Arturia Diode609 compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really like this one. For buss compression it seems easier for me to dial in. (compared to NI Solid Bus for instance)

But in the advanced view.. that "drive" parameter. Am I using it wrong, or is that is the MOST subtle drive ever?

Winding it all the way up, I THINK I can here it. hah.
And even printing the effect, the waveform difference is pretty minor.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

It just occurred to me.. I should try a null test this eve.

When you do let us know! I'm intrigued. Usually I trust Arturia plugins quite a bit. This one I gave it a try when it came out and sounded really good, was efficient and easy to dial... but still I felt it didn't add anything particularly necessary to what I already have, so I let the upgrade pass. Maybe I'll rethink it the next iteration of sales, etc.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

::
rabbit in a hole

The IK version is pretty good. Sounds a lot like the UAD version. Never used the Arturia. I'll say this though: don't expect it to be a distortion box or anything though.

So I did try nulling with an unprocessed track. Just the transients are left behind. (so I guess it's saturating them a bit..)
This occurs with the drive at 0 and then increases just a tiny bit all the way up. (the remaining transients get a little brighter)

Super subtle.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:03 am The IK version is pretty good. Sounds a lot like the UAD version. Never used the Arturia. I'll say this though: don't expect it to be a distortion box or anything though.
I have both, and have compared them side by side. I’ve had the IK model from the beginning, and recently acquired the Arturia model in the FX Collection 2 BF sale.

I like the IK model better. It sounds smoother and more transparent to me.

But I’d happily use either.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Rupert Neve was renowned for making really transparent designs, at least for the time. Its very possible its subtle, because that's exactly how Neve's design behaves.

Try it other content, though, the more harmonically rich the source is the more you should notice the difference. I do have to say, though, this is a great sounding compressor.

Ya I've put it on the mix buss in my template session. I was using the NI Solid Bus compressor there until recently.. I'm sure it's fine, but I always struggled to make it work for me.

Danno wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:35 pm Ya I've put it on the mix buss in my template session. I was using the NI Solid Bus compressor there until recently.. I'm sure it's fine, but I always struggled to make it work for me.
The SSL Buss Compressor, as good as it is, is just another compressor. There are so many good options out there to put on a mix buss why should we limit ourselves to just one?? Why not choose one that best matches the genre or the particular project we are working on. The Arturia Diode609, Elysia Alpha Compressor, SPL Iron, Waves DPR-402 are among many good options.

If the Diode works for you thats awesome to hear. I only wished others were as flexibly minded.

If I want subtle and that's what I usually want on master bus I prefer TDR Kotelnikov and nothing else
Arturia 609 does not work for me at all

This compressor is actually on my master bus (and activated) in my template session. If I'm hitting it hard, I struggle making it work.. but for subtle use, it's great.

Kotelnikov was actually in the running for the same purpose You're right, it might be better for heavier compression but I went with Diode609. (IMHO always)

Tried it on my parallel drum bus when all the techno cool kids were using it and it stayed there ever since.

Return to “Effects”