One Synth Challenge #155: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello again friends
This month I've used the synth I won in November (OSC 153): Discovery by Disco DSP 4.5 (the blue version)
I've used the VST3 version because VST2 didn't record the presets with the project. I normally have problems with VST3 plugins instead VST2 but this time the opposite happened :roll:
Anyway I've enjoyed the workflow of this synth and its sound, the percussions have been easier than the last month with Triple Cheese :D

I've used:
20xDiscovery by DiscoDSP
Daw: Renoise

Internal effects:
Compressor
Eq 5
Eq 10
Digital Filter
Analog filter
mpReverb
Delay
Stereo X

Commercial FX:
TC Electronic Master X5 on the Master track (from an old PCI powercore card I have but it keeps working well)

Free effects:
2xValhalla Supermassive

https://soundcloud.com/davi_dj/all-systems-go

Here's my submission using the Korg Prologue 16 analog polyphonic synthesizer: https://soundcloud.com/thefrozen-sea/sa ... al_sharing

Using a hardware analog synthesizer, especially one as unstable as my Prologue, turned out to be quite a hassle. Had to replace one of the analog oscillators in the piano sound for the digital one because of tuning issues, you can hear tuning issues with the strings in at least one place, the triangle-wave based organ sound is unstable due to the "shape" setting not being stable for the triangle waves for different voices... The built in phaser messed up the tuning of the strings so they're quite dry unfortunately, since I couldn't use a VST phaser :( Don't get me wrong, I *love* my Korg Prologue but this project has made me realize I love it for a few sounds in a production, not all of them. Too much is just... too much. It can be a jack of all trades but not all of them at the same time, if that makes sense.

I like the song but am a bit disappointed in myself because it's not really finished and I didn't have time to do any automation. I usually get a lot of pleasant comments though so hopefully some of you can hear where the song is headed and appreciate that :) There's some interesting chord progressions in there if I may say so myself.

12x instances of Korg Prologue
Sometimes using the built in low-end compressor, and built in chorus (lead) and ensemble (organ) effects.
11x Black Rooster Audio VHL-3C filters
2x Ignite Audio Labs PTEq-X EQ
6x Elysia Niveau filters
1x Audio Tools "ADHD" levelling tool compressor
2x Analog Obsession "LALA" compressors
3x Analog Obsession "Varimoon" compressors
2x Soundtoys Primaltap delays
1x Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Plate Reverb
1x Sonic Anomaly "Unlimited" limiter

No hardware processing on the way in except the built in stuff in the Prologue. Straight into RME converters. Produced, mixed and mastered in Reaper DAW.

So here is my submission:

https://soundcloud.com/impedancemusic/i ... d-system-8

I choose my Roland System-8 for this challenge, because i wanted to use hardware and using my D-50 twice would be lame :P I didn´t use any of the "Plugout-Models" just the main System-8 model. I started with Fruity FPC (drumsampler thing) and FL Keys to do the basic structure, melody, chords and drums of the track. When i thought i was happy with it (went out of time) - I used a bunch of Synth1 and PG8X VSTs to programm some sounds and figuring out how the track should sound. The next step was reprogramming those sounds on the System-8, in this step a lot of them end up being entirely different sounds, and finally recording the Audio. If a track had a large gap, i recorded two Audio tracks - there´s no reason to record 3TB of Silence :p That´s also the reason why where are more Audio Tracks then actual sounds. There are 35 different sounds btw. I handled each Audio Track as an Instance of the Synth. The Synth is recorded through USB with both handplayed Parts and MIDI. No wolves were harmed during the production of this song - I swear. Last but not least some FX and aditional sounds were recorded. And i don´t know how to describe my submission any further - it´s just the stuff i always end up doing :hihi:

All sounds made entirely from scratch.
DAW: FL-Studio 20.9
Synth: Roland System-8 [Hardware]
Instances / Recordings: 40 Audio Tracks
Funfact: 4 Audio Tracks ended up not being used in the final track

DAW Plugins:
Fruity Parametric EQ2 [22]
Fruity Limiter [3]
Fruity Stereo Enhancer [14]
Fruity Delay 2 [4]
Fruity Delay 3 [4]
Fruity Reeverb 2 [3]
Fruity Convolver [1]

3rd Party Free:
Youlean Loudness Meter 2 [1],
Melda MCompressor [2]
Analog Obsession LOVEND [2]
Xfer OTT [8]
TAL Reverb 2 [3]

3rd Party Commercial:
Waves H-Reverb [II]

3rd Party I got it for free but it´s actually Commercial:
Izotope Ozone 8 Elements [1]

Hope you enjoy it :P
"We should not kill the earth, we wouldn´t know where to bury it!" - Michel Granger

TheFrozenSea wrote:
Using a hardware analog synthesizer, especially one as unstable as my Prologue, turned out to be quite a hassle. Had to replace one of the analog oscillators in the piano sound for the digital one because of tuning issues, you can hear tuning issues with the strings in at least one place, the triangle-wave based organ sound is unstable due to the "shape" setting not being stable for the triangle waves for different voices...
Do you warm the synth up before playing it?
Although you only really need 15 mins or so I swear by having them turned on for a few hours before I record using them

Taking a bit of a punt on this, as I only just discovered there was an 'any synth' contest this month :hyper:
So, hopefully this will be accepted, at least for consideration. It is done entirely in Yoshimi, 12 tracks recorded to Audacity in a single pass, with no post effects or editing. Sequencer used was Rosegarden.

