Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:14 am
kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:48 amTBH Wavestate doesn't even have as many oscillators as a Wavestation (16 as opposed to 32)
Wrong, it has 64 stereo voices of polyphony. Wavestation was 32 voices mono. Wavestate also does quite a bit more synthesis-wise, so it definitely does have a chance of being more CPU expensive than the old Wavestation plugin. Altho, you could bump the old Wavestation plugin to 256 voices of polyphony, and that can definitely eat some CPU.
Oh well, good to see they've not limited the plugin. I was talking about the h/w. Pretty sure that has only 16 osc (4 patches with 4 osc each as opposed to the Wavestation's 8 X 4) though I'm not at home so I can't physically check right now.

That OP6 demo tune sounds rather Aiyn Zahev-like to me. Nicely done :tu:

xalama qo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:34 am I agree, the GUIs look great, they seem to be very clearly presented and tastefully done. I get the impression with this release that Korg is taking their software rather seriously. Which is great to see. They've been running circles around the other traditional big name hardware brands in terms of innovation/creativity lately, and I hope this is the beginning of a new era of Korg software.

Hopefully they'll do everything possible to not repeat the authorization headaches of their Collection series, and show Roland Cloud how to do things properly :D

The obvious question is will ModWave be next?
Strange that they didn't release Modwave as it was pretty obviously part of that group of 3. I guess they'll maybe keep interest up by doing it in steps. Modwave never really interested me - I just don't like the sound of wavetables for some reason. Can't remember a single wavetable synth that I could like, but if they release all 3 in plugin, it's a damn fine set of digitalness at its best. Korg are really doing a fine job recently. :clap:

kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:51 am
kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:48 amTBH Wavestate doesn't even have as many oscillators as a Wavestation (16 as opposed to 32)
Wrong, it has 64 stereo voices of polyphony. Wavestation was 32 voices mono. Wavestate also does quite a bit more synthesis-wise, so it definitely does have a chance of being more CPU expensive than the old Wavestation plugin. Altho, you could bump the old Wavestation plugin to 256 voices of polyphony, and that can definitely eat some CPU.
Oh well, good to see they've not limited the plugin. I was talking about the h/w. Pretty sure that has only 16 osc (4 patches with 4 osc each as opposed to the Wavestation's 8 X 4) though I'm not at home so I can't physically check right now.
No, hardware is exactly the same as plugin - 64 stereo voices of polyphony. I think you're mixing up polyphony with number of parts.

If anyone's demoing Opsix I strongly suggest checking out the sequencer with each patch (I assume it has the sequencer included in the plugin?). It sounds good already but quite a few patches on the hw really stopped me in my tracks when I played the associated sequencer riffs. It really shows the extent of what it can do not just sequencing notes but the FM part of it sometimes - like a whole new instrument attached to it.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:59 am
kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:51 am
No, hardware is exactly the same as plugin - 64 stereo voices of polyphony. I think you're mixing up polyphony with number of parts.
That's quite likely. Half way through a 12hr night shift so...yeah I might be talking shite already. :hihi:

EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:02 am
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 am Awesome :party:
Was Thinking of getting the OPSiX Since i am already Covered with Subtractive so this was a Instantbuy from me :)

I think this is a Smart Move During these Chip Shortage Times.

Btw. I Noticed that the Vst3 Was Installed in my Vst2 Folder so be aware of that if it doesn't show up in your Daw.
The Solution is to Move the Vst3 File to your Vst3 Folder and you are good to go.
I'm very tempted! How is the CPU usage?

The GUI seems like it has Massive X colours and design. Is it resizable? I wish there is a demo!
The Cpu usage is Ok :)
With Unison set to 8 it uses around 13% Here and goes up to 15% when Playing 4 note Chords.
This is on a Amd Ryzen 5 5600G (Windows 10 64bit).

Wavestate first impressions for me are very good. Really nice clear GUI, similar in some ways to Pigments with modulations showing at the bottom. Preset sounds are lovely, very clear and not overcrowded.

CPU is a little more than average, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

Nice one Korg.

The reverb on these keyboards is amazing. If the plugins sound exactly the same then wow. And please Korg make an effects plugin with that reverb. Thanks much :D

Plugins sound exactly the same. :)

If I'm going to be super critical, it's a pity that the GUIs remind me/us of Pigments and Massive X. Good influences, but would be nicer if these had a stronger individualistic (?) visual ID. Not riding off the strength of others.
I remember when LinPlug Spectral and NI Razor were released, superficially very similar GUIs, and LinPlug Spectral seemed a bit lost in the market like people weren't really sure what to make of it. Maybe it was just me though :) Anyway, it can be detrimental for one thing to be too reminiscent of another.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 pm Plugins sound exactly the same. :)
Woohoo!! :party:

I remember posting about this when the Wavestate came out (will they ever make a plugin version) and the 'KVR' response was a resounding 'never'...great to see they have done this- I sold my Wavestate as I just needed desk space and wasn't mad on the form factor, I will buy the plugins, so Korg get extra money they wound not have had from me at least...

So now- Iridium Plugin, Hydrasynth Plugin....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:00 am Very surprised by this. I bought both keyboards, but not in the slightest regretful - I prefer hw with knobs on anyway and at the time the only option was hw. I might actually buy them both, not sure. I don't like programming synths by mouse (hate it actually) but something like the Wavestate might be easier on a big screen, and I can patch it in sw, transfer to the hw via librarian and play/tweak it properly live. Wavestation was definitely easier in sw. Opsix is much easier to program on the hw so not sure about that one.

Odd. Korg didn't seem like they were particularly interested in plugins, and they kept this one VERY quiet. I'm happy that more people might get to play with Wavestate - it's a beautiful synth.
Even using them in tandem with their counterpart’s interfaces can be beneficial. I do that all the time, even with simple synths like my Prophet 6. It helps to see all the values as they are, not as the knobs happen to be because of the last preset. On something complex, like the PolyBrute, it’s really useful.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

D-Fusion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:24 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:02 am
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 am Awesome :party:
Was Thinking of getting the OPSiX Since i am already Covered with Subtractive so this was a Instantbuy from me :)

I think this is a Smart Move During these Chip Shortage Times.

Btw. I Noticed that the Vst3 Was Installed in my Vst2 Folder so be aware of that if it doesn't show up in your Daw.
The Solution is to Move the Vst3 File to your Vst3 Folder and you are good to go.
I'm very tempted! How is the CPU usage?

The GUI seems like it has Massive X colours and design. Is it resizable? I wish there is a demo!
The Cpu usage is Ok :)
With Unison set to 8 it uses around 13% Here and goes up to 15% when Playing 4 note Chords.
This is on a Amd Ryzen 5 5600G (Windows 10 64bit).
Thank you :tu:

I have a similar CPU (Ryzen 7 5800x), so I'm expecting the same result :)

It is not cheap, but the hardware sounds excellent, so if the software is the same exactly, then this means it worth it! I will decide tomorrow :)

Return to “Instruments”