Hapax, - new hardware MPE sequencer

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Squarp Pyramid, and it's a great piece of hardware. I haven't had a chance to dig deep with the specs/manual for the Hapax but I am intrigued.

After seeing the teaser video Squarp put out I was just about ready to list my Pyramid on eBay and pre-order the Hapax, but, some aspects of the advertised seem considerably _lower_ than the Pyramid. It's likely because it's the initial firmware. When first shipped, the Pyramid was a sliver as capable as it is now as they released some _major_ firmware updates over the years. I assume the underlying compute power of the Hapax is adequate and as long as Squarp _wants_ to add all the Pyramid's functionality to the Hapax, they could.

I'm getting one. Because I like the design/UI and their previous sequencers, and it solves my problem of being torn between the worlds of hardware sequencing and MPE. I also considered the Deluge instead because of MPE functionality in their newest firmware (in beta last time I checked) but I know that the lack of screen on the Deluge will hamper my brains ability to remember the workflow steps at all times.

Looking at the Hapax manual, the initial firmware will record MPE but wont let you see MPE-specific data or edit it, although apparently the right MPE data does stay with the notes if you then move those notes around. They plan to add the ability to see and edit MPE data in later firmware.

I make no assumptions as to whether some of the stuff you are used to from the Pyramid will be added later, especially when it comes to number of patterns and maximum length of patterns. Maybe they will, but ultimately there are RAM limits and when considering these limits they have to allow for the maximum theoretical amount of data that could be added to a pattern when using an MPE controller. When that is combined with the fact this sequencer lets you have two projects loaded at the same time, I dont want to make any predictions about whether they will actually be confident to expand on length and number of patterns in future.

Can someone talk on Squarp's interface design? I look at that interface and I can't imagine me ever getting on with it.

Sounds like you have your answer there. I messed around with a Hermod and it made sense but the screen was too small. I almost ordered a Pyramid but with the MPE on the Hapax, I am taking a chance on one. Hapax looks more Elektron-y.

jsterne wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:33 pm Sounds like you have your answer there. I messed around with a Hermod and it made sense but the screen was too small. I almost ordered a Pyramid but with the MPE on the Hapax, I am taking a chance on one. Hapax looks more Elektron-y.
Thanks for info - the problem I have is whether that's good elektron (mnm and MD) or bad elektron (OT). Looks a bit Tekken to me, though often there's only one way to find out... I'll keep half an eye on it.

RMR has a nice walkthrough, though it doesn't touch on the MPE workflow

https://youtu.be/uSYwI_TivGk

I would have ordered one by now, if the first batch had not sold out so quickly. I don’t even imagine making much use of MPE recording, but on all accounts the Hapax just seems like the “right stuff” for me.
Oh, and you can set the isomorphic layout to be just like your linny.

I sort of impulse (back)ordered one last night. I used PayPal's 0% interest Pay-in-4 offering to soften the blow a bit. It looks like the 2nd batch won't be available until June or so, which gives me time to salvage what I need off of my Pyramid and put it into Logic and then sell the Pyramid. Looks like the resale price of the Pyramid is pretty good so the "upgrade" cost to the Hapax won't be too bad.

Here's another preview. There's a short discussion of MPE at 35:00.

https://youtu.be/Itpl4DCBvwk?t=2100

LarsDaniel wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:32 pm Oh, and you can set the isomorphic layout to be just like your linny.
And it will tell you what chord you are playing, which is helpful for someone like me who gets easily confused about what I am doing.

I got mine and can confirm that the USB host port works fine with the Linnstrument :)

I havent done much with it yet, especially not in MPE mode. But during some initial testing I did get the impression that the MPE implementation is reasonably intelligent. For example if I am overdub recording and play a note with the same MPE midi channel as a note which has already been recorded into that pattern, it gives the new note a different midi channel. But I probably need to do more testing before I make this sort of claim with 100% certainty.

DP
Sorry

Also got mine. It records MPE well. No edit options yet. I like it but am still learning it.

Are the 128 keyboard keys velocity sensitive?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”