Windows 10 keeps failing to open USB MIDI Devices after one time use

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have this really annoying issue on Windows 10 recently...

At first it only happened with my Arturia Keylab mkII occassionally. Now it happens everytime with the Keylab and my Mackie MCU Pro ...

1. I uninstall the device from Windows device manager and plug USB in again -> device is installed.
2. Running an app that uses the device, e.g. my DAW -> Device works in it.
3. Quit the DAW.
4. Relaunch the DAW or any other app that wants to see the device (Arturia MIDI Control Center, MidiView, etc) -> It tell me "Failed to open device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application." (which it is not!)
5. Uninstall device in device manager, reboot, re-install device, launch DAW -> It works one time again, then rinse repeat to step 3.

Anyone know what could cause this? I have several other MIDI devices installed via USB (MOTU MIDI hubs, some other synths) and these never cause any problems.

I've tried different USB cables -> no change.
I've tried different USB connectors -> no change.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

tbh I think it's some kind of bug in Windows that really mishandles USB devices.

I have 2 MIDI keyboards in my PC, and sometimes it only sees one, if I disconnect and reconnect then it sees two.

Its so random and annoying but I can only assume its a windows thing.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

- Make sure motherboard BIOS is updated.

- In the BIOS disable C-States

- Make sure to install the latest chipset driver.

- Disable Windows 10 Hibernate.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/285 ... -10-a.html

- Set like this (For AMD 3000 check here.)

The complete/updated list of tweaks that helps with USB/LAN/DPC latency
viewtopic.php?p=8820694#p8820694
Last edited by Pictus on Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ugh. same. my midi keyboard and audio device is suddenly failing to open, and it's random. my pc is not connected to the internet normally, but did have to turn on briefly to install a new ad/da sound card the other day before disconnecting again. I'm wondering if it's a hostile forced takeover by windows. They have been very sneaky about "forcing" your hand lately.

In device manager, select 'show hidden devices'. You will see all midi devices that are installed in your system. Delete what are not used / required and try. Regards.
maanga

A few findings and observations ...

1. Windows MIDI management is awful, always has been!
2. Using the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstaller or the Device Manager with "Show hidden devices" as pointed out by maanga let's you see any duplicate MIDI device entries and remove these.
3. Not sure if this is exactly the same but in regedit going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > Current Version > Drivers32 and removing all entries starting with "midi" might also help.

I did all of these and also uninstalled any associated driver software, then rebooted and re-installed one by one.

4. I will switch to using MIDI cables for synths where I don't really need USB.
5. The two devices causing trouble (Keylab and MCU) are the only devices that don't require any driver software installation.

As far as my testing went yesterday evening this has resolved much of the issue for me.
EDIT: Nevermind! As of today the same issue persists with both the Keylab and MCU.

I still have an issue with a custom Codec I wrote to be able to properly use the Keylab with Reason and I think I will have to rewrite it to be able to use it. I'm not sure what caused it to suddenly stop working (giving me the trouble mentioned above). The only thing I can think of is a recent Reason update that changed something.

@Pictus Thanks for the hints but these settings were all already in effect on my sytem.
Last edited by sys2074 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

Noted about usb midi trouble and the work around

I am glad to help.

Create a System Image or Restore Point
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... windows-11

And try USB Oblivion and reboot.
https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/usboblivion/

Pictus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:09 pm I am glad to help.

Create a System Image or Restore Point
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... windows-11

And try USB Oblivion and reboot.
https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/usboblivion/
Thanks for pointing at USB Oblivion! Very useful utility.

I wish I could report that it tackled the issue but unfortunately not fully. I did however get my Keylab and MCU to behave at least until I shut down the PC it seems. The next day they might screw up again but uninstalling them in the device manager and rebooting seems to fix it for a whole day.

Additionally to running USB Oblivion I uninstalled all MIDI-related software devices in the Windows device manager (check "Show hidden devices" and then look under the Software devices category). There were plenty of duplicate MIDI devices in there. I removed all related to anything MIDI and then rebooted. Maybe that helps for some people to get the issue fixed.

You are welcome!
I do not know if it is your case, but some older USB stuff only likes USB chipset like:
Fresco Logic
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B082N23Y6Z
Nec/Renesas
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/External- ... B06W9NLRC2

Looks like your Windows installation is borked.
I would do a clean Windows installation because
even if you add new USB port, it may not work either.

Another observation, PC USB ports have cheap connectors and they tarnish and fail. The signs are random operation. This is true of cables and connectors on devices as well. There are several products that may help clean ports such as Deoxit. Another option is to buy a PCIe card to add new ports.

In PC, there are a certain number of USB headers specific to mother board. Some may have 2 some 4 etc. Each header will be connected to few USB ports in the front or back. In many mother boards, one or two USB headers are available on the mother board but not wired to USB sockets. In some cases, if one USB port is damaged, may affect performance for the other USB ports from the same hub. For audio interfaces and midi controllers, it is better not to share USB ports with other things. The USB transfer speed is mentioned for the hub. If more than one device share the same USB hub, the resources will be reduced to each. Check your motherboard and see if spare header is available inside. A 10 dollars extension can be purchased to connect these headers out to new USB ports. Regards.
maanga

Double check for processes in task manager that should be closed. If things are staying open there then you may be able to force them closed with "end process tree". If this fixes the problem then make sure all your DAW, device firmware and USB drivers are up to date. I (pretty much randomly) will sometimes have a cubase.exe or maschine.exe still running and taking up RAM in task manager after closing the program.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Hello,

I have a similar problem with Arturia Keylab Essential mk3 here - I configure everything, and it's fine.

Then after reboot one of two things can happen:

1) The MIDI driver doesn't start (error 10) and so the MIDI devices aren't available
2) The MIDI driver starts correctly but the ports are seen in Windows with different names (a "2 -" is prepended to every Arturia MIDI port) so the DAW configuration is screwed...

Disconnecting and reconnecting the device seems to fix, the same as resetting the port using the "USBTtreeView" utility.

But it's not nice at all. Something is likely wrong in my Win 10 22H2 installation - it's years old and also "survived" a motherboard switch - but no other USB device gives similar problems...

- Mario

I had problems like this until I got a mioxl

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”