Modular software options?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the most developed regardless of price?

What is the best value one?
Capitalism is a cancer of the human mind, as with all authoritarianisms. It opulently gluttonizes the selfish and carelessly starves the meek. It consumes Mother Earth and Humanity unhealthily, currently.

VCV Rack 2.

Agreed, VCV Rack 2 on both counts -- if you don't need it to run as a VST plugin it's free, and there is an absolute ton of content for it, much of which is pretty great. I did get the pro version and it's definitely worth the price IMHO.

Bitwig has its own modular stuff built in which is fantastic.

The others might be fine but didn't really compel me. I did kind of find some charm in AAS Multiphonics but not quite enough to buy it, setting it next to Bitwig and my hardware.

simmo75 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm VCV Rack 2.
This unfortunately does not apply to the plugin version.

The standalone version is great indeed....

NI Reaktor
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

I only use the standalone version of VCV for screwing around, I use the plugin version all the time for actual tracks, without any serious issues.

foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:09 pm I only use the standalone version of VCV for screwing around, I use the plugin version all the time for actual tracks, without any serious issues.
Just two things, the plugin window (default size not choosable, size doesn't get saved to the project file, keyboard shortcuts of the DAW are disabled when plugin window is selected) and how to sync clocked VCV modules with the DAW. Syncing could be a lot easier. With Reaktor and Softube Modular I never had to think about such things, it just works.

I guess, if VCV Rack would be developed as a VST plugin first, it would be look different.

Anyway, I still like and use VCV Rack. Bought the Pro version and two other additional VCV modules in the last few years....

In Bitwig if you save VCV as a preset, it will remember the window size and position.

And I find using the CLK/N output of the MIDI-CV module, and setting the divisions with a right-click menu, also works for me. It stops when the transport isn't running, which I have mixed feelings about. But this being Bitwig, I can also assign a tempo synced LFO modulator to a knob on Shades (or other offset etc.) to use it for a clock without it depending on the transport.

foosnark wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 am In Bitwig if you save VCV as a preset, it will remember the window size and position.
Whaaat!? :eek:
foosnark wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 amAnd I find using the CLK/N output of the MIDI-CV module, and setting the divisions with a right-click menu, also works for me. It stops when the transport isn't running, which I have mixed feelings about.
This is also not working in Ableton Live. To be more precisely, it works, but the clock signal sounds jittery and is unusable. Start/stop synced with the DAW only works with a logic module and some small patching.

Because of this and "my" other current problem I start to think, Mr. Andrew Belt doesn't like Ableton Live.

No, just kidding. ;)

I think Ableton Live is unfortunately not his first choice for testing....

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm
foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:09 pm I only use the standalone version of VCV for screwing around, I use the plugin version all the time for actual tracks, without any serious issues.
Just two things, the plugin window (default size not choosable, size doesn't get saved to the project file, keyboard shortcuts of the DAW are disabled when plugin window is selected) and how to sync clocked VCV modules with the DAW. Syncing could be a lot easier. With Reaktor and Softube Modular I never had to think about such things, it just works.

I guess, if VCV Rack would be developed as a VST plugin first, it would be look different.

Anyway, I still like and use VCV Rack. Bought the Pro version and two other additional VCV modules in the last few years....
keyboard is beeing "fixed " but many users enjoy the current behavior and then will complain :lol: they will probably add it as a setting, maybe in next update

foosnark wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 am In Bitwig if you save VCV as a preset, it will remember the window size and position.

And I find using the CLK/N output of the MIDI-CV module, and setting the divisions with a right-click menu, also works for me. It stops when the transport isn't running, which I have mixed feelings about. But this being Bitwig, I can also assign a tempo synced LFO modulator to a knob on Shades (or other offset etc.) to use it for a clock without it depending on the transport.
why not just using a clock module if you don t want it to stop, i guess i don t understand

about the topic , vcv you really get a lot for the money , but reaktor and softube are also great.. i m really surpised how the workflow is great on vcv and how deep it is.

kobal wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:18 pm why not just using a clock module if you don t want it to stop, i guess i don t understand
If you don't want it to sync to the host tempo, sure. (Unless there are clock modules that sync to host tempo and I just didn't notice.)

Usually I don't even worry about host tempo since my sequencing tends to be modular anyway, but if I want tempo synced delays, it's easier to use the host tempo for that.

Full Bucket ModulAir
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

foosnark wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:27 am
kobal wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:18 pm why not just using a clock module if you don t want it to stop, i guess i don t understand
If you don't want it to sync to the host tempo, sure. (Unless there are clock modules that sync to host tempo and I just didn't notice.)

Usually I don't even worry about host tempo since my sequencing tends to be modular anyway, but if I want tempo synced delays, it's easier to use the host tempo for that.
i never tested but maybe reseting a clock with a trig from the start of the sequencer of the midi module might work to have clock always on and synced

Return to “Modular Synthesis”