VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fireapplered wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:50 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:31 pm Don't forget Cardinal. It extends Rack with many of the features of Pro, including the plugin wrapper, and current builds are M1 native. Not sure how it supports the 3rd party modules. It comes with a bunch preinstalled. I'm betting individual devs would need to recompile for M1 support.
Do you have to build this yourself? Can't see anything to open in the downloadable zip file.
No but the download wasn't obvious to me. You have to login to GitHub before the actual downloads are clickable (files at the bottom of an Actions page).

GaryG wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:28 pm
fireapplered wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:50 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:31 pm Don't forget Cardinal. It extends Rack with many of the features of Pro, including the plugin wrapper, and current builds are M1 native. Not sure how it supports the 3rd party modules. It comes with a bunch preinstalled. I'm betting individual devs would need to recompile for M1 support.
Do you have to build this yourself? Can't see anything to open in the downloadable zip file.
No but the download wasn't obvious to me. You have to login to GitHub before the actual downloads are clickable (files at the bottom of an Actions page).
Ah, ok. Thanks, Gary.

Found a cool use for VCV as a plugin:

MIDI aftertouch -> VCA input
MIDI gate -> slew -> VCA CV (adjust slew to taste)
VCA out -> MIDI mod wheel

Then place Aalto or Arturia Easel after VCV, and assign the mod wheel to open the LPG. Now you can control it with MIDI pressure, but not have stuck notes after all keys are released.

(You can also slew the aftertouch too, to smooth it out if you have something like a Microfreak where it's pretty jumpy.)

Likewise, I've managed to control Easel with my Make Noise 0-Ctrl through Tesseract Sweet 16. The Pitch row comes in on MIDI CC 32 and Pressure on CC 33, so I patched VCV to translate them. The default "smooth CC" option tends to make pitch go through a sort of steppy glissando which can be cool and/or annoying depending on what you're looking for :)

(FWIW, even though my audio inputs are AC-coupled and I can't directly use CV that way, I have excellent results using CV to control the pitch of a VCO, then "demodulating" that in Bitwig Grid with the zero crossing to pitch module... this works more smoothly than sending pitch via MIDI. It'd be cool if there was a similar audio-to-pitch CV module for VCV, but the PLL module that's in the library was pretty disappointing... maybe I will try to patch a PLL myself like I do in Eurorack.)

Ugh... price went up right during checkout. Now i have to make peace with full price :)
>> Sounds of making peace
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

valley terrorform and dexter :love:

Has somebody tried VCV Rack Pro in Logic Pro as AU component?
Does it run smoothly?

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:01 pm Has somebody tried VCV Rack Pro in Logic Pro as AU component?
Does it run smoothly?
for me it does. on apple silicon, monterey 12.6. the latest version runs via the auhost compatilbilty app. on intel systems it should work w/o that of course and be fine.

Waited for the AU and then when it came out, it was $30 more on sale than when the VST versions were released. I would have bought it...

Synthient Sound wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:11 am Waited for the AU and then when it came out, it was $30 more on sale than when the VST versions were released. I would have bought it...
when it came out as "pro/vst" was that an introductory offer or something? i can't remember

It was $99 as I recall on sale, but I didn't want to invest as sometimes promises are broken. If they didn't for some reason make it AU, it would be of no worth for me. Not worth the $99 gamble. When it did finally update to AU, it was on sale for $129...which felt kind of crappy for us AU users.

I'm bummed, but have moved on and use other stuff. Would consider still if they did the $99 deal for AU, same as the original offer for the VST version when it came out. And yes, (for whomever would raise such a complaint), I do understand it was on sale for $129 for all versions recently. There just was never a time for VCVRack Pro to be $99 for us who exclusively use AU/Logic.

Hope there will be an attractive sale in the course of this year.
149 pinkies are a bit tough for an impulse buy.
Especially because it seems to be a rabbit hole with all these interesting but to be paid for modules.

You could still use the free Cardinal if you don‘t want to support the VCV development directly. Its even out of sale cheap enough for everybody…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 am You could still use the free Cardinal if you don‘t want to support the VCV development directly. Its even out of sale cheap enough for everybody…
Dude, this is a forum where people bitch about $20 plugins.

masterhiggins wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 am You could still use the free Cardinal if you don‘t want to support the VCV development directly. Its even out of sale cheap enough for everybody…
Dude, this is a forum where people bitch about $20 plugins.
So true! I love it when people will suffer without something and constantly complain rather than just spend $$ and enjoy their life 🤡

Return to “Instruments”