Validating yourself as a musician in the land of likes and streams

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Given that earning money from streaming is for nearly ALL musicians/(bedroom) producers a race to the bottom not helped by the fact that the relentless supply side of things has vastly oversaturated the (last remains) of the 'market' and keeps doing this with every new musician joining a distributor and cranking out tracks, I was wondering if there are new criteria for validating yourself as a musician.

For most bedroom producers a certain number of streams (YT views included) is likely to be way more important than the actual revenue, but in another discussion on KVR people jokily divulge their recent monthly distro earnings of £0.03p, £0.001 (suggesting a very low number of streams) and I don't think this changes much about how they perceive themselves as musicians.

It seems being a musician is neither dependent on actual revenue or the number of streams (or any other mode of public acknowledgment :? ) and is ultimately an act of self-identification. Is it controversial that I kind of like the number of streams as a criterion to separate the chaff from the wheat? In my defense, I certainly belong to the "chaff" but would consider an x number of streams delightfuly "wheatifying". In other words I would need this extrinsic benchmark before validating myself as a musician and I would use these modern benchmarks to assess your claim to this lofty title... Perhaps you yourself take into consideration the n streams/likes/sales when sizing up your fellow musicians (even on a platform like KVR)?

:dog: PS: I know this subject is a bit more complicated when we focus on performing artists, some of them have virtually zero streams and are not the worse for it. Another benchmark could be the number of actual sales but this seems too limited a measure since almost nobody makes money from that (erm, which could mean it is the best criterion after all?).

what else are you going to call someone who makes music?

sonic arrangement officer?

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm what else are you going to call someone who makes music?

I was hinting at a method or process of validation that goes beyond mere self-ascription, you could think of yourself as a poet, a stud or a witty person on a public forum when in fact you are (most definitely) not! Interesting to see you would automatically call yourself an "officer" of anything!

deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm what else are you going to call someone who makes music?

I was hinting at a method or process of validation that goes beyond mere self-ascription, you could think of yourself as a poet, a stud or a witty person on a public forum when in fact you are (most definitely) not! Interesting to see you would automatically call yourself an "officer" of anything!
interesting to you perhaps ...
to those of us he has beaten about the ears w/ his sonic ' billyclub ' , and
told to move along , move along , not so much ...

i didnt call myself anything, i was talking about musicians :shrug:

my criteria are my own. Other people as validation is a profoundly bad idea for an artist. Learn craft, get yer shit together and develop a way to compare yourself honestly to the rest of the world, don't be that Dunning-Kruger Effect poster child, get to grok the test questions per se rather than assume you have it. And don't be the other side of that coin where you never develop confidence, grasp that it's a process and most of us sucked at it for a bit.

Try to think a little bit less.

hhh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting to see you would automatically call yourself an "officer" of anything!
interesting (not really) you take yourself seriously to the extent you don't recognize a joke.
You're pagro insulting people with confidence in their own valuation quite broadly, isn't it.
Some of us worked a good while developing before we went around calling ourselves anything, and subjected ourselves to a critical environment where no one is coddled or allowed to kid ourselves particularly. FO.

If you can competently perform with your instrument of choice, you are a musician - doesn't matter whether N number of people know about this skill or not. Equally the size of N in social media followers does not reflect on your skills as a musician so much as your ability to market yourself and subjectivity in the listener.

deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm Interesting to see you would automatically call yourself an "officer" of anything!
I describe my profession as computer programmer.
There were some years my employer described it as Development Officer.
That was in the times the cleaning lady was an Interior Care Manager.

I think this fashion is what vurt referred to.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Why do you need to feel validated? :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

BertKoor wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 pm
deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm Interesting to see you would automatically call yourself an "officer" of anything!
I describe my profession as computer programmer.
There were some years my employer described it as Development Officer.
That was in the times the cleaning lady was an Interior Care Manager.

I think this fashion is what vurt referred to.
indeed.

but, i am the official boobs and wallet inspector :)

jancivil wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:12 pm Other people as validation is a profoundly bad idea for an artist.
Indeed.

I do understand (and have struggled with) the other side of the coin... like, if nobody's hearing my stuff, what's the point? However, I feel like music (or whatever you do) should be about self-expression, and for me, it's also therapy. I may not be getting much in the way of monetary compensation or adoration from the public, but it makes me feel good. Not doing it makes me feel bad.

As for "criterion to separate the chaff from the wheat," popularity has never been a great measure of such things.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

exactly.
I've done performances I knew were not great, but...
groupies exist even in classical music and the interest may exceed the music by a_lot

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”