Eventide Flashback #7 - The H949 Harmonizer (limited time sale)

Official support for: eventide.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This month we’re taking a look back at the first Intelligent Audio Processor, the H949 Harmonizer®. Introducing the terms "algorithm" and "micropitch" to the audio lexicon, the H949 represented a major advance in the very notion of an effects box. It was able to analyze audio in real-time and make decisions based on that analysis. It was used to create new sounds and to correct pitchy tracks. Among so much more.
Read all about the history of this device in our #50thFlashback blog —> etide.io/H949Blog

Today we add on to the rich history of the H949 harmonizer with part two of our 50th anniversary blog:

Flashback 7.1, “Ding Dong! The Glitch is Dead,” took a deep dive into the technology at the heart of de-glitching pitch change, an advance that made tuning pitchy voices and instruments practical for the first time. Now, let’s return from our ramble down Nerd Boulevard and learn some of the other reasons why so many H910 fans sprung for over $11,000 (in 2021 dollars) to buy an H949 as soon as it hit the market. The H949 greatly expanded the sonic horizon of the simpler H910. The rapid advance of technology made improvements impossible to resist and new features possible to imagine. Plus, we had the benefit of users’ suggestions and pleas.

So New, So Cool

In 1980, Suzanne Ciani demonstrated her “Voice Box, ” which featured an H949, to the amusement and bemusement of David Letterman and his national audience:
https://youtu.be/fZscRHkLMt0

Read all about it here: https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/aagn ... 49-new-one

Today we talk to the famed engineers and artists that used the H949 in part 3 of our blog.

Flashback #7.3: H949 Harmonizer® — Bending, Stretching, and Twisting Time
In the first two parts of the H949 Harmonizer tale, you learned how the H949 built upon the legacy of the H910, offering de-glitched pitch-change for improved accuracy and a bevy of new features. With expanded options like Random delay mode and MicroPitch, the H949 set the standard for faithful, fine-tuned double-tracking emulation and pitch correction, which saved a lot of time in the studio when re-recording was not an option. Even in live sound, a brave engineer could use it to perfect pitch on the spot, in front of a live audience! But beyond being an intelligent pitch-shifting tool, with options like Repeat, Delay, and Flange, artists and engineers could achieve huge, layered sounds that soared to harmonious—or cacophonous—new heights.

The H949 has been a go-to device for engineers on classic songs and albums by the likes of Prince, Frank Zappa, the Ramones, and artists of today like Ty Segall. We reached out to a few of the H949’s devoted users for their take on what has made this box so special, and integral, to their processes for over four decades:

Read the entire blog here: https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/afli ... sting-time

Anyone tried this? Yes, I can demo it for myself, thanks in advance for the advice.

I've reached and surpassed my quota of fx plugs already but this one I've had my eye on for some time but never wanted to buy the full Eventide bundle just to get it, wondering if this is anything special.

I do have the h910 plugin of theirs so idk if this would be redundant or what.

Return to “Eventide”