DAWs and 4k, Pros and Cons

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I kinda can't care less about 4K, since I can't stand to look at 60Hz displays and I'm not going to pay for a 144Hz UHD monitor for music production.

When 144Hz+ UHD displays come down in price, that's when I'll take the plunge.

The 60Hz monitors give me literal headaches looking at them. They are often slow pixel response and I just cannot handle that. The DAW may be fine, but just browsing the web would give me a migraine.

I had to return the OG 13" M1 MBP in 2020 because of this issue. Keeping it meant that I would have to live my life with a constant migraine looking at the display. I can go to Best Buy, look at one for 5 minutes and leave with a headache. I had to take it back and wait for the ProMotion (14"/16" M1 Pro/Max) models to get one.

I had the same issue with the iMac IPS displays they used. The combination of slow pixel response and PWM for brightness management meant that I had to use it with sunshades, and 300/365 days out of the year I had some sort of chronic headache - unless I used an external display instead of the built-in screen.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Oh wow! You born in the future!

Less than 266Hz and 0.1 ms response is a trash monitor, not worth looking at! We are talking COD music making baby. Fast action composing ;)

Trensharo wrote: ↑Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:06 am
:cry: what the what?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: ↑Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 pm
Trensharo wrote: ↑Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:06 am
:cry: what the what?
When you've spent years looking at fast high refresh rate monitors, the slow pixel response (motion blurring), screen tearing, etc. on slow 60Hz monitors is pretty terrible. You can't go back.

And sensitivity to displays that use PWM for brightness management is a real thing. The screen manages brightness by going between bright and dim really quickly. For some people, their pupils dilate and are then blasted with bright light. It causes headaches.

You can do a quick google search and there are lists of Laptops and Displays that don't use PWM for people who have sensitivity to it. I can't look at teh Retina Screen on the 13" MBP for more than 5 minutes before my eyes and head start to hurt, and I had the same issue with iPads and iMacs that used Apple's IPS displays (along with various PCs) - particularly those with a glossy finish.

The Mini LED Displays on the 14/16" MBPs don't cause this.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Anyway, as a feedback after these years, for me as "non-sensitive" person to low refresh rate, I still love my 27" 4k Dell monitor and have 0 regrets in buying it after these years.
I use it for gaming, watching videos and movies, working with database/spreadsheet, browsing the net, reading manuals and books and of course making music :)

I use mainly Ableton Live (and sometimes Cubase) with both Windows and Ventura (Logic also). I prefer my mini mac for music making because I use also FM8, Absynth and Massive and they look less pixelated with Mac OS. Also, I have a better performance in audio.

The monitor is scaled 150% on both systems and looks and feels very comfortable to my eyes as I spend at least 8 hours (normally about 10). I don't see myself replacing it soon as it's a perfect size for my desk. A 32" of the same model would be also great πŸ‘

Return to β€œHosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”