Cherry Audio Releases Mercury-4 Compuphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mercury-4 Polyphonic Synthesizer

wwjd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm last time I used UVI thing it was such a major PITA I removed even the demo version of whatever it was. guess I'm not fond of jumping through loading hoops and limits of sample based things. maybe its gotten better since I used it?

anyway, the mercury 4 loads fast, works, if fun to play with and sounds great. without all the install weight of uvi
The install weight (over 200 gigs for VV) is a pain, but that's the price you pay for the superb quality of the sounds. If I need a truck, I can't complain that it takes up space in my driveway. :shrug:

If you haven't tried Vintage Vault in a while, give it another shot - on a decent system with an SSD, the plugins load very quickly.

Did you even notice you are in the MERCURY 4 thread? Maybe make your own separate post to pedal UVI junk :D

wwjd wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:51 am Did you even notice you are in the MERCURY 4 thread? Maybe make your own separate post to pedal UVI junk :D
I wouldn't know how to "pedal" synths if I tried. And I'm not peddling them either. Don't have a dog in this fight. Just giving an honest assessment of where Mercury-4 stands relative to the competition. If my words are wasted on you, and you want to stick your head in the sand, you can do that.

I think the discussion about Saturn vs Mercury or rompler vs emulation is valuable. I can't test it myself though. And as I am not interested in buying expensive preset packs anyway I am not convinced at all, that sampling is even an option.
If I want to sample a dco of a four octave hardware synth, there is no need to deep sample it and produce GB of sample space. If they just sample the oscillators, and model the filters and the rest, it would be much less and it would be a modelled synth... They could of course model the filter with impulse responses which would as well eat sample space as those responses are like samples and would need way more sampling than the oscillators.
To deep sample a bunch of useful presets of the hardware of course would sound as close to the original as it can. But you would not be able to open the filter of a sampled filtered sound even a tiny bit. You just have a bunch of presets which eat lots of space and memory. Its cheap in terms of CPU though... You can tweak those with additional filters and envelopes as any sampler usually can do, and thats it... If you are happy with those limitations and don't consider the sound design aspect important, go for it...
I get for $ 39 a complete universe, you get for $ 200 a limited collection of sounds of 3 synths...

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:53 am
I get for $ 39 a complete universe, you get for $ 200 a limited collection of sounds of 3 synths...
A lot of work goes into sampling and when it is the only choice I can understand.
But a modelled Synth based on good math offers far more flexibility or at least should do.
Not sure about the complete Universe analogy though, that is a bit of a stretch :)
Given no one knows what the Universe actually is.

i do.

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 pmi do.
Ok vurt give it your best shot :D

Norqa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 pmi do.
Ok vurt give it your best shot :D
unfortunately, you humans don't have the language to understand.

but, in layman's terms, custard.

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm

unfortunately, you humans don't have the language to understand.

In a Multiverse custard is one possibility. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY

Norqa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:53 am
A lot of work goes into sampling and when it is the only choice I can understand.
But a modelled Synth based on good math offers far more flexibility or at least should do.
Not sure about the complete Universe analogy though, that is a bit of a stretch :)
Given no one knows what the Universe actually is.
Sampling a synth can be completely automated... Little work, much time, at least as long the synth understands Midi...
And the synth delivers a universe, not the (our) universe... Look at each parameter as one dimension and you get the dimensionality of that synth universe. Could be as overwhelming as our universe...

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm unfortunately, you humans don't have the language to understand.

So Triangle and Robert was right all along.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:23 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm unfortunately, you humans don't have the language to understand.

So Triangle and Robert was right all along.
about so many things besides.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm
Sampling a synth can be completely automated
Yes Fruity has an automated process that multi-samples a Synth. A bit like SampleRobot.
Not sure how much work or code went into those things?
As you say you just have a bunch of presets which eat lots of space and memory.

Any sampled synth will sound better compared to cherry , that's a universal constant !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:12 am Any sampled synth will sound better compared to cherry , that's a universal constant !
Not better, but closer to the original - Except that the tiny variations are always the same for the same key. Not sure if that is closer or not...
And as soon you tweak the sound or create from scratch its certainly different...

Return to “Instruments”