Fret buzz on new electric guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just receive Ibanez s521 and note that fatest two strings have annoying buzz on every fret.
Thin strings are ok,very low action perfect for solos,but first two buzz.
I lift them up a bit to avoid it,but now action is bit high.
Is this normal for brand new Ibanez,it's cheap 366euro model,but still Ibanez?
Haven't play electric over decade,just wonder is this common problem with new guitars?
Cheers:)

It can be many things, not just the action;

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/ab ... fret-buzz/

Sometimes, a little tinkering with the truss rod (ooer missus....) might be all it needs. No expert, but from what you describe doesn't sound like an issue with the frets themselves.

Hopefully, someone better than me at this stuff will chime in shortly!

Careful with truss rod adjustments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ZdiBdFs5Y

Was this instrument bought online?
I'd never buy any music gear without having tried it out in person for exactly this reason.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

can you take a pic of the relief?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Bought from Thomann,the box was sealed so it's directly from factory,which means that this must b standard factory setup.
I watch some videos about cheap s series,some guy was disapointed about same issue playing s671.
Had 500 euro budget,just this model have everything i want :)
Thin strings have little rust here and there,which may be cause of humidity.
Lifting up the strings didn't eliminate entire problem,but make it less audible.
Must be curve of the neck...i guess,there is manual i'm gonna read :)
Same like this,looks better on daylight.
Cheers :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylCoSNaPS2w

Obviously you have to use iZotope RX 8 Guitar de-noise with Ibanez s521 to eliminate buzz and fret noises. :phones:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/ ... noise.html

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:52 am Bought from Thomann,the box was sealed so it's directly from factory,which means that this must b standard factory setup.
Thin strings have little rust here and there,which may be cause of humidity.
"Factory setup" means there's plenty of space for improvement. Always has..

Replace the strings, bring it to some that has done full guitar setups before.

Or send it back under warranty....
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Unless I knew a qualified tech, I'd send it back.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

i have been playing guitar for almost 50 yrs now and most all electrics with decent action (height) setup is going to rattle a bit but it is not audible over amplification. if you only hear it when unplugged it is not a big issue. does the rattle deaden the strings in any way? play each of the strings one by one and play every fretted note all the way from open to whatever (most have 22 or 24 frets) see if any position has a deadened sound (somewhat muted) if so that will at least give you an idea of which fret or frets are giving you problems (higher than the rest). since you stated the strings have a little rust it may have sat a while in storage which would probably need to have the neck adjusted. but also you may just have a high fret or two. most economy electric guitars don't get a great fret dressing. after tuning, string height adjustment and checking the the bow in the neck you still have a deadened note or two you may need to do a fret dressing. (flatten the level of the frets uniformly and have them re-crowned)

there are many videos these days on completely setting up both electric and acoustic guitars. if any work is needed being a $400 guitar i would suggest you do them on your own for the learning process. but if you are in fear of messing it up or you are not comfortable with tools then get someone to do it for you. if this is a brand new guitar within the grace period and you DO have deadened strings (muted or muffled even amplified) then i suggest you send it back and NOT work on it. just get them to exchange it for another. most retailers have a certain period of up to 45 days to return merchandise if not completely satisfied with the product.

cheers and good luck
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

i made like 9-10 adjustments and probably i want too low action,every time i touch truss rod and then bridge height playability is different.
Have 30 days to return it,will see :)

just be sure to retune it each time (put it back under tension) before checking the bow in the neck (truss rod) and as was stated up top... be careful when adjusting truss rod. 1/4 turn either way is plenty. don't overdo it in either direction... go easy and do many small adjustments. just take your time and don't try to rush it. plus let it sit for a while after each adjustment so as to let the wood settle.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

p.s. actually truss rod adjustment does not affect play height... it only SEEMS it does. the bow or bend of the neck is only in the middle of the neck and not near the head nor the foot. string height stays fixed in relation to the nut or head of the neck... or should

cheers

I would always suggest replacing the strings with a new guitar - though I was reasonably impressed with the factory strings that came with my Washburn bass.

MadDogE134 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:36 am just be sure to retune it each time (put it back under tension) before checking the bow in the neck (truss rod) and as was stated up top... be careful when adjusting truss rod. 1/4 turn either way is plenty. don't overdo it in either direction... go easy and do many small adjustments. just take your time and don't try to rush it. plus let it sit for a while after each adjustment so as to let the wood settle.
also get yourself a set of feeler gauges if you haven't already for measurements, eyeing it might seem like a good idea but feeler gauges are far more accurate and you want consistency during this.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Guitars”