Pro Tools is Now Subscription Only

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro Tools Artist Pro Tools Flex Pro Tools Intro Pro Tools Studio Pro Tools Ultimate

Imagine my shock...

Victims of capitalism :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Good news for Reaper!

Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe, subscri-hi-hibe…
I’m begging of you please do take my mon(ey)
Dolly P., 2022

Oh, OK. :shrug:

It does raise a question in mind, though. Maybe it's just me, but PT definitely seems to be losing its market share. Are developers of third party plugins continuing to support AAX, or are they dropping support for it? I haven't installed or used my PT license in years, so I haven't really followed who is and who isn't supporting the format, but it seems like I don't see it mentioned much anymore. Then again, KVR has never really had many PT users, so IDK...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

nvm

AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

What a shocker. :shrug:

So this is where DAWs go when they die.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Right, because this shit hole is where you go to find out where the industry is at. Pro Tools was never meant for the likes of you and me, it's for grown ups who have shit to do so they can get paid. Businesses definitely prefer subscriptions because it allows them to forecast costs when they are doing their annual budgets. I imagine it will be overwhelmingly appreciated by the customers Avid actually cares about and if it gets rid of a few more of the annoying idiots, all the better for them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It amazes me that there would be enough professionals in the music business to support a subscription only model. I would have thought the music software industry was reliant to a large extent on amateurs and hobbyists.
But then, what do I know?

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:11 am It amazes me that there would be enough professionals in the music business to support a subscription only model. I would have thought the music software industry was reliant to a large extent on amateurs and hobbyists.
Well, you can tell by their release of Artist that they think that they have some need to get more into the hobbyist market. In some sense, I feel that their subscription model, even for the entry tier, is less of problem than plugin subscriptions. It's an aspirational subscription. You get it if you think that you're going to "blow up" and need to take your silly home recordings to a "pro studio."

TBH, I don't give two shits about it, per se. I have an Avid guitar interface that was blown out a few years ago. It came with their excessively stupid "you can only save two songs" entry level pro-tools, I DGAF about that.

What is interesting is that it was easily predicted and yet the naysayers wouldn't believe that it was happening. See the NI Soundshark, or whatever it's called, merger thread.

In other news, I just downloaded Reaper 6.56 and notice that a version or two ago they added oversampling per FX chain. Cool. Can't wait to give Cockos another $60 for versions 7 and 8. Shit Cockos, raise the price, I'll give you a C-Note. What's that $60/ seven years (and counting, we
've probably got some ways to go) = less than a dollar a month?

Good for me. I just hope that Cubase Pro will never end up as a $1000/year subscription because my earnings are not the same as Zimmer or AAA game studios which can put that amount of money (even they would say: "use Reaper, it's free" ;) ).

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:11 am It amazes me that there would be enough professionals in the music business to support a subscription only model. I would have thought the music software industry was reliant to a large extent on amateurs and hobbyists.
As far as I always read, the Pro Tools clientele is pretty different to that of, say, Cubase, Studio One or Reaper. Lots of... well... professionals. Just like with Adobe's picture editing software, it seems that they have less of an issue with subscriptions.

On the other hand, a few DAW's go partly subscription as well. Reason, Studio One, Bitwig also has a price model similar to a subscription. I'm pretty sure that others will follow as well. As long as they also offer perpetual licenses, I don't mind. A subscription would be wrong for my use case, as I'm not at all a power user.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”