Macbook Pro M1, Air M1, Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I'm planning to buy any of these models:

Macbook Pro M1
Macbook Air M1
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air

16 GB and 512 GB SSD.

Which of these models have highest possibility to have least compatibility issues with plugins and also work with older plugins?

Which of these are most suitable for Logic Pro?

Before you contemplate any of the new M1:s, you might want to Google "m1 screen issues".

I'd wait until the next generation of Apple silicon machines.

Just sayin'…
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Older Intel ones logically...

Would any newer macbook Air with Intel or macbook pro with Intel chips and no M1 be reasonably fair to assume they should work with older plugins?

Yes, Intel ones should be safer bet, but it's macOS, you can't expect Windows level of support of legacy plug-ins, but again, Intel is safer bet than Apple Silicon in that regard. If you only need support for Dune 1, it works on Apple Silicon, so buy whatever makes most sense in some other sense, like actual speed, CPU throttling, battery life and etc.

M1 is same chip, Air, Pro, Mini, it's same thing, also Intel, if it works on Air, it works on Pro, it works on Mini, it works on iMac and vice versa.

none. the iphone 14 was released before the iphone 13 was even announced, and europe is about to force them to release a new line of computers in a minute. apple is at it's lowest point since pre jobs, and i have been using apple my whole life. tim cook is a pig headed, greed consumed, arrogant ass. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... ssion=true

Spitfire31 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm Before you contemplate any of the new M1:s, you might want to Google "m1 screen issues".

I'd wait until the next generation of Apple silicon machines.

Just sayin'…
Thanks for this. Did not know this.

I have 5 friends/family members with M1 MacBooks, I have one myself, and no screen issues. I also work in a place that repairs them and haven’t seen anyone come in about that yet. I’m not saying people aren’t having legitimate problems, but I’d be cautious about drawing broad conclusions without knowing what the actual failure rates really are because the internet makes it really easy to blow things out of proportion.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:36 pm Yes, Intel ones should be safer bet, but it's macOS, you can't expect Windows level of support of legacy plug-ins, but again, Intel is safer bet than Apple Silicon in that regard. If you only need support for Dune 1, it works on Apple Silicon.
Everything “works on Apple Silicon” except for older 32-bit plugins, but even on Intel they haven’t been supported on any new system shipping with Catalina or later for several years now. There are far more plugins and DAWs already running native on M1 than just Dune 1. The most comprehensive list is right here on KvR: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=556728

1. He asked what is more safer bet
2. He asked about that Dune in 10 threads already
3. Check OP’s posting history

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 pm 1. He asked what is more safer bet
2. He asked about that Dune in 10 threads already
3. Check OP’s posting history
Fair enough, but it’s a useful reference in threads like these for making a more informed purchase decision since many still aren’t aware of the current transition progress and may erroneously think the M1 MacBooks can’t run their software. If legacy compatibility is of utmost concern then the OP should find a used Intel Mac on eBay that can still run Mojave for 32-bit support. For anyone else who’s not a working professional running ProTools, buying a new one is not a “safe bet”, it’s a dead-end investment with far worse performance, poor battery life and lap scorching heat with irritating fan noise.

Agree, pretty much said the same few posts up…

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:55 pm none. the iphone 14 was released before the iphone 13 was even announced, and europe is about to force them to release a new line of computers in a minute. apple is at it's lowest point since pre jobs, and i have been using apple my whole life. tim cook is a pig headed, greed consumed, arrogant ass. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... ssion=true
The amount of conspiratorial misinformation here is impressive. iPhone 14 was never “announced” by anyone save for pontificating supply chain leakers trying to guess future products (and are frequently wrong). The EU’s pressuring of tech companies to standardize on a unified cable connector will not impact the Mac since Apple already standardized on UBC-C back in 2016. It could impact the iPhone though, pressuring them to phase out the lightning port, but this will take several years because manufacturers don’t turn on a dime. If you read your own linked article you’ll see that it’s still just a proposal which hasn’t yet been adopted and if it passes there will still be 24 months for manufacturers to comply. Maybe ease up on the FUD a bit, bro.

I checked with Synape support and they claimed Dune 1 seemed to work ok on M1 and Big Sur. But they could not guarantee it since they have not tested it further.

If anyone can do me a favour and test if latest legacy Dune 1 works on M1 machine as well then i can get a second option if it works so i can buy a M1.

here is the demo

https://www.synapse-audio.com/demos/dunedemo.dmg

Start reading your own threads
viewtopic.php?p=8161683#p8161683

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”