[video] Why get a platinum power supply?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/YQ0hsvxFY9Q

Re-uploaded and fixed some color inconsistencies, maybe next time I'll darken the brightest regions slightly too.

The problem with power supplies, it's simply put, in the case of an inefficient power supply (80+): Voltage sag. Avoiding the phenomenon increases hardware's longevity as a whole. During low power consumption is when the efficiency of a psu is the most hindered, like a gas engine throttling while city driving. That is when a PSU is most in-efficient and having to re-buffer through the spreaders (spreading heat) and capacitors (ensuring consistency). This minute delay creates the very phenomenon 'voltage sag' (when power is available yet slightly inadequate due to transience). Since the necessary power is not there for a nanosecond, it puts strain on every affected device.

The crude explanations on youtube don't take into account electrician's skillsets and I wanted to make that right. I took weeks to study, and I explored and began to understand why; so that I could provide a meaningful explanation for you here.

Meaning, while video makers mean well talking of power and curves and thresholds (mostly in the context of gaming and extreme scenarios); what matters most is that your computer can be left on without causing damage to your ssd's, hardware, hdd's etc.

Equally as important a good UPS. I like APC; maybe sine maybe no. I've heard good and bad either way. I'd probably go with a sine unit. Sorry for the wait for this video; I know I'd promised it earlier.

I just wanted to add: After purchasing the Seasonic Focus 650 I'll say that the hybrid function (if you do not push your computer hard) should be left off.

But figuring what was on and off was a challenge. For hybrid to be on you need to depress the button. For it to be off; the button needs to be pressed. It's a bit backwards and that surpised Me because it was a bit warm. I guess when you rarely reach 30% of power consumption it's better to leave the fan on.

During games though I've noticed it being busy, but I rarely do that.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”