Reason price hike starting October 1st

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm
VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pmI see the rental costs 20 USD a month. Thats 240 USD a year. Were you paying more than that with the yearly upgrade fee?
Notice that R+ also includes all REs ever released by Props/RS and every one they will release during the time you're subscribing ( + the soundpacks, obviously).

I'm not saying it's a great deal, but it's much more than just new Reason version.
Ah that's interesting. I thought Reason full version came with all the Props modules, it used to many years ago. So that's something.

VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:36 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm
VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am After 20+ years of using Reason and Rebirth 338 before that and paying yearly fees for updates, I have switched to subscription now.
It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year.
Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.
I see the rental costs 20 USD a month. Thats 240 USD a year. Were you paying more than that with the yearly upgrade fee?
That’s not the point- See my most above 😉
Btw; Yes I’m happy to be subscription user of Reason now. I’m also happy as subscription user of Roland and Protools
I'm not arguing you, I'm just trying to understand the math.

240 x 11 = 2640 had you subbed those 11 years instead of paying 100 dollars to upgrade each year, which would be 1100 USD. So you're paying twice now it seems?

Now everyone pays 240 USD per year to upgrade (be if it hey are on the subscription), which is half the cost of the full version. So nothing really has changed from a discount standpoint between versions yes? Because now everyone subscribing is paying the same rate. Regardless if they were long term users of Reason or just discovered the software today.
Please don’t forget that subscription users get everything for “free” - all new soundpacks, new instruments and everything else.
Upgrade users get only Reason core updates

I just noticed that Reason+ is priced at 19.99 per month whichever country you live in. How come ?

So in in the UK its £19.99 which is equivalent at todays exchange rate to $27.12 or €23.37. Which means that if a UK resident was allowed to pay in dollars it would cost just $14.73 - and in euros it would be €17.09.

So Reason+ software in the UK is significantly more. Why ? Or am I just dense and missing something ?

VitaminD wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:37 pmAh that's interesting. I thought Reason full version came with all the Props modules, it used to many years ago. So that's something.
Since Rack Extensions (RE) were added around 2014 there were always REs from Props that were not part of Reason, but you could buy them in the shop. Reason 11 Suite was a one-off action to package all of them together, but there's no Suite anymore for 12 - Reason+ tool its place.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It sounds good in theory to get everything for the same subscription price, but what happens if everyone takes it out ?

Sure, for a while a company will be pleased that they have such a good monthly income. But after a while they will realise that they have maxed out there entire revenue stream with no way to increase profits. Then they will have to think up new money making schemes. Meanwhile the natives will get restless without there constant update fixes, and so the company will have a static revenue stream and will have to keep adding more stuff for nowt.

So what will they do under those circumstances ?

Diversify, and syphon off revenue into something new. And guess what happens to the nice little regular earner ? it gets neglected in favour of bigger and better money making ideas.

The best laid schemes of mice and men.

dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:58 pm...So what will they do under those circumstances?

Diversify, and syphon off revenue into something new. And guess what happens to the nice little regular earner? it gets neglected in favour of bigger and better money making ideas...
I'm not sure I understand that particular concern? Provided they'd continue - or even speed up - the development of the DAW, Rack Plugin and their own devices, I'm sure people would continue to subscribe and new ones would come in, as the pool of features & devices they get access to would grow. Also people with perpetual licenses would buy upgrades (incl. new DAW versions and Rack Plugin) and could buy individual devices in the shop.

All of it hinges however on RS continuing active development. But that's not exclusive to them - that's what everyone is expected to do.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

When Reason 12 came our, I spent the money on an Arturia V6 upgrade. Blackmailing me with this stunt, I spent additional cash on PA Thorn and Stage for my Audacity during PA’s sale. Both of them are already in use. It feels quite good. Much more bang for the bucks. Fortunately Reason has long passed the days of being a closed system. My VSTis all work fine in Reason. Maybe I will start a Reason Cult for non-subscribers who never made it past Reason 11 :hihi:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am After 20+ years of using Reason and Rebirth 338 before that and paying yearly fees for updates, I have switched to subscription now.
It always bothered me that the upgrade price was the same for users of version 1 to version X, as it was for users upgrading every year.
Love the new subscription model and hope more developers will jump on subscription bandwagon.
From a marketing perspective, it's confusing to offer different upgrades for every different version. Customer support is a lot lower and customer satisfaction is a lot higher with the current scenario.

I would never have bought the upgrade to 11 if it was more expensive because I owned 2.5 at the time. I burned out on Reason and rewiring it in to DP/Logic after getting Komplete, Reaktor just was more fun at the time. Now, I think Reason is a great Rompler and plug in collection, and if you compare it to others it's not prohibitively expensive. I don't expect to have to upgrade it every time they release a new version and I really appreciate the jump in and out when you want to aspect of their upgrade model, MOTU do the same thing with DP and in both cases it allowed me to got back to the well, when I might have not.

I don't care at all for subscription models, whether it's online magazines, DAWs, plug in collections, I would rather own as much as is possible, the software outright.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:52 am I don't expect to have to upgrade it every time they release a new version and I really appreciate the jump in and out when you want to aspect of their upgrade model
Agreed. This rule can be applied to every company. I know working engineers with platinums and grammys who still use the 10 year old Pro Tools 10.

I went to the website, front page says it's £129 for the upgrade, another page says £199. The stark reality of just how much they are asking when you see it in black and white now hits home. That's £1000 in 5 years if you continue to upgrade each year at that rate. I think this is going to make Reason harder to sell second hand as well...

Anyone know if that free/Lite version can be used offline within your DAW without the internet, or does it require it to connect an online server to work ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:13 am Anyone know if that free/Lite version can be used offline within your DAW without the internet, or does it require it to connect an online server to work ?
Reason 11 Lite can be used offline with Codemeter.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/authorization

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:13 am Anyone know if that free/Lite version can be used offline within your DAW without the internet, or does it require it to connect an online server to work ?
If you can be online at least once, you can authorize your computer through your user account and then use it without the internet. Naturally, if you're using a trial of any of the rack extensions, you'll have to sign in for those.

[edit] as explained by Lotuz2019. Damn I type slow ;)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:13 am I went to the website, front page says it's £129 for the upgrade, another page says £199. The stark reality of just how much they are asking when you see it in black and white now hits home. That's £1000 in 5 years if you continue to upgrade each year at that rate. I think this is going to make Reason harder to sell second hand as well...

Anyone know if that free/Lite version can be used offline within your DAW without the internet, or does it require it to connect an online server to work ?
Reason 11 came out two years ago... it's not upgraded yearly or it would be on Reason 19 by now.

dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:44 pm I just noticed that Reason+ is priced at 19.99 per month whichever country you live in. How come ?

So in in the UK its £19.99 which is equivalent at todays exchange rate to $27.12 or €23.37. Which means that if a UK resident was allowed to pay in dollars it would cost just $14.73 - and in euros it would be €17.09.

So Reason+ software in the UK is significantly more. Why ? Or am I just dense and missing something ?
Just buy the subscription from JJR etc in USD you can still use it in the UK and you save a fortune….
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”