The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrZdJmjoXs
Which is the best clone of the Roland TB 303? What do you think? My vote goes on the Cyclone Analogic TT-303. Check out my test!

No EQ. No compression. No external effects. Pure sound.

Recording chain: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot V2 (instrument) - Sommer Cable Spirit LLX (cable) - Audient ASP800 (preamp) - Alva Optical Toslink (cable) - Apogee Symphony I/O MK1 (converter A/D)

Enjoy! 🙂

Very nice recording. If you have the ASP800 connected to the Apogee via TOSlink, isn't the ASP acting as the ADC?

I like the sound of the TT-303 and have been considering one since before they changed the enclosure. I also like the Din Sync RE-303. I lusted after the XOXIO and of course a Devil Fish 303 for many years but I'm always left feeling like I'll never get a 303 to fit into my music. :lol:

Behringer perhaps? or x0xb0x ?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

the answer actually depends.
i'm into aggressive side of 303 sound, so my favorite is MAM MB-33 Retro, it screams like crazy.
but YMMV.

Behringer TD-3 sounds pretty much spot on for me.

justin3am wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:22 pm I'm always left feeling like I'll never get a 303 to fit into my music. :lol:
Same... if anything, I try to re-create some famous 303 lines with ABL3. Nothing I'd really use in my music (or the 8 bar loops that I call "my music"...).

Behringer TD3 is the only hardware 303 I ever had but it sounds pretty much spot on compared to what I hear on records

A little WIP "acid ambient" piece, TD3 and Virus + some drums and background atmos

https://vocaroo.com/1My4tF7c0PF7
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Well, it's not a clone, so feel free to ignore this, but the 303-inspired Erica Synths DB-01 sounds amazing.

justin3am wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:22 pmbut I'm always left feeling like I'll never get a 303 to fit into my music. :lol:
I also agree with this. The missus got me the Berhinger TD3 and I was so happy because I could never buy one for me. :party:

recursive one wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 am Behringer TD3 is the only hardware 303 I ever had but it sounds pretty much spot on compared to what I hear on records
Oh, you got one, nice. :)

I was close to buying one as well, as it was cheap as chips on Thomann (79 €). Decided against it then though. I'm always contemplative with such decisions. Especially as I know myself, and know that, once I get a piece of hardware, I will lust for more...

At least, with plugins that doesn't lead to bankruptcy. :D

For the money, the Behringer is a no-brainer. Had it for a couple years now and still have not used it in a single track, but god damn that thing is fun to jam with for hours on end. If you want a 303, it does 303 just like it should.

I've owned a TB-3, TB-03, and a TD-3. Ill refer to them as Aira, Boutique, and Behringer.

The Aira sounded decent and I loved that it allowed for 32 step sequences, but navigating it all with that touch panel was not fun at all. I sold it after I got the Boutique.

The boutique, for its small size, is pretty spot on. It does have a little more bass, and a little more cutoff range than the Aira (and actual TB303 from what I've heard in comparisons), and is pretty durably built! The buttons and knobs and switches are all responsive and consistent in quality.

I was tempted by the Behringer and snagged one for just under $100 in 2020. The buttons were really inconsistent; hair triggering when touched, double triggering when pressed (re: the start/stop!). The knobs had varying levels of turn resistance, some being slippery some being tougher to turn. The filter sounded really weak and thin in comparison to the Boutique. Even if the sound was good enough, the build was terrible. I wouldn't trust the Behringer in a live setting. I sold it in a week for about $25 profit.

I will stand firm that the Boutique is the best of the budget clones. The Behringer being analog does not mean shit for me if it sounds bad. I would consider the new TD3MO, but I'm also not dying for one and I have other things to focus on.

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:30 am
recursive one wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 am Behringer TD3 is the only hardware 303 I ever had but it sounds pretty much spot on compared to what I hear on records
Oh, you got one, nice. :)

I was close to buying one as well, as it was cheap as chips on Thomann (79 €). Decided against it then though. I'm always contemplative with such decisions. Especially as I know myself, and know that, once I get a piece of hardware, I will lust for more...

At least, with plugins that doesn't lead to bankruptcy. :D
I've got it as a New Year gift form my wife (seems that's how people typically aquire them :) ) and I like it a lot, I've already recorded some stuff with it for my WIP tracks. A juicy 303 line is never out of place in psy/goa/psychill.

Now I have three HW synths in a neat and tidy setup but for the time being is think I'll stop at that. I consider adding an analog poly like a Deepmind at some point but not now.

For the record, I have no problems with TD3 build quality, all the knobs and buttons behave fine (and it looks cool!)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chaocrator wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:43 am the answer actually depends.
i'm into aggressive side of 303 sound, so my favorite is MAM MB-33 Retro, it screams like crazy.
but YMMV.
no sequencer on that one though. As far as i understand the sequencer in a TB-303 is quite special. It is not a regular sequencer as you are used to but i bet it is a great synth. Have heard about it before. There is also Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine, Syntecno TeeBee, MAM FreeBass 383, Will Systems MAB-303 and Doepfer MS-404, all quite similar as far as i understand.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

chaocrator wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:43 am the answer actually depends.
but YMMV.
If you are into aggressive 303, please take a look at my 303 playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDxv ... MbJA8HqFEb

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”