Average number of track.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My typical dance track varies, but some combination of:
6-10 individual drum tracks > Drums buss
2-8 percussion tracks > Perc bus
4-8 FX tracks > FX bus
2-4 bass tracks > Bass bus
4-20 synth tracks > Synths bus
2-4 guitar tracks > Guitar bus
2-8 lead vox tracks > Vox bus
4-12 background vox tracks > BG Vox bus
2-4 Reverb aux tracks
2-4 Delay aux tracks

I’m usually on the low end of each of those track counts (i.e., in the 20s), but occasionally one or two groups (e.g., vocals and bass) will be on the high end. My main template is set up like this with everything pre-routed, in folders, and with pre-assigned colors for each grouping, so it’s easy to get a song idea started and stay organized from the get-go.
Last edited by cryophonik on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Between 20 and 50 active tracks, not including tracks that might be muted because they were rendered to audio or groups (but I only do that when I'm using my hardware or applying special effects that need an audio file).

I try to have audio files on their own tracks whenever possible. Very rarely do I put different samples on the same track, if then only for simple/similar drum sounds or transition effects.
I never bounce VST instruments to audio. But what I do when the song is done, I render each track as its own audio into my Stem folder (it's pretty easy to do in Cubase). This is part of "cleaning up" and "archiving" for me ;)

harryupbabble wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:14 pm quartets (beatles, led zeppelin, ccr, doors, kinks, metallica, queen, who, ramones, sex pistols, etc)
Beatles were a quintet and Sex Pistols were a trio.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I am always between 8-10 tracks when producing now. Simple, to the point, and if a beat sells I can edit/add bits around the artist if needed.

About 50.

There might be less actual instruments tracks, but then there are groups, MIDI feeds (for Stutter Edit and such) and audio recording tracks that store multiple one-shots, randomized sounds or live performance.

Also I have a fixed set of 7 buses for instrument groups, with all the common processing utilities (sidechain, reverb, compression etc.)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

One million.

Yes, 2 trax here as well...

0x10

used to do more(percussion trax in particular)
my current template is 8-track & if doing a song w/vocals, that number might creep up to 12ish depending on if/how many "background" voc voices
my workflow these days = less is more
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

vurt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:44 pm2.
Mmmmerppp. wrong answer. The "average number of track" is, by definition, one.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Usually between 10-12 tracks per beat.

I used to use lots of instrumentation, but nobody is interested in buying complicated music. When I get down to 8-10 tracks my music will probably sound even better.

I've said 15 and looking at the latest having 49... heheh :sweatfromforehead:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

jamcat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 am
harryupbabble wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:14 pm quartets (beatles, led zeppelin, ccr, doors, kinks, metallica, queen, who, ramones, sex pistols, etc)
Not sure which reality that post belongs in. Certainly not this one...

kritikon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 am
Not sure which reality that post belongs in. Certainly not this one...
The Beatles had a 5th member: Sir George Martin.
The Sex Pistols had a non-member: Sid Vicious.

The Beatles' albums were recorded with all 5 members performing.
The Sex Pistols' album was recorded with only 3 members performing.
Steve Jones played all the guitars and bass.

None of this is esoteric knowledge.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Production Techniques”