2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an Elektron Rytm MKII and a RYTM MKI... I may sell the MKI and get a second MKII for muscle memory ease. I definitely want the 2 Rytm's.

I ordered an E352 Cloud Terrarium almost a year ago and it still has not arrived. So I expect it will in 2022.

I am very happy with my gear. Mostly I expect to sell some stuff in 2022. And of course if something irresistible is released, I hereby authorize myself to buy it :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:14 pm
Azbest wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:45 am Hairball Audio 1176 DYI. I know next to nothing about electronics, but it comes with detailed construction manual... I'll probably fck it up anyway, but learning how to build a unit like that makes me stupidly excited, so I'll try it anyway. :hihi:
I built a pair of FET500s and they sound fantastic. So much character! The build is a little challenging. Lining up the LEDs was a bit of a struggle. But it was a very rewarding build. Their preamps are also top-notch.
Cool, you think it's a good starting build for a DIY novice? How long did it take you to finish it?

Well, if I get any more stuff I'm gonna need another stand...
I am contemplating getting one of the Elektron boxes, but which one!
Definitely want a Fusion Box, it would pair well with Pro3 or the Q.S. If I get another synth, I would go big, like the Hydrasynth Deluxe -again need another stand. I am starting to look. :borg:

After years of inactivity in my music life I’ve decided to get back at it. My goal is to use American musical supply to acquire a number of things since I play guitar mostly but I also play keys.

Guitar requires an upgrade and so I’m focusing on getting a Jackson guitar probably over $1000 and then I want to add in a gk kit since I already have an old gp10 laying around collecting dust.

My computer needs work so I’m thinking to add an mx5 from headrush to have a nice portable unit that can get me tones while my computer is in the shop.

Also for keys I am looking at the Roland sh101 Gaia since it’s polyphonic and something I really like the sounds on. I’ve got a few controllers but with the main computer being in the shop a stand alone keyboard may be useful and at $700 it’s about the best I’ve heard.

Software wise I’m debating komplete at $600 or the same spent with arturia.

Interface needs upgrading and zen go looks like the easy choice to grab there at $500

I still want an sy1000 also and it would benefit from my having an mx5 since the sy1000 lacks the IR functionality and the headrush seems to have better amp modeling as well.

I’ve had a helix and I’m leaning towards headrush for many reasons: simplicity, tones for the music I hear in my head which requires great univibe and rotary fx and dedicated pedals may enter into my thought process later on. I’m shying away from helix and it’s tweak nightmare situation. I want to play not tweak constantly.

Oh and I still have helix native so why invest in that hardware anyway when you can use it live with a laptop if needed

Pedals I hope to add include:

Mono: sabadius electric church fuzz face pedal, r weavers violet vibe, source audios Ultrawave and hub, plus LA Lady and possibly others. Jackson audios Asabi. Nux mg300 for use inside of an ehx attack decay. Possibly a Morningstar ml5 as well as an mc8

Stereo: meris hedra, neo ventilator, strymon volante, poly beebo.

Azbest wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:59 pm
Cool, you think it's a good starting build for a DIY novice? How long did it take you to finish it?
I’d say it’s an intermediate build. The circuit boards are pretty dense and the mechanical assembly can be a little tricky. The documentation is very good though. I think they may have taken 20hrs total.

A Stanford CR Marquee. It was supposed to come last year….
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I just found Korg Opsix is going for $950 in Auckland - $200 off the usual $1150 (seems like that Korg trio Wavestate/Opsix/Modwave really bounce around in price). Will buy it later when I can drag myself out of bed (finished a run of 12hr nights).

Save myself $200! :hyper:

Which means...I can get myself a purple Behringer 303 too ($180). :dog:
I was holding off on those cos I hate programming the f**king things but have to admit they're fun. Was thinking when I finally buy one, I'd go for the modded one but I want the distortion. And a silver/black/yellow one is $80 more ( :nutter: ). Why does nobody want purple ones? Does it make it a lesbian synth?

