Surge XT: Okay I give up, what exactly is going on with the three additional tracks it opens up?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

In addition to the instrument track, it also creates an A track, a B track and an Output track.

Sounds close to self explanatory until I realize:

Turning up A makes A louder
Turning up B makes B louder
Turning up Output plays both A and B _regardless of whether I have turned both A and B all the way down or not_. (I was expecting Output to yield no sound if both A and B were turned down all the way.)
Changing the actualy Surge XT track's volume has no discernible effect on what I'm hearing.

What's up with all that?

Well, the question is, what DAW are you using? Surge has three output channels: scene A, scene B and the mix of both.
Reaper gives you the option to build all those channels or just a single stereo output, but doesn't need an additional MIDI track, because it uses the same track for MIDI and audio.
Cakewalk for example always has a MIDI track and an audio track for a virtual instrument.
And where are you turning down the output? In your DAW mixer or at the volume slider in the scene output section?

I'm using Reaper. When I talk about turning down the output I'm referring to the track labeled "output" that Surge XT generates (after a prompt) when create an instrument track with it. So, turning down output in DAW mixer.

When you add Surge to a new Intrument track in Reaper, it asks whether it should build all 3 output tracks or not. If you choose 'no' it just creates a single track for MIDI and audio combined.
Moving a mixer slider in Reaper doesn't affect other channels at all (except you have a post-fader send to the respective channel). The Surge output channels are independent from each other.
Try changing the volume fader in the scene output section in Surge. That should make a difference.
Last edited by SeBaer on Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Additional tracks are for individual scene outputs, if you want to process scenes A and B separately. Output track is the main output of Surge XT, with both scenes mixed down and global FX and sends etc.

You don't need those tracks necessarily - if you just drag&drop Surge XT from Reaper's FX browser directly onto an empty track, it will just use that one track alone.

Return to “Instruments”