Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I doubt you will be happy even if someone did that videos, but in Logic, you will still need evidence how Live or Cubase works, so good luck with that.

Well more informally, what are people choosing, and why?
For example, this person clearly has a monitor setup, but got a 16” Max anyway, and I’m not sure why: https://youtu.be/H3BGFWoqA9E

I can at least speak to the M1 MBP. I’ve never once in 10 months heard the fan spin up in audio applications, regardless of project size. DAWs do not saturate all of the CPU & GPU cores in the way benchmarks, 3D rendering or encoding do. I wouldn’t worry about it for music. I haven’t seen a single music production video about the 14”/16” that complains about fan noise. The fans are either off or inaudibly idle.

That makes sense. It’s just that I guess for the Max/14” combination you might get more heat.
I’ve also heard that the wattage is limited on 14”, which hurts some performance.
It’s probably not going to affect much, though Xcode/coding/compiling/graphics are perhaps another story.

Tronam wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:11 pm I can at least speak to the M1 MBP. I’ve never once in 10 months heard the fan spin up in audio applications, regardless of project size. DAWs do not saturate all of the CPU & GPU cores in the way benchmarks, 3D rendering or encoding do. I wouldn’t worry about it for music. I haven’t seen a single music production video about the 14”/16” that complains about fan noise. The fans are either off or inaudibly idle.
That's also my experience.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Check this forum for Ableton Live 11.1 performance: https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 3BA41FA%7D

Oh I don’t have access to that. I was only using Ableton for an example. I do actually use Cubase.

Performance will differ from DAW to DAW based on architecture and optimalisation… be aware that Cubase is not Apple Silicon native yet AFAIK

Right, but we can assume it’ll be better relative to the performance of both machines, I suppose.
There will be native performance in Cubase 12: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-1 ... 022/748776 *but only for vst3, which is fine because all my plugins have updated already.

I guess another question is—is the 14” that much more portable and usable weight and ergonomics-wise? I’d think you’d need more space to see both daw projects and code windows better anyway.

I guess that’ll depend on how often one plans to work on the laptop alone. If it’s going to be attached to an external display 90% of the time, then go 14” for the mobility. With a miniLED display this good I want the biggest screen possible, which is partly why I ordered the 16”. I also find Logic a bit cramped on the smaller screens.

There’s something to be said about the fans and thermals ptobably being better on the larger device, and even if tethered to the monitor you can get a nice secondary momitor for the mix console.

It’s kind of obvious that I want the 16” but am hesitant considering it will probably be very hard to carry or use in laptop position or ergonomicslly. The 16” really seems more like a portable desktop you can move between rooms as opposed to something you can travel far with.
I could be wrong though.

I wonder whether the choice will be more obvious when the M2 Pro/Maxes become a thing.

synchronizer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 pm There’s something to be said about the fans and thermals ptobably being better on the larger device, and even if tethered to the monitor you can get a nice secondary momitor for the mix console.

It’s kind of obvious that I want the 16” but am hesitant considering it will probably be very hard to carry or use in laptop position or ergonomicslly. The 16” really seems more like a portable desktop you can move between rooms as opposed to something you can travel far with.
I could be wrong though.

I wonder whether the choice will be more obvious when the M2 Pro/Maxes become a thing.
I've traveled all over with my previous 16" MBP... I've got the new 16" in front of me.

Never had any trouble traveling, via bike, public transport, airplane. On airplanes it has always fit under seats and overhead compartments. It fits in my backpack with a Linnstrument, mic, headphones and Babyface Pro. I've biked all around the city with that setup.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:04 pm
synchronizer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 pm There’s something to be said about the fans and thermals ptobably being better on the larger device, and even if tethered to the monitor you can get a nice secondary momitor for the mix console.

I could be wrong though.

I've traveled all over with my previous 16" MBP... I've got the new 16" in front of me.

Never had any trouble traveling, via bike, public transport, airplane. On airplanes it has always fit under seats and overhead compartments. It fits in my backpack with a Linnstrument, mic, headphones and Babyface Pro. I've biked all around the city with that setup.
—but on foot?

synchronizer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:04 pm

—but on foot?
yup :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”