One Synth Challenge #155: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IV! wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:26 pm
Aro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:52 pm I had the ambition to make a chiptune this month. So since I can choose any vst for such a production, any suggestions for free?
Hi, Aro! Find your one:
38911 Bytes 64
Basic 64
Bleep'
Chip32
NanoX (not quite a chiptune)
NeoChip (beautiful)
P/Nes (Monster!)
ProtoPSG
Quantum 64
Retro Boy
VST Speak (funny text speaker)
:tu:
Oh nice list, I haven't seen some of these. I'll have to save this list and download the ones I don't have once my music computer is back in action.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:26 pm
Aro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:52 pm I had the ambition to make a chiptune this month. So since I can choose any vst for such a production, any suggestions for free?
Hi, Aro! Find your one:
38911 Bytes 64
Basic 64
Bleep'
Chip32
NeoChip (beautiful)
P/Nes (Monster!)
ProtoPSG
Quantum 64
Retro Boy
Oh nice list, I haven't seen some of these. I'll have to save this list and download the ones I don't have once my music computer is back in action.
These are certainly not all free chiptune synths that exist!) You can go to Plugins4free and find a lot (8 pages) of similar synthesizers in the Lo-fi section! I just once selected for myself the best in my opinion.

IV! wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:26 pm
Hi, Aro! Find your one:
38911 Bytes 64
Basic 64
Bleep'
Chip32
NeoChip (beautiful)
P/Nes (Monster!)
ProtoPSG
Quantum 64
Retro Boy
These are certainly not all free chiptune synths that exist!) You can go to Plugins4free and find a lot (8 pages) of similar synthesizers in the Lo-fi section! I just once selected for myself the best in my opinion.
Maybe I'll download some of these too and do a comparison. See which one inspires me the most.

My go to chiptunes synth is Thor from Reason. It was used to make Disasterpeace's seminal album Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar, which is my favorite chiptune work ever. I chose Odin II because it's very close to Thor (but with a bunch of extras, IIRC!). It's very amenable to chiptunes with like quantized/crushed waveforms and envelopes and stuff, while still being incredibly flexible which makes it great for a single synth track.

The only reason I still choose Thor over Odin most of the time is familiarity as well as really loving the particular sound of oscillators and the mod delay effect. One of these days I'll spend the time to find an external delay that I like as much, or create one.
IV! wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm
I don't want to download every vst out there lol, but I'll definitely download the ones you specifically recommend that I don't already have.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a bit confused... Any synth, but no samples? Vital, SynthMaster, Iris 2, Surge, Serum, Omnisphere and so on are based on wavetables. They're all ok as long as ! don't use my homemade wavetables?
Making music make me feel happy. :)

Old_Progger wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 pm I'm a bit confused... Any synth, but no samples? Vital, SynthMaster, Iris 2, Surge, Serum, Omnisphere and so on are based on wavetables. They're all ok as long as ! don't use my homemade wavetables?
I would say homemade wavetables should be okay, as long as they're not derived from samples. Vital has a powerful wavetable editor, where you can create wavetables from scratch (i.e. basic waveforms).

Lol, what about Omnisphere?

Old_Progger wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 pm I'm a bit confused... Any synth, but no samples? Vital, SynthMaster, Iris 2, Surge, Serum, Omnisphere and so on are based on wavetables. They're all ok as long as ! don't use my homemade wavetables?
Homemade wavetables are just fine. The thing to avoid is using wavetables to achieve sample playback. I.e. converting sample to wavetable and scanning through it to recreate the sample.

ELEX wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm
Homemade wavetables are just fine. The thing to avoid is using wavetables to achieve sample playback. I.e. converting sample to wavetable and scanning through it to recreate the sample.
OK, I understand. Thanks! :)
Making music make me feel happy. :)

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:31 pm My go to chiptunes synth is Thor from Reason. It was used to make Disasterpeace's seminal album Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar, which is my favorite chiptune work ever.
I'll check it out! Thanks, briefcasemanx, for some inspiration!

VOPM is a good, albeit not straightforward synth for chiptunes. Same with VST2413 or JUCEoplvst.

Also, I'm trying Harmor because why not
It's very tasty, I swear!

zerofox97 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:11 am VOPM is a good, albeit not straightforward synth for chiptunes. Same with VST2413 or JUCEoplvst.
Lots of choices! Thanks!

I realise using samples for the sounds them selves is not allowed - but is it OK to add vocal and or movie samples to a track just to spice it up a bit, or is any sample what ever kind of sample strictly prohibited.

astralprojection wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:32 am I realise using samples for the sounds them selves is not allowed - but is it OK to add vocal and or movie samples to a track just to spice it up a bit, or is any sample what ever kind of sample strictly prohibited.
strictly prohibited

Happy New Year, gang! :party:
I'm sorry, I haven't managed to join in for most of last year. Not sure what this one may look like, but with "any synth" it's certainly off to an open season! :hihi:

Well, I wish us all a wonderful year, hopefully with some great new freebie synths and with plenty of musical inspiration! :harp:

Return to “Instruments”