switch from studio one to cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lfm wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:03 pm Cubase is good, I just left at 9.5 due to new video engine was so heavy on cpu it was unusable. Both StudioOne and Cakewalk/Sonar was like 1/3 to run the same project.
Fortunately I don‘t have to do film scoring etc., but when I gave it a try with S1 just for fun, it was not a good experience. S1 is lacking many video related comfort features, e.g. automatic tempo calculation between cue points to match bars and beats. But I digress…

Crossinger wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:18 pm
lfm wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:03 pm Cubase is good, I just left at 9.5 due to new video engine was so heavy on cpu it was unusable. Both StudioOne and Cakewalk/Sonar was like 1/3 to run the same project.
Fortunately I don‘t have to do film scoring etc., but when I gave it a try with S1 just for fun, it was not a good experience. S1 is lacking many video related comfort features, e.g. automatic tempo calculation between cue points to match bars and beats. But I digress…
Agree. I'd go to Digital Performer (only if on macOS), Logic Pro or Pro Tools before Studio One or Cakewalk if you're doing Film Scoring.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

The last time I used Cubase seriously was about 10 to 12 years ago with Cubase 5.5. After that, I stopped producing music as I was homeless and only started recording again about a year ago with Studio One. I'd demo'd the later iterations of Cubase but they were too unstable, like the earlier SX versions of Cubase. I tried out C12 about two months ago. It's been so stable that I fire it up 99% of the time. I may go to 100% and save space on my HD by removing S1. We'll see.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

hey guys, so i finally test drive cubase 12.
can someone explain me how i trigger a insert effect with the same midi signal as the instrument/audio channel?
🇷🇺

As far as I know, nothing has changed in Cubase (or S1). If you want to use a third party midi effect, you insert the midi effect as an instrument in its own track then route it to the desired instrument. It's not like Live, Bitwig or Reaper. That's the old way, I'm not sure Cubase has changed it.

If you want a midi effect (included in Cubase), just insert it in the midi section from the inspector panel.

hey,
I don't want a midi effect. i want to trigger a insert effect (filter) with the same midi as the instrument that contains the effect.
i can create a new midi track, duplicate the midi file there, and send the output to the filter.
problem is, if i wanna change something, i have to change two midi files, instead of one.
🇷🇺

greententacle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:43 am hey,
I don't want a midi effect. i want to trigger a insert effect (filter) with the same midi as the instrument that contains the effect.
i can create a new midi track, duplicate the midi file there, and send the output to the filter.
problem is, if i wanna change something, i have to change two midi files, instead of one.
In this case you have to use an “old” midi track not an instrument track a midi source. In the track inspector you can find a midi send index tab from where you can send the data to multiple destinations/instruments.

Cheers
Marcel

hlecram wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:00 am
In this case you have to use an “old” midi track not an instrument track a midi source. In the track inspector you can find a midi send index tab from where you can send the data to multiple destinations/instruments.

Cheers
Marcel

hey thanks,
i tried that, and i can send normal via inspector to the effect.no need for a send. but i can't receive midi from the instrument track where the midi file is running.
🇷🇺

greententacle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:04 am

Cheers
Marcel

hey thanks,
i tried that, and i can send normal via inspector to the effect.no need for a send. but i can't receive midi from the instrument track where the midi file is running.
ok, think i got it. using the "old" midi track to run the midi file and send from there. i will try that.👍
🇷🇺

greententacle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:06 am
greententacle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:04 am

Cheers
Marcel

hey thanks,
ok, think i got it. using the "old" midi track to run the midi file and send from there. i will try that.👍
Yeah that’s what I meant. :wink:

Cheers
Marcel

Trancit wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:38 amNevertheless I wonder why the "normal" DAWs are so restricted in terms of midi plugins respectively the use of 3rd party ones...
Just a guess, but I'd say it's because those things are stupid and nobody who actually pays for their software would use them.
I mean Reason with their player devices, Ableton with their stock and M4l devices and the latest Bitwig additions showcase how incredible powerful this stuff is and with a good developer very easy to use for anybody...
You say powerful, I say a waste of developer resources that could be put into other things. Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing I would use a MIDI plugin for and I've been doing this for a very long time.
But the "major" platforms ...they give a shit on this and continue with their incredible cumbersome routing workarounds which give mostly more trouble than that they actually add some benefit...
That's probably because most of their customers don't care.
greententacle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:41 amanother question:
in logic pro i can connect as many plugins i want to the same midi file, all playing the same.
just a cabel in environment.
in studio one i have to setup a duplicate midi file.
is there a workaround?
It doesn't need a "workaround", it achieves exactly the same result. Think of it as a different way of dong the same thing. And Crossinger has explained a third way of doing it. All valid, none a "workaround", just different ways of doing the same thing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
Trancit wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:38 amNevertheless I wonder why the "normal" DAWs are so restricted in terms of midi plugins respectively the use of 3rd party ones...
Just a guess, but I'd say it's because those things are stupid and nobody who actually pays for their software would use them.
I mean Reason with their player devices, Ableton with their stock and M4l devices and the latest Bitwig additions showcase how incredible powerful this stuff is and with a good developer very easy to use for anybody...
You say powerful, I say a waste of developer resources that could be put into other things. Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing I would use a MIDI plugin for and I've been doing this for a very long time.
But the "major" platforms ...they give a shit on this and continue with their incredible cumbersome routing workarounds which give mostly more trouble than that they actually add some benefit...
in logic pro i can connect as many plugins i want to the same midi file, all playing the same.
is there a workaround?
It doesn't need a "workaround", it achieves exactly the same result. Think of it as a different way of dong the same thing. And Crossinger has explained a third way of doing it. All valid, none a "workaround", just different ways of doing the same thing.
nothing else to do? :hihi:
🇷🇺

I just thought a little bit of reality may be of some use.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

greententacle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:56 am
BONES wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
is there a workaround?
nothing else to do? :hihi:
Again another confirmation why Bones made it as the first entry into my foe list...
If you wouldn´t have quoted him I wouldn´t even have seen it... what a jerk... :tu:

I have used both Studio One since vesion 1.5 and Cubase since verion 8. I did 90 percent of my production in Reason and then used Studio One for mixing and Mastering. Recently demoed Cubase 12, bought it after a couple of days and I have to say its been such a joy to work with. Having used pretty much every major DAW over the years, Cubase Pro just feels so powerful in terms of features. I can do pretty much anything I need inside of it without having to rely on other software. I still find producing music in Reason the most enjoyable because I love the Rack system and players but for MIxing and Mastering I cant imagine not using Cubase at this point.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”