Lazy developers exposed by Apple M1 transition (lack of native updates)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS 5

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 pm I never sell old machines, so my current machine will get parked in time, like a time capsule and every plugin on there will continue to work fine even 20 years from now, should I need them, which I doubt that I would.
As long as you're prepared to recap your boards. Computer hardware often eventually fails, due to entropy and/or cheap components, often capacitors.

kidslow wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:37 am As long as you're prepared to recap your boards. Computer hardware often eventually fails, due to entropy and/or cheap components, often capacitors.
I parked my Mac which I bought in 2001 and I still have it to this day. I almost never use it or turn it on, but it does still work fine.

The only thing I had to do to it was to buy a new battery for it a few years ago, I think it was a battery for the pram, because the old one had died out.

But I agree that no hardware will last forever of course and things might happen to certain components etc. along the way.

sQeetz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:50 pm
jens wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:43 pm The irony of the story is that now, roughly 18 months later, Intel has the better chips again... - partly thanks to a kick in the butt by Apple, I assume... :lol:
You mean faster - not better.
If I meant faster, I would have written faster.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 am If I meant faster, I would have written faster.
You're entitled to your opinion.

One man's better is another person's garbage, so it's all relative I suppose.

jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 am
sQeetz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:50 pm You mean faster - not better.
But that's all there is to them :shrug:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:53 am
jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 am
sQeetz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:50 pm You mean faster - not better.
But that's all there is to them :shrug:
No, it isn't.
You obviously choose to stay uninformed - fair enough. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:47 am
jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 am If I meant faster, I would have written faster.
You're entitled to your opinion.

One man's better is another person's garbage, so it's all relative I suppose.
Of course your reply bhas to be something entirely dumb such as this. I knew you couldn't come up with something halfway clever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:02 am
No, it isn't.
You obviously choose to stay uninformed - fair enough. :shrug:
If raw speed is what you're after, then you're right.
But that power comes with the cost of heat and battery life. The Alder Lake CPUs having efficiency cores doesn't help much in that regard...
but whatever you say, chief. :party:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

No, in regards to low power settings they're almost on par and almost as cool as the M1 series - they're much more flexible/scalable though. If you want a modern CPU that can be quiet and cool on battery but absolutely slaughter the competition (looking at you, M1 Max) on power supply, then go with the 12700h. And you can keep running your 20+ years on installers on it.

jens wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:03 am Of course your reply bhas to be something entirely dumb such as this. I knew you couldn't come up with something halfway clever. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again, you're entitled to your opinion. What you consider to be dumb, others consider to be completely truthful and honest opinions.

What you consider to be best in your opinion, I consider to be garbage, as it holds zero value to me and it never will. You couldn't pay me to use it, and I do mean that 100% seriously.

I clicked on this thread to read about the transition to Apple silicon. As I wrote previously, I couldn't care less about other platforms.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ve seen tests and it’s not as cool as M1 under any scenario, and max TDP for the 10% performance gain it has, is 2x as much.

Furthermore i doubt you can run small buffers on full load like on the M1 - haven’t seen an x86 chip that can do that - especially on mobile.

Simply put, in an M1 chassis it would’ve overheated and you’d get constant overloads like it used to be. (Benchmarks previous i9 vs M1 basic)

There are laws of physics in play that apple circumvented by architecture design, not magic.

Furthermore i doubt you can run small buffers on full load like on the M1 - haven’t seen an x86 chip that can do that - especially on mobile.
i'm perfectly happy with my M1. i don't use ultra low buffer settings though and only have an old i7 laptop from 2010 to compare to, but there's a thread over on GS where people are complaining how particularly bad M1 is for them on low latency settings compared to their old intel machines :help:
most of them seem to be fine though with their performances on higher latencies
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

2MuchAudiOh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:46 pm No. It's 2022, May 6 and NOTHING about UAD is native yet. Neither is Spark.

1. Spark only runs in Audio Unit format (because it is NOT native).
2. UAD standard plug-ins only work with their (outdated) hardware (dongle) detected.
Yes. It's May 7 2022, and all UAD-2 DSP Plugins are native as of version 10. In fact, most of them have been native since January. How does the fact that they need their DSP hardware mean they are not native? The plugins are native. By your logic, they aren't native on Intel either, and any plugin requiring an iLok dongle is also not native. Don't be ridiculous.

As for Spark: Spark plugins were released last month. My OP is from January. Pardon me for not being able to tell the future.
Last edited by teilo on Sat May 07, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[deleted]
Last edited by teilo on Sat May 07, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”