Instrument Patches:
(my own design)
Multi Rushes
Rich Bass
Voyager Chimes
Post Horn
Yet Another Flute
Vibraphone
Soft
Soft Ahh
Solo
Moor Drums
Stick Hit
(from Dario Straulino)
Natural Drum Kit

https://soundcloud.com/soft-sounds/ridi ... hire-dales
Last edited by folderol on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

MilksterX wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:50 am
TheFrozenSea wrote:
Using a hardware analog synthesizer, especially one as unstable as my Prologue, turned out to be quite a hassle. Had to replace one of the analog oscillators in the piano sound for the digital one because of tuning issues, you can hear tuning issues with the strings in at least one place, the triangle-wave based organ sound is unstable due to the "shape" setting not being stable for the triangle waves for different voices...
Although you only really need 15 mins or so I swear by having them turned on for a few hours before I record using them
Tangerine Dream warmed up their Moog modules for a couple of days ... swapping modules if they didn't "tune up"!! Saw them in concert at York Minster and they were fabulous, and in tune!

dB

doctorbob wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:24 pm
Tangerine Dream warmed up their Moog modules for a couple of days ... swapping modules if they didn't "tune up"!! Saw them in concert at York Minster and they were fabulous, and in tune!

dB
Yes, read an interview of someone who uses Avalon VT preamps says he has them on for 24 hours before using them. Says the difference in sound is like night and day.

MilksterX wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:50 am
TheFrozenSea wrote:
Being a 16-voice analog poly, the Prologue has a lot crammed into it and gets quite hot, so I suspect it might be the opposite. I noticed this particular issue after having it on for a while and it was hot. Restarted it to restart the tuning process. No change. Tried another day directly and after shorter warm up. No change. It's simply a drifty little thing :)

See if it's on the latest firmware. Googled it and found this.
https://www.gearnews.com/korg-prologue- ... stability/

doctorbob wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:24 pm

dB
I always love the new tunes I discover from this forum!

MilksterX wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:57 pm See if it's on the latest firmware. Googled it and found this.
https://www.gearnews.com/korg-prologue- ... stability/
I think it is, but I'll check. Thanks :)

sophia00 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:13 am Its really excited
👆 this

The Sound Of Merlin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:45 pm PS: I have deleted the first version from SoundCloud and uploaded a new mix. It's a pity that I now lost all those wonderful comments some guys sent me. Sorry about that.
Hi, and welcome. As far as I know, that has been (for a long-time) a limitation of free Soundcloud uploads. I've saved some of my old tracks with comments by converting them to "private" in the track options -- this removes the track from these posts and from the master OSC list, so the old version won't show up. I haven't had a problem uploading an updated track with the same name later. The problem with this method is that it eats into your upload quota (time limit). Maybe someone else with more knowledge about this has a better solution?

Taron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:39 pm Alright, here's my first test with this setup[...]
FullBucket's FB-7999
Good choice :tu:
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Hi all together,

late start into the OSC this month :)
Since I had developed further ideas with my demo track for the FB 7999, it was clear to me this month: it will be Fullbuckets FB7999 .

For those who don't know the FB7999: just take a look at Björn's homepage.

I've created new presets for this month's track and all presets will be available soon on KVR.

So here is my work in this month:

Songname: Kraftraum - Rotation 34 (Roboterwerk#2)
Host: FL Studio 20.7.1
FB7999: 32 Instances

Insert FX:
Lightweight Compressor x 3, Loudmax x 9,
Fruity Parametrics Eq2 x 27, Fruity Compressor x 24,
Fruity Limiter x 8, Fruity Filter x 15
Soundgoodizer x 20, Fruity Delay Bank x 17
Fruity Stereo Shaper x 3, T-Force Trance Gate x 1
Fruity Reverb 2 x 2, IxoxDelay x 2

Master FX:
Fruity Parametrics Eq2
Fruity Compressor
Fruity MultibandCompressor
Loudmax x 2
(Fruity Spectroman)

Automation: yes

DR: 9
All patches are done from scratch by me.
Artwork: geralt (https://pixabay.com/de/illustrations/ro ... ie-6621825)

Enjoy the track and have a great start into the week :)
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum/kraftr ... boterwerk2
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Return to “Instruments”