switch from studio one to cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys,

iam thinking about switching to cubase, due to the lack of midi fx (namely a lfo) in studio one.
i just need a simple way to modulate lets say a reverb size.
is it worth switching to cubase just for that, and what pain is waiting for me?

thanks
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

I would use the Automation in S1 if it is about modulation a parameter. It has great automation shapes and Transform function (Cubase also has them). In the image below, I inserted Vintage Verb and automate the size by drawing repeated Sine wave (like lfo) and then transform it with the Transform function to make it fade away to the top:
S1 Automation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yes, the automation tools are great.
but i want a lfo. which you can modulate by another lfo, for instance.
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

So maybe Bitwig is the best fit ;) You can go really crazy with modulations!

greententacle wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:14 amiam thinking about switching to cubase, due to the lack of midi fx (namely a lfo) in studio one.
Did you already checked other options?

Both VCV Rack and Voltage Modular can load VST plugins, at least VCV Rack can modulate any parameter of the plugin. Obviously not just with an LFO, also with envelopes, sequencers, whatever.

vcv-rack-fx-softube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rastkovic wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:00 am
greententacle wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:14 amiam thinking about switching to cubase, due to the lack of midi fx (namely a lfo) in studio one.

Both VCV Rack and Voltage Modular can load VST plugins, at least VCV Rack can modulate any parameter of the plugin. Obviously not just with an LFO, also with envelopes, sequencers, whatever.

vcv-rack-fx-softube.jpg
that seems quite interesting. how is the cpu load of vcv, using it just as modulator?
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

EnGee wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 am So maybe Bitwig is the best fit ;) You can go really crazy with modulations!
iam old.iam used to standard sequencing.
i know bitwig can do that too, but to me it looks like a candyshop, color and optic wise.
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

Hi,

I think Cubase is wonderfull and very powerfull for midi ... but for your need check this pluging maybe it will help you :

https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

Midi effects like LFO are extremely poor in Cubase. LFO is very basic and sometimes doesn't work with parameters of 3rd party plugins.
I don't know which year they introduced them (90's?) but it seems that they didn't improved them even once since then.
Don't switch to Cubase just for that.

greententacle wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm
Rastkovic wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:00 am

vcv-rack-fx-softube.jpg
that seems quite interesting. how is the cpu load of vcv, using it just as modulator?
For such kind of stuff I would recommend in first place the Mulab plugin... https://www.mutools.com/index.html
It runs without any noticeable CPU hit, has tons over tons of very flexible modulators inside which can easily be assigned to every automatable parameter of any VST... and would solve as well the midi plugin problem...

It doesnยดt load VST3 plugins though...but comes with many other goodies which you can consider as energyXT on steroids including one of the best timestretching algos available, a complete modular soundengine including granular and wavetable and a very very versatile clip launcher which basically wipe the floor with everything else out there...

Reaper has a comfy one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcEeFSn7MQ
although modulators can't modulate modulators but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYyA5_KfJE
chained macros can be created https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188335

ps. + subprojects can be used nicely in it as sound design playgrounds
Sound design: Subprojects are a great way for a sound designer to build โ€˜compoundโ€™ sounds, by which I mean various clips that are combined in some way to create a new sound. Usually, youโ€™d either layer these over several tracks in your main project, or create them in a separate project, render them to an audio file, and use that rendered version in your project. Combining them in a Subproject means you can use them within a scene just like any other media, but still dive in and make tweaks and changes if required. Any changes will then dynamically update throughout the project, wherever they occur.

The same approach is also useful when doing early work with draft sounds, as these can later be updated en masse. Say, for example, that youโ€™re laying out the first draft of the sound for a big sci-fi battle for a film or a game cut scene. Youโ€™re not quite sure what you want the laser-gun to sound like, but you need a starting point. Rather than lay in a draft WAV file, you nest that WAV within a Subproject. Later on, once you have the whole scene laid out, you can edit or replace the contents of the Subproject, and every instance of it in the scene will be updated dynamically to reflect that change.
- https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ubprojects
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

You're probably better off just buying something like LFO Tool by xfer records and sticking with Studio One.
https://splice.com/plugins/265-lfotool- ... er-records

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Cubase 12 demo after three years of Studio One. Especially since now there is no need for the dongle. And after a few days I already have the feeling that I'm not missing anything when sticking with S1.

pixel85 wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:21 pm Midi effects like LFO are extremely poor in Cubase. LFO is very basic and sometimes doesn't work with parameters of 3rd party plugins.
I don't know which year they introduced them (90's?) but it seems that they didn't improved them even once since then.
Don't switch to Cubase just for that.
Yep.

There really isn't much in there which Studio One can't do, so switching because of that alone is surely pointless.

If it's just for the LFO modulation, as has been pointed, it can easily be done with third party plugins.

Yeah - once upon a time Cubase was absolute king for anything midi but they lost the plot along the way. Can't remember which version, but not long after they became a fully fledged DAW with the plugins and stuff they started lopping off quite a lot of midi stuff. Over they years they seem to have been slowly adding some of them back in - and fanfaring about their "new" features that are simply ones they slashed then reintroduced.

I distinctly remember making up my own synth maps for automating midi synths - using hexadecimal and all that shit back in the day on pre v3.5 Cubases. Using Logical Editor for all kinds of crazy stuff. And one day Logical editor seemed to disappear (at least in a useful form). SX2 was a bit of a WTF did Steinberg do!? after I got it. It's back in now and most of the original midi stuff has crept back in but nah - don't swap to Cubase for that type of stuff - they're not the best at it for a long time, and I'm a died-in-the-wool Cubase user. Always have been. It's a great all-rounder if you like their style and it does have all sorts of midi plugins in it. But as mentioned - you can get plugins that can do that kind of stuff cheap and easy for using in S1 (or any DAW)

Return to โ€œHosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)โ€