Modartt updates Pianoteq to v7.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Pro 8 Pianoteq Stage 8

Modartt has updated Pianoteq to v7.5 which offers improvements to the sound of several grand piano models including Steinway D, Steinway B, Steingraeber E-272, Bluethner Model One, C. Bechstein DG, Ant. Petrof 275 and Petrof 284 Mistral.

The update also introduces a new dampening feature, using mallets as dampers while using the sustain pedal. This feature is often used when playing chromatic percussions, e.g. vibraphone, but can in fact be used with all Pianoteq instruments.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/modartt-u ... v7-5-53704
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

They did a felt pedal, and now mallet dampening pedal. Next, I'm hoping they add a Mandolin Rail pedal that can be used on any model. The Mandolin Rail is particularly historically important to the development of ragtime and early 20th century black music in America.

A Wing & Son piano model to go with it would be spectacular.
https://youtu.be/WDcisWKsCOw
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great news.

Mandolin Rail would be great!
I've also been hoping for a more true una corda across the board that actually changes the number of strings the GUI keyboard shift implies. Right now, it seems like just a half-action reducing volume more than timbre.
Wonder next pianos they'll add as well.
Maybe Fazoli, Baldwin or ?

Otherwise continually happy with their updates here.

BBFG# wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:14 pm Mandolin Rail would be great!
I've also been hoping for a more true una corda across the board that actually changes the number of strings the GUI keyboard shift implies. Right now, it seems like just a half-action reducing volume more than timbre.
Wonder next pianos they'll add as well.
Maybe Fazoli, Baldwin or ?

Otherwise continually happy with their updates here.
I don't understand why they have never done a modern Bösendorfer Imperial Grand. Unless the K2 is secretly supposed to be one.

It’s been over a year since the Felt presets were added (7.4), and nearly 18 months since the last new model (PETROF 284 Mistral) was released.

It’s hard to believe, but we’re just 2 months away from Pianoteq 7 being 2 years old.

Modartt had been hitting on all cylinders for a few years with 2 or 3 new packs a year, but they seem to have slowed considerably over the past couple years.

There was talk of a major Organteq update (v2) late last year, I believe, but that has so far not materialized.

I wonder what they’ve been up to.

Yeah the Organteq 2 is interesting. I hope it arrives.

But as with anything modelled it takes an unbelievably long time for new products or updates. It's the nature of the way the instruments are developed they are not canned they are lively animated flexible and disk space RAM saving wonders of modern virtual instruments.

...Please wait...
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Is pianoteq MPE compatible?

simmo75 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:43 am Is pianoteq MPE compatible?
Not pointless, but relatively close to it considering what its strengths are known for.

I'd rather they not get distracted with that and keep developing the engine and adding models.

MIDI Polyphonic Expression isn't really useful for a piano instrument. Also, MPE is still MIDI 1.0.

Pianoteq will benefit greatly from the expanded velocity resolution of MIDI 2.0.
But MPE, not so much.

simmo75 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:43 am Is pianoteq MPE compatible?
It does support poly aftertouch

Pianoteq does actually support polyphonic (per channel) pitch bend, which I do find very useful - not so much for recognizably piano-ish sounds, but definitely for more unusual/extreme settings and morphs. The architecture doesn't seem set up to dynamically modify parameters after a note has been pressed, so there's nothing much one can do with aftertouch. Strangely, it hasn't really occurred to me to try mapping anything to timbre/cc74, but it seems like at least in theory you could use the initial timbre value when the note is struck to modulate some parameters.

jamcat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:21 am Pianoteq will benefit greatly from the expanded velocity resolution of MIDI 2.0.
I don't wish to get into an argument and I'll eventually be glad to reconsider, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on that.

For instantaneous input values such as velocity, I'm not so sure there's going to be a tangible difference between 7-bit and 32-bit resolution; as outrageous as it might sound.
I don't even think the vast majority of listeners — including musicians — could confidently tell contiguous values apart in the 128-step range (e.g. pointing out which is which, between 73 and 74 note velocity on Pianoteq), let alone for the 1/billionth or even 1/thousandth increment...

Completely different matter and set of benefits for continuous input values, where it's fairly easy to hear the discrete increments between the 1/128th steps, particularly on very slow knob/fader motions.

I'll be happy to change my mind when MIDI 2.0 becomes effectively and finally available.
Actually, although skeptical, I'd be more curious to test "32-bit velocity" on the dynamic range of virtual drums, before the virtual piano.

Pianoteq already supports the high-res velocity extension in MIDI 1.0 (which gives you 14-bit velocity, so 16384 steps), certain digital pianos support that. The difference is really not a life changing super noticeable thing...

Thanks guys, I agree for standard piano sounds, MPE isn’t necessary but, I really enjoy creating pads and the morphing function, I think it would be excellent for MPE.

Return to “Instruments”