say TimewARP is pretty good; I haven't used it.

And by the way…the MS-20 plugin is actually a lot better than most people think. I also thought it was not great until someone convinced me to give it another try. Turns out the key is to completely ignore the knob positions. I have the MS-20 Mini and again, can make the plugin sound very, very close to the hardware…but the knob positions are completely different. This isn't an accident. The filter cutoff knobs have a much larger frequency range in the plugin than the hardware, and the knobs on the hardware are not particularly accurate anyway — for example, the pulse width knob on VCO1 hits 100% at about 65% of the knob's movement range, and does absolutely nothing after that (the oscillator is silent).
Stormchild

Starsky Carr made a comparison, between Korg Odyssey Hardware, Korg Odyssey VST and GMedia Oddity2. My personal problem with this comparison is, besides the Korg Odyssey Hardware is good analog synth, for me it doesn't have the special ARP sound. Just my opinion, of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLn38bATtCE

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 am Starsky Carr made a comparison, between Korg Odyssey Hardware, Korg Odyssey VST and GMedia Oddity2. My personal problem with this comparison is, besides the Korg Odyssey Hardware is good analog synth, for me it doesn't have the special ARP sound. Just my opinion, of course....
Wow. So we have no decent Odyssey emulation from anyone.

teilo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:47 pm
Rastkovic wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 am Starsky Carr made a comparison, between Korg Odyssey Hardware, Korg Odyssey VST and GMedia Oddity2. My personal problem with this comparison is, besides the Korg Odyssey Hardware is good analog synth, for me it doesn't have the special ARP sound. Just my opinion, of course....
Wow. So we have no decent Odyssey emulation from anyone.
Unfortunately, no. *ironyoff* ;)

By far, Oddity2 is my favourite of all ARP emulations. I made some sounds with it today, and it doesn't bad at all. Maybe it was the FX sauce of the presets and some cheesy unison patches, that negatively affected my memories of it.

I've also installed Korg Odyssey VST back again on my system, so I can do my own side by side comparison....

I don't care how authentic it sounds, honestly. I will never own the hardware.

I don't really see the point of these comparisons. I'm sure they are genuinely intended

YMMV

Return to “Instruments”