Splitting chord notes into individual midi channels - Midipolyphony vst

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I'm a new newbie to RC.

Several threads here have mentioned splitting output of chord generator notes into individual instruments. Searched here for MidiPolyphony, no results so posted this new thread.

An old vst MidiPolyphony accomplishes this in realtime on Win.

Basic setup
RC on instrument track in daw.
Midipolyphony on instrument track in daw with input set to RC chord generator track output channel.
Multiple sound instrument tracks in daw with each input set to unique MidiPolyphony output track.

Arm input echo on these instruments.

Link to detailed thread, read thru all to get my current preferred Midipolyphony config.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ent-256457 (https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/31575-splitting-chord-notes-into-separate-tracks-an-old-vst-makes-it-pretty-easy-works-in-realtime/&tab=comments#comment-256457)

Hi Steve,

welcome to this forum, and thank you for your first very informative post! :tu:
I am planning to implement this useful functionality in RapidComposer, there have been several requests about it.
The user could set up either note ranges or just send all notes to different tracks, which would allow using not just different MIDI channels, but different virtual instruments for each note.

Now that the UI hardware acceleration looks promising (which I spent lots of time recently with...), soon new features will be added more quickly.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

If you use Logic Pro X, it can already do that.

Venomode’s Phrasebox is useful for doing this and has an extra trick up it’s sleeve: you can set it to ensure that up to 8 notes are generated from each chord and then send each of the notes to a different midi channel. Phrasebox generates the additional notes by simply repeating the chord notes in higher octaves. Using this, you can ensure that you are always generating a specific number of midi voices independently of whether the chord has 3,4 or 5 notes.

I use this in Cubase. Once you have generated the multiple voices from the chord on different midi channels, you can then use the note limit function to direct each voice to be within a specific range on the keyboard, so you know you will always be in the preferred range for a specific instrument.

And of course you get access to all of Phrasebox’s generating features too.

I have been in touch with Davide (Scaler 2 developer) on their forum and he says that control of chord divisi is something they are working on.

I agree it would be great to have functionality for chord orchestration built directly into Rapid Composer. Given that RC also has more ‘intelligence’ than the workaround suggested above, that could also allow for some of the lines in a chord progression to be continuous when a note occurs in two successive chords, rather than broken as the chord changes, which would be another step forward.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”