So 2 synths for the price of one (is what I'm telling myself). :party:
Will order tonight.

kritikon wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:04 am I just found Korg Opsix is going for $950 in Auckland - $200 off the usual $1150 (seems like that Korg trio Wavestate/Opsix/Modwave really bounce around in price). Will buy it later when I can drag myself out of bed (finished a run of 12hr nights).

Save myself $200! :hyper:

Which means...I can get myself a purple Behringer 303 too ($180). :dog:
I was holding off on those cos I hate programming the f**king things but have to admit they're fun. Was thinking when I finally buy one, I'd go for the modded one but I want the distortion. And a silver/black/yellow one is $80 more ( :nutter: ). Why does nobody want purple ones? Does it make it a lesbian synth?

So 2 synths for the price of one (is what I'm telling myself). :party:
Will order tonight.
I actually want the purple one too, but what’s this about distortion being exclusive to the non “modded” one?
Is there really a difference?

From what I can see, there's an overdrive knob on the modded 303, whereas different controls for distortion on the original (distortion and tone). I think the overdrive might actually be for the filter on the modded one? I vaguely remember reading a while back that the modded 303 lost distortion in place of all the other stuff it adds. Not 100% sure, and I figured an original is only the price of going out for dinner as opposed to proper synth price. :shrug: And despite I would use the other gizmos on the modded one...I just want a plain old 303 for shits and giggles.

Technically the purple is "grape", so I can be all posh and refined sipping on a Spanish red while banging out an acid track. I think it's time for the gentlemen to take 303s back off the geezers. :phones:

Found this...
"One thing that’s missing from the TD-3-MO is the Distortion circuit which was a very cool feature of their original clone. Instead, we have the Muffler limiter and Overdrive mod from Devil Fish which has a very different sound to it. We also have LED lighting in the bottom of the case that flashes in time to your patterns, so while some things are lost some things are gained."

That was from Gearnews when it came out (sorry can't directly link the piece - on my tablet currently). So it seems there is a distortion but nothing like the original one. And I have to say the distortion Behringer put on the original suits it perfectly...really like it, and mostly I'm not a distortion fan. I didn't realize the modded one flashes...nice addition (how easily distracted us kids are :clown: )

kritikon wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:53 pm Found this...
"One thing that’s missing from the TD-3-MO is the Distortion circuit which was a very cool feature of their original clone. Instead, we have the Muffler limiter and Overdrive mod from Devil Fish which has a very different sound to it. We also have LED lighting in the bottom of the case that flashes in time to your patterns, so while some things are lost some things are gained."

That was from Gearnews when it came out (sorry can't directly link the piece - on my tablet currently). So it seems there is a distortion but nothing like the original one. And I have to say the distortion Behringer put on the original suits it perfectly...really like it, and mostly I'm not a distortion fan. I didn't realize the modded one flashes...nice addition (how easily distracted us kids are :clown: )
Thank you! I had been just about ready to purchase, only waiting for the “grape” one to become available before reading about the modded out version. I’ll likely do the same now and pick up the OG one now. If it’s truly something I want more control over from the modular gear, then I’ll see about getting the MO one too (because I am big fan of distortion, so it makes for a very good excuse).

Yeah, and there's definitely room for 2 303s in anyone's life...the duelling banjo thing with 303s always used to be fun. If you're into modular then I guess the modded one is very tempting. Looks like they put a shitload of in/outs on it. :tu:

Korg Wavestate - 100%
Behringer 2600 to accompany Odyssey - 50% chance because it's "nice to have/not necessary"

Mixer - because I'll use all inputs in my audio interface soon

Stereo compressor pedal for Cobalt8, if somebody makes one because that one from EHX cuts audio between 15/16kHz - does it has 32kHz SR or what?

LEGO Technics - to build desktop stands for synths ